PDA

View Full Version : IDPA Holster Recommendations?

garyb
11-09-2012, 03:12 PM
I've been shooting IDPA with my PM40 and have a G&G thumb break for it that I use for carry. Probably slows my times down along with the gun...the gun that I love for carry. However, I recently purchased a 5"tactical gun for competion to help speed up my progress and sort things out between ME and my PM. I still plan to carry my PM40 and am using IDPA as one of the training things I do. Anyway, I am familiar with some IDPA holsters like Fobus, BladeTech, Comp, etc.
Does anyone have other suggestions for IDPA approved belt holsters? What are you using and why do you like it? I am kind of shying away from paddle holsters because the G&G thumbbreak paddle does not feel as comfortable as the belt attachment. I am thinking belt holsters are more secure for faster draw. I could be wrong. Anyway, I need to buy a new one for my new S&W MP40PRO and want an IDPA approved belt holster....one that I could also use for concealed carry at times. Thanks.

garyb
11-30-2012, 02:00 PM
No need to answer...I purchased Comp-Tac products for IDPA. Thanks.

AIRret
11-30-2012, 03:43 PM

Which one? And what kind of mag carrier?

AIRret
11-30-2012, 05:24 PM

Which of the two competition models?

garyb
12-01-2012, 08:09 AM
AirRet, This is what I purchased (cut and pasted from an email I received directly from Comp-Tac). They were good to deal with. I had hoped to get free holiday shipping, but no go. I have heard good things about their products and thought I'd give them a try because I was certain they would be IDPA compliant and appeared to be of good quality.

First, I want to recommend our Pro Competition Kit to you. This kit will come with an international holster (found here http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=182 (http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=182)) and a Twin Mag Pouch (found here: http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=29 (http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=29) ). The International is one of our most popular holsters for IDPA shooters due to its precise fit.

The Pro Competition Kit, with an additional Single Mag Pouch will cost $139.50 before taxes and shipping

AIRret
12-01-2012, 01:23 PM
sounds good. Let us know how it works out.

Redstate
12-02-2012, 09:41 AM
I shoot IDPA with whatever holster I use for carry. I am not about to win any IDPA competition, so I shoot IDPA for practice with what I carry. On the other hand, I have a different philosophy for USPSA where I game it a bit, not to say that I am going to win any USPSA competitions.
In my opinion and practice, the bottom line for IDPA is to practice with what I carry.

garyb
12-03-2012, 07:46 AM
I shoot IDPA with whatever holster I use for carry. I am not about to win any IDPA competition, so I shoot IDPA for practice with what I carry. On the other hand, I have a different philosophy for USPSA where I game it a bit, not to say that I am going to win any USPSA competitions.
In my opinion and practice, the bottom line for IDPA is to practice with what I carry.

Cool. I had the same practice with what I carry philosophy until recently. I can't disagree with you. However, I kind of plateaued out with my PM40 and decided to get better at the game to improve and extend my shooting skills with more competitive equipment. My hope is to improve even more with my PM and occassionally rotate it into the IDPA sessions to see if I am improving. We'll see how this goes. Thanks for your input.

HighLander51
01-09-2013, 02:03 PM
I run a BladeTech straight drop belt holster for IDPA and for USPSA. The old solid laminate model is no longer made, but there new Black Ice model is pretty close to it.

garyb
08-23-2013, 09:54 AM
The Comp-Tac holster and mag pouches work like a dream. Competing in IDPA with the M&P40Pro and Comp-Tac equipment has significantly raised the bar on my shooting and gun handling ability...even with my PM40. I attribute most of the improvement to IDPA, but the competition equipment also helps a great deal. IDPA is a game, but it is an extremely useful training program. If you folks have never tried it, go watch a local match and give it a try. Your "gun handling" will jump to a much higher level than you ever imagined. The experienced folks shoot along with the newbies and trust me, they will help you tremendously. It only takes a match or two to feel the improvement and get hooked on the game. Lots of fun and good people out there who are into the shooting sports and gun rights.