PDA

View Full Version : K9 - Old vs. New

Hillbilly
03-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Recently, I became a proud owner of an older K9 (AE05**), made in perhaps early '96. I know changes have occurred, but what?
I notice that the frame is flat is at the slide release area, but what are the other differences between this early model and newer production models?
Thanks in advance for your generous help.

wyntrout
03-12-2010, 06:49 PM
I got mine new March 1998 -- matte stainless steel with night sights. Do you know what metal yours is made from? I know they started with blued steel and later switched to all stainless and later added an optional Diamond Like Coating Blackened finish.

I don't see any obvious differences other than maybe yours is blued steel? I'm sure that there have been changes and maybe someone else can help you.

The only problem I ever had was with several brands of ammo that wouldn't chamber -- very tight chamber. The first I tried was Corbon of some kind and not all of it would chamber. When I forced it, fired, and then couldn't get the case out, I gave the rest back to the gun shop. It was basically single shot with that stuff. One other time later, I bought some ammo at a gun show, went out to my vehicle and tried it. The dealer let me return it. I haven't had any problems since then, but I don't think I've put more than a thousand rounds through it. I'll surpass that pretty soon... a few months... with my PM9 which is my main carry now.
I just shot some pictures -- not my best -- I hate those darn CFLs -- yellowish light.
Wynn

Hillbilly
03-12-2010, 07:32 PM
This one is carbon steel.

jocko
03-13-2010, 03:33 AM
I don't think the newer models come with those nice rubber grips. I love mine for feel and comfort and thinness . the dovetail on the sights are different on your model than the newer ones. I don'tthink your model is the stainless version either. a very nice kahr indeed though.

Hillbilly
03-13-2010, 07:39 AM
I love the grips! I still wonder about the absence of the relief on the side of the frame and any other differences...
Thanks for your comments!

jocko
03-13-2010, 08:31 AM
I love the grips! I still wonder about the absence of the relief on the side of the frame and any other differences...
Thanks for your comments!

that the stainless being stronger than the carbon steel version, Kahr was able to do some relieve work on the all stainless versions, or probably just the fact that back then they just never thought about doing it either. Also that relief area reduced over all weight to..

certainly not a design flaw or weakness in ur carbon version. these gun companies are also like car companies, if they don't make some kind of design/cosmetic changes in their guns sometimes. they tend to get stale on the market etc.....:third:

ripley16
03-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Recently, I became a proud owner of an older K9 (AE05**), made in perhaps early '96. I know changes have occurred, but what?
I notice that the frame is flat is at the slide release area, but what are the other differences between this early model and newer production models?

My first Kahr was this early K9, made soon after yours. It's serial number is AE18XX.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/guns001.jpg

Here's a new K9 that shows the different frame shape above the trigger. The whole front end of the frame is more narrow.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Kahr/LouPatKahr018.jpg

I believe the recoil spring rate was higher in the early Kahr, Maybe 22# instead of 20#.
The only other difference I'm aware of is the trigger travel was uniformly long on all K9s.

Hillbilly
03-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Gentlemen, thank you for your informative comments. This K9 appears to have been fired very little; it came to me with a broken firing pin, having replaced that, I am looking forwarding to knowing this piece very well!

jocko
03-14-2010, 01:28 PM

due to the age of the gun and you no knowledge of its shootig history REPLACE WITH NEW RECOIL SPRINGS. You can order direct from kahr or go to gunsprings.com (wolffs ) and order them there, alittle lower in price. Wolffs makes kahrs springs. If u do that why not just go ahead and order a 3 pak of their 5% estra strength magazine springs while ur at it and start fresh with this fine gun with new springs. If u do so, your kahr has 20# factory springs in it. Mya dvice would be to order the 22# recoil springs. Really works great. I have um on my K9... cheaper in paks of 3 also from woolffs and their delivery is much faster also.

A broken striker pin is so so so so so rare indeed.

You have a really nice vintage kahr IMO:third:

Hillbilly
03-15-2010, 07:30 AM
That seems like a great suggestion; I will look into replacing those springs!

GOOFA
03-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Here's a pic of my K9 DLC which is stainless.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2303/2131965194_6854bf5047_d.jpg