PDA

View Full Version : pocket carry PM40 or PM45

racer_13b
09-08-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm looking at buying either a pm40 or pm45 this weekend. I plan to pocket carry this pistol. Its going to be my everyday gun and I just wanted to get people comments based on experience on either pistol.

One of my concerns with the pm45 is its size.

Pm45 owner are you able to pocket carry your gun comfortably?

On pm40 I only have on concern. Did Kahr resolve the feeding issue that I have read about on other forums and what would be a good serial number to buy?

Oh and any insightful information is always welcomed.

Thanks,
Scott

jocko
09-08-2009, 02:28 PM
PM sent.. good luck in your choice

cineski
09-08-2009, 04:52 PM
The PM9/40's are a bit thinner than the 45 series. I'd stick with the .40 for pocket carry. Although the 9/40 is still a bit big for this.

notned01
09-09-2009, 03:14 PM
I carry the PM 45 in cargo pants side pockets just fine. 9/40/45 all a little large for front pockets for me. IWB is my choice though.

JimE
09-09-2009, 07:20 PM
The PM 45 is too large to comfortably carry in the front pocket of dress pants. Cargo pants, no problem. I did just order the pocket holster with the clip holder for carrying in my cargo pants.

yankee2500
09-09-2009, 07:43 PM
I would stick with the .40 for pocket carry , seems to be about the max size and weight most people can tote in a front pocket. I have a pocket holster for my PM40 but have not tried it out, maybe tommrow I'll give it a try and post my thoughts on it.
John

mammynun
09-10-2009, 06:28 AM
I'm not comfortable with my PM45 in my pocket. I use an IWB holster from www.crossbreedholsters.com

jfmay
09-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Can you tell me which pocket holder you ordered?

OLDMAN0090
09-10-2009, 02:45 PM
:D I'd go with the PM 40 for front pocket carry; it's the same size, if not very close to the same size as the PM 9. I have carried the PM 9 in my right front pocket for approximately 6 years with no problems. It works well with jeans, dress slacks, shorts or whatever. After trying several different makers, I settled with the Don Hume pocket hoster, and have been well satisified with it. I had a PM 45, and tried it with a front pocket carry and it was just a tad too large; it printed. Good luck with your choice in handgun and holster selection.

deadhead1971
09-10-2009, 02:57 PM
The .40 kicks more than a .45 I think. The .40 is a higher pressure round--follow up shots harder.

Have you shot a .40 in a small sub-compact polymer frame handgun? Some folks absolutely hate it---too hard on the hands

jocko
09-10-2009, 03:52 PM
The .40 kicks more than a .45 I think. The .40 is a higher pressure round--follow up shots harder.

Have you shot a .40 in a small sub-compact polymer frame handgun? Some folks absolutely hate it---too hard on the hands

agree, I would shoot a PM40 before I would buy it. Not sure the recoil is one tha tyou will like either..

JimE
09-10-2009, 07:19 PM
I ordered the Stellar Rigs Keydex pocket holster with the extra mag holder right from the Kahr web site.

Cappy
09-11-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm looking at buying either a pm40 or pm45 this weekend. I plan to pocket carry this pistol. Its going to be my everyday gun and I just wanted to get people comments based on experience on either pistol.

One of my concerns with the pm45 is its size.

Pm45 owner are you able to pocket carry your gun comfortably?

On pm40 I only have on concern. Did Kahr resolve the feeding issue that I have read about on other forums and what would be a good serial number to buy?

Oh and any insightful information is always welcomed.

Thanks,
Scott

If you choose the PM40, you may wish to check out the below pocket holster. I have not used one yet, but did order one for my PM9. I have used Galco and Uncle Mike for my Kel-Tec. I like the leather shield on this holster to prevent a print in your pocket (http://www.pocketholsters.com/index.html (http://www.pocketholsters.com/index.html)).
http://www.pocketholsters.com/Kahr_Arms_Pocket_Wallet_Holste/KahrRHLH.jpg

jocko
09-11-2009, 03:30 PM
thats a good holster. I used to carry my PM9 in it but just slowly retreated back to my trusty desantis nemesis for pocket carry I stuff a handkerchief in that cut out area on my desantis to fill that void, just makes my pocket look like a blackberry at best, certainly no gun print. Not a fast draw rig though as neither is the one pictured due to tightness of jeans. but that is a good rig... takes awhile to break in softly for me.

500KV
09-11-2009, 04:56 PM
I know this will bring a chuckle, but I've never owned a pocket holster and just figured out that the big piece of leather faces out.

I always just stuff my PM9 in my front pocket or whatever else I might carry in my waistband behind (mexican style).

Is that right handed holster supposed to be carried in a back pocket, and if so, can you sit down alright with it there ?

Cappy
09-11-2009, 07:55 PM
I have not used this holster yet, but I have used my pocket holsters (Galco & Uncle Mike) with my Kel-Tec in my back pocket with no problems. I ride a motorcycle and if I take off my vest, I tend to stick my gun in my back pocket while the vest is on a chair. No problems sitting!!

mammynun
09-12-2009, 06:08 AM
Can you tell me which pocket holder you ordered?

If you're asking me, I got the Crossbreed "MiniTuck" for the Kahr PM series. Very comfortable and nearly invisible. Once I "mentally" got used to carrying, I often forget I have it on.

jocko
09-12-2009, 06:18 AM
I know this will bring a chuckle, but I've never owned a pocket holster and just figured out that the big piece of leather faces out.

I always just stuff my PM9 in my front pocket or whatever else I might carry in my waistband behind (mexican style).

Is that right handed holster supposed to be carried in a back pocket, and if so, can you sit down alright with it there ?

To his own style of carry, but I would never stuff a semi auto in my pocket without something covering the trigger gurard. I'm not sure, u willget alot of verbal support for that type of carry but again each to his own style.. guarantee you it will print more in your pocket being carried without a pocketholster which is made tos erve to basic purposes. Protection of the trigger guard and also to relieve some printing of the gun itself.

500KV
09-12-2009, 06:29 AM
To his own style of carry, but I would never stuff a semi auto in my pocket without something covering the trigger gurard. I'm not sure, u willget alot of verbal support for that type of carry but again each to his own style.. guarantee you it will print more in your pocket being carried without a pocketholster which is made tos erve to basic purposes. Protection of the trigger guard and also to relieve some printing of the gun itself.

I agree with the safety concerns you mentioned, and don't remember asking for anyone's verbal support.
I just try to keep my head screwed on when carrying.

I've got a box-full of holsters but really never use them much. Never had a pocket type and just wondered how they worked and how folks liked them.

earle8888
10-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Pocket carry PM40 great! Need holster for my P45.m Consider the weight difference in the ammo, 230/45, 180/40

dirty_sanchez
10-03-2010, 10:20 PM

But I reeally like shooting my PM 40 and carrying it in the front pocket of my Levis and even in lightweight shorts.

Here's an old Galco IWB that's been under the razor blade for some reshaping and also to remove the belt clip from years back. It started out life as a hoster for a revolver if anyone is wondering:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/lauriefromla/ChipsAlbum/IMG_0982.jpg

Folks that say it kicks too much must sand in their craw.

Dirty

Cartero391
12-12-2010, 08:26 PM
The PM45 is a perfect fit in the GalcoPro 286 (leather) holster. :)

kahrseye
12-12-2010, 08:36 PM
I use a Galco Pro 460 pocket holster for my PM45. I pocket carry my PM45 on occasion. Recently I purchased a Tagua paddle holster for it on ebay.

O'Dell
12-12-2010, 10:10 PM
I seem to be out of step with most as I pocket carried a PM45 all spring, summer, and fall. The only exception was in jeans, as the pocket are too small. I also frequently carry it in an inside jacket pocket without a problem. Since the weather has become cooler, I've been belt carrying some of my other 45's with a jacket or untucked shirt, but the PM45 worked quite well in the warm and hot weather.