PDA

View Full Version : P9 Barrel in CW9?

thornb
03-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks for everyone who responded to my question on switching out the CW9s MiM slide stop for the P9s machined slide stop. Everyone seems to agree that it is 100% good to go.

But here is another question much along the same lines. Can you switch out the conventionally rifled barrel of a CW9 for the polygonal rifled barrel of the P9?

Basically these questions boil to how close you can make a CW9 into a P9. The idea being that over time as you shoot and become accustomed to the CW9, which was of a lower initial investment, that over time by replacing CW9 parts for P9 parts you would eventually end up with a P9 in every sense, except for the slide. Although I suppose you might even be able to put on one of those as well since the P9 and CW9 share the same polymer frame.

Incidentally, a quick search through the Kahr shop will reveal that the CW9 barrel and the P9 barrel cost the same. Isn't the P9s barrel supposed to be a match grade walther Lothar barrel made out of proprietary steel, if that's the case then why doesn't it cost more than the generic brand conventionally rifled barrel of the CW9. Especially since, if my suspicion is correct, that they are interchangeable? I just don't get it. Is Kahr just being really generous, or is something else going on. I mean wouldn't you be really ticked off if you spent $140.80 on a CW9 barrel, only to realize later on that you could have had the better P9 barrel for the exact same price?

recoilguy
03-16-2010, 03:26 PM
All replacement barrels on Kahrs sight cost $140.80. If they are interchaangeable I would assume they are all the Lothar barrels. I can't verify that but I would assume they would not double inventory.
I could be very wrong I just do not know. I certianly would not be ticked off to get the correct barrel for 140 then the incorrect one just made by Lothar for the same price however.

RCG

ripley16
03-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Why didn't you just buy a P9? Wouldn't that have been cheaper?

B18C5 Tom
03-16-2010, 07:47 PM
I'd look into the 4'' compensated barrel offered at The Kahrshop.

Why didn't you just buy a P9? Wouldn't that have been cheaper?

Maybe he didn't have the funds? I own a Honda Civic with an Integra Type R engine, and I love it more than any Integra. Why? Because it's mine and I built it how I wanted to. It's fun making a $1,500.00 econobox run 12's in the 1/4 mile and beat down exotics at auto-X events.

In a similar fashion I'd like to take a CW series and make it nicer than a standard P series by adding the comp barrel, XS Big Dot night sights, etc.

Vincent
03-16-2010, 10:35 PM
The CW9 barrel may have one advantage over the P9. It should shoot lead bullets better and they are cheaper.

I had a E9 with the polygonal barrel and it was no more accurate than my CW9. It was easier to get really clean though, if that matters.

jocko
03-17-2010, 06:44 AM
The CW9 barrel may have one advantage over the P9. It should shoot lead bullets better and they are cheaper.

I had a E9 with the polygonal barrel and it was no more accurate than my CW9. It was easier to get really clean though, if that matters.

accuracy differne between the two. only a increase in velocity. It is a nice barrelbut it would not bother me one way or the other which barrel I had in my kahr. Normally poylgonal rifle barrels are usually offered by mfg-er on their premium barrels.

One can shoot lead bullets out of a Poygonal rifle barrel also, justneeds to be clenaed alot more often . Many do it. although most all people today, except reloaded never shoot lead ammo . It is slowly becoming a thing of the past for some...

Vincent
03-17-2010, 07:47 PM
accuracy differne between the two. only a increase in velocity. It is a nice barrelbut it would not bother me one way or the other which barrel I had in my kahr. Normally poylgonal rifle barrels are usually offered by mfg-er on their premium barrels.

One can shoot lead bullets out of a Poygonal rifle barrel also, justneeds to be clenaed alot more often . Many do it. although most all people today, except reloaded never shoot lead ammo . It is slowly becoming a thing of the past for some...

I have 500 commercially reloaded lead bullet loads. There is nothing wrong with them and they are cheaper. I may be loading some as well but I am still trying to decide what bullet to order for my 1500 cases.:eek::D

Cap'n
05-05-2010, 05:47 AM
I just purchased my CW9 NIB on Monday; s/n EE6xxx. I was surprised (!!) to find its barrel has polygonal rifling.

jocko
05-05-2010, 05:53 AM
I just purchased my CW9 NIB on Monday; s/n EE6xxx. I was surprised (!!) to find its barrel has polygonal rifling.

really doubt if it has polygonal rifling, I really do. NO CW comes with polygonal rifling..

In-Yo-Grill
05-05-2010, 05:58 AM
I did see where his original question got answered. Can you fit a P9 polygonal barrel in a CW9? I need to compare the two this afternoon when I get home.

I can tell you from experience that the ported 4" barrel will work with the CW9 and P9.

at_liberty
05-05-2010, 06:51 AM
I have 500 commercially reloaded lead bullet loads. There is nothing wrong with them and they are cheaper. I may be loading some as well but I am still trying to decide what bullet to order for my 1500 cases.:eek::D

A side topic, but lead bullets are prohibited at my indoor range. Everything has to be jacketed. The explanation was that the lead fouls the air as well as the dirt wall that has to be hauled away and replaced periodically. I have a bunch of lead bullet .22 LR that I have to reserve for shooting outdoors.

MattTheKnife
05-05-2010, 08:20 AM
The dimensions may have changed recently, but the CW9 had a slightly longer barrel than the standard P9 (3.5" vs. 3.6"). I don't think those would interchange well.

Besides, my CW9 shoots damn well. I wouldn't change anything unless forced to.

jocko
05-05-2010, 09:20 AM
I did see where his original question got answered. Can you fit a P9 polygonal barrel in a CW9? I need to compare the two this afternoon when I get home.

I can tell you from experience that the ported 4" barrel will work with the CW9 and P9.

if that be the case I would wonder why the cw and P barrels would not interchange..

Cap'n
05-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Well, it isn't land-and-groove rifling, that's for sure. Have 45 years of looking at that. This would be the first non-land-and-groove rifling I've ever seen ... it's hills and valleys.

I was expecting the CW9's rifling as advertised (land-and-groove) for lead bullet shooting. However, after checking with Berry's, they say I can shoot their plated bullets as long as velocities are less than 1200 fps (no problem). Have 40 rounds of those bullets through the bore, and there was no leading. So that's a non-issue for me in any case

When you look down the bore of this pistol, there are NO sharp edges anywhere on the rifling. In fact, my first impression (before cleaning the bore) was I'd bought a smooth bore! (THAT would not have made me happy.) And again, this was purchased new-in-the box from Cabela's on Monday.

Have some photos but don't know how to post them here; not much energy to learn how unless there's significant interest.

Cap'n
05-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Maybe this won't be as hard as It hought to post these ... best I can do with my small digital; not able to get it to macro focus on the rifling per se, but note the crown of the muzzle / mouth of the bore.

Just drew the pistol from my IWB, cleared, it and took photos. Didn't realize dust/lint would be so visible. ;)

rogerthedodger
05-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Looks just like my CW9, but mine needs cleaning!

jmstallard
05-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Huh...weird...

So if the P9 barrel is, in fact, 1/10 of an inch shorter than the CW9 barrel, then when you put the weapon into battery, the muzzle should be slightly recessed. Is it?

Cap'n
05-06-2010, 12:47 PM
No, the barrel on my CW9 is not recessed when in battery; slightly protrudes.

I have no dog in this race other than I believe I've received a poly barrel. If I'm wrong (my eyes can't be that bad!), I'm still a happy customer. The pistol shoots beautifully (now at 300+ rounds) ... accurate, consistent, feeds everything including reloads. She's a keeper.

I glanced at the earlier note saying P9s have 3.5 inch barrels. I'm not sure of the source of that info. The Kahr website says both the P9 and CW9 have 3.6-inch barrels: KAHR CW9093 / Specifications (http://www.kahr.com/dtlspec_cw9093.html)

Wouldn't be the first time a website has not been correct/updated, so the 3.5-inch number could be correct for the P9. I just don't know.

Bawanna
05-06-2010, 01:16 PM
No, the barrel on my CW9 is not recessed when in battery; slightly protrudes.

I have no dog in this race other than I believe I've received a poly barrel. If I'm wrong (my eyes can't be that bad!), I'm still a happy customer. The pistol shoots beautifully (now at 300+ rounds) ... accurate, consistent, feeds everything including reloads. She's a keeper.

I glanced at the earlier note saying P9s have 3.5 inch barrels. I'm not sure of the source of that info. The Kahr website says both the P9 and CW9 have 3.6-inch barrels: KAHR CW9093 / Specifications (http://www.kahr.com/dtlspec_cw9093.html)

Wouldn't be the first time a website has not been correct/updated, so the 3.5-inch number could be correct for the P9. I just don't know.

Looking at the pictures it's kind of difficult to tell, it really doesn't look polygonal but the lands and grooves don't appear sharp either????? Wierd. A good picture just not quite clear enough, has to be poly. As long as it shoots everything and it's consistent and you call it a keeper I wouldn't waste another second pondering it. I suppose they could have easily goofed and slipped in a P9 barrel in error, much to your benefit in my opinion. My range no longer allows lead either so it's all jackets reloads for me now.
Vincent I'd check out Rainers TMJ's for your 1500. I get em from Midway. They sometimes have sales and not much more than lead. I only use the 45 but they have 9 and 40 also or at least they did last time I check. Very consistent weights, reload nice. I even get the hollow points since they aren't much different in price. I never carry reloads but I figure in a worse case scenario my reloads could be put into service and I like hollow points.

rkirk
05-06-2010, 01:53 PM
The Barrels for the CW9 and P9 are listed on the Kahr sight as 3.6 inches. However the overall length various 1/10th of an inch. It appears to me that the frame and slide on the P9 is 1/10th shorter. This makes sense to me because the bargain Comp-Tac CTAC holster is for a P9 and although my CW9 fits the holster it does not click into place. I had to file lips at the bottom of the holster to relieve the holster enough to allow the CW9 to click in place. I am sure both are great pistols.

-- Richard

woodman
05-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Maybe this won't be as hard as It hought to post these ... best I can do with my small digital; not able to get it to macro focus on the rifling per se, but note the crown of the muzzle / mouth of the bore.

Just drew the pistol from my IWB, cleared, it and took photos. Didn't realize dust/lint would be so visible. ;)
Looks like conventional rifling to me.

at_liberty
05-08-2010, 12:34 PM
I agree with Cap'n. The pictures of his barrel sure look like a Walther barrel to me, the type claimed to be used on all models except the less expensive C series. The explanations and illustrations I have seen show "polygonal" as hills and valleys, while "conventional" has clear land cuts. I see the pictures as "hills and valleys".

ripley16
05-08-2010, 01:09 PM
I agree with Cap'n. The pictures of his barrel sure look like a Walther barrel to me, the type claimed to be used on all models except the less expensive C series. The explanations and illustrations I have seen show "polygonal" as hills and valleys, while "conventional" has clear land cuts. I see the pictures as "hills and valleys".

I concur. Looks like a standard Kahr polygonal barrel. Very interesting.