PDA

View Full Version : Gold Dots for CM 9

painter
11-03-2012, 08:36 AM
New guy here. I just picked up a new CM 9 and have put about 300 rounds through it consisting of my handloads using Berry's 124 HBRN at 1.14 and some factory ammo which measures 1.15. The handloads were a little soft for the Kahr although they run great in my CZ. My handloads cycled fine, but wouldn't lock the slide back on an empty mag all the time. The factory stuff locked the slide back every time.

Does anyone load Gold Dots with Unique?

My question is if the OAL that Alliant lists cycles in the CM 9. They suggest 1.12.

Thanks in advance.

Micha2u
11-03-2012, 09:37 AM
For what it's worth, I measured the C.O.L on a couple of dozen factory loaded 124 gr +P Short Barrel Gold Dots and they consistently were at 1.123". These work well in my CM9.

I use Power Pistol rather than Unique when I reload Gold Dot bullets.

painter
11-03-2012, 09:49 AM
For what it's worth, I measured the C.O.L on a couple of dozen factory loaded 124 gr +P Short Barrel Gold Dots and they consistently were at 1.123". These work well in my CM9.

I use Power Pistol rather than Unique when I reload Gold Dot bullets.

Thanks for your response.

I happen to have Unique, so I figured I'd use it as it develops plenty of velocity according to the published load data. I find it's pretty sooty at lower loads so I thought using it up for practice SD rounds might be just the ticket.

I may try something else when it's gone.

Ikeo74
11-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Painter, what charge wt. of unique are you using?

painter
11-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Painter, what charge wt. of unique are you using?
I haven't loaded any for the Kahr yet. I just got this pistol this past week. I've loaded them for my CZ up to max.

According to the Alliant data, which is for a 4" barrel, they list 5.8 as max.

My experience is that powders perform best when they're used at 96%, or above, of max.

I was going to load some up at 5.6 and 5.7gr. and see how they do. They should run around 1100 fps. That should somewhat mimic the Speer short barrel ammo.

muggsy
11-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Power Pistol is cleaner burning and produces lower muzzle flash. It also meters more consistently through your powder measure than Unique. Try it you'll like it.

Micha2u
11-09-2012, 11:32 AM
I ran out of 9mm Gold Dot 124gr bullets to reload and I am having trouble locating any in stock.

Has anyone found any of these in stock somewhere that you could point me to?

Thanks.

painter
11-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Power Pistol is cleaner burning and produces lower muzzle flash. It also meters more consistently through your powder measure than Unique. Try it you'll like it.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for when the Unique is gone.

JFootin
11-09-2012, 02:10 PM
I ran out of 9mm Gold Dot 124gr bullets to reload and I am having trouble locating any in stock.

Has anyone found any of these in stock somewhere that you could point me to?

Thanks.

Page through these listings of thr 50 round LE boxes:
http://www.kylesgunshop.com/store.php/ct50216/ammo__9mm_defense__duty

Micha2u
11-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks but I am looking for 9mm 124 gr Gold Dot bullets to reload and not loaded ammo...

painter
11-10-2012, 06:10 AM
Thanks but I am looking for 9mm 124 gr Gold Dot bullets to reload and not loaded ammo...
You might consider 125 gr GD listed for 357 SIG. Speer part# is 4360

They're the same .355 diameter and would be better than going without.

Powder Valley shows them in stock.

Micha2u
11-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Great idea...I was not aware the 357 SIG Gold Dots were also .355" diameter.

For what it is worth, I called Speer and found out that the 9mm 124 gr Gold Dot bullets are exactly the same in the regular and short barrel loaded ammo they sell with the difference being in the powder used to get more velocity quicker in the short barrel version.

I would guess that the 357 SIG Gold Dot bullets would be tuned to perform and mushroom at about 200 fps higher than the 9mm Gold Dot versions. I've got factory loaded 9mm Gold Dots for self defense but since I would use my handloaded Gold Dots for practice, that looks like a good way to go.

By the way, Powder Valley is showing these as out of stock as well this morning but I see that Midway has some.

Thanks again!

painter
11-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Great idea...I was not aware the 357 SIG Gold Dots were also .355" diameter.

For what it is worth, I called Speer and found out that the 9mm 124 gr Gold Dot bullets are exactly the same in the regular and short barrel loaded ammo they sell with the difference being in the powder used to get more velocity quicker in the short barrel version.

I would guess that the 357 SIG Gold Dot bullets would be tuned to perform and mushroom at about 200 fps higher than the 9mm Gold Dot versions. I've got factory loaded 9mm Gold Dots for self defense but since I would use my handloaded Gold Dots for practice, that looks like a good way to go.

By the way, Powder Valley is showing these as out of stock as well this morning but I see that Midway has some.

Thanks again!
Interesting that you're seeing out of stock.

My screen says they have them. :confused:

I'd give them a call.