PDA

View Full Version : T9 for IDPA

htbkahrshooter
11-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Anybody out there shoot a T9 in IDPA? Seems like a sweet gun and has a higher mag capacity. I have a Smith and Wesson M&P9 on the way, sorry guys:( but sure like the feel of the T9.

slowplay
11-17-2012, 07:05 PM
I'll tell exactly how well it works,if and when I get one. I'm planning to get one as soon as something else I have sells. It's going to be used for IDPA. I'm thinking it will be just fine.

CB3
11-21-2012, 12:14 PM
I have used my TP9 once and it was great, especially since I consider IDPA a form of self defense concealed carry practice more than a game to play with guns. Prior to this I used a Kahr P40 which was more difficult to shoot well. Prior to that I used a Keltec P40 but that would not hold up mechanically to lots of rounds. Parts broke (ejector and slide stop) and others fell off (front sight).

The stock TP9 trigger is not as conducive to fast and accurate shooting as it could be. I have shortened my striker spring by about three coils to lower my trigger pull weight to about 6.5#. I shortened the forward trigger over travel by using some epoxy on the frame so when the trigger resets it does not go forward through useless space. My trigger has almost no over travel at the end of the stroke, so I left that alone.

So, my reset and trigger manipulation is faster and lighter than a stock trigger, which helps for IDPA but primarily for self defense. A lighter trigger pull contributes to less twisting of the gun on the long DA pull.

The gun is still 100% reliable.

PYROhafe
11-21-2012, 08:01 PM
I have shortened my striker spring by about three coils to lower my trigger pull weight to about 6.5#. I shortened the forward trigger over travel by using some epoxy on the frame so when the trigger resets it does not go forward through useless space. My trigger has almost no over travel at the end of the stroke, so I left that alone.

The gun is still 100% reliable.

I REALLY wanna see some pics/info on this.... maybe even a how to?

jocko
11-21-2012, 08:51 PM
I would guess one could cut coils off the striker spring and get results. The worst one could do is cut to much off and get light strikes and then just replace with a new striker spring.

Wolffs gunsprings does make a 5# striker spirng that drops right in and will cause no light strikes. Does not really make a hair trigger IMO as the trigger pull lenght stays the same. From my experience my PM9 has over 32K rounds throough it with the 5# striker spring. I have never replaced that spring since I installed it. Just sayin.

I have it in my K9 also with about 5K rounds through it..

htbkahrshooter
11-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Now I guess the hard part is to find a good used one. Seem like there are hard to find. I sure like the wood grips. Would hate to get it messed up, but I agree you should shoot what u carry.

jocko
11-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Indeed I have yet to see around my area at even the small gun shows ever a T9 or TP9. , new, let alone seeing a used one. gander Mt. never has any in their cases . I was snooping in there about a week ago and if they had one handgun they had a 100 and not one kahr was in the case, NOT ONE..

chrish
11-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Gunbroker has 1 outrageously priced T9 right now, and a few of the more reasonably priced TP9. While I'd love to have a T9, would never pay $900 for one.

Anyway, IDPA has been on my short list of things to do in the next year. And I will be taking my TP9. I've pretty much transitioned to this as my primary carry now. I was carrying a P9, still love it, but the TP9 is now my go to choice.

Steve in Sunny Fla
12-06-2012, 07:29 PM
CB3 - I have a drop in trigger mod that will shorten and lighten the trigger pull. let me know if you're interested - steve

safd
12-07-2012, 05:40 AM
What's the part? I am interested?
BTW I bought my T9 from Buds Gun Shop for a decent price. Had it stippled and put night sights on it. Love it.
ben

DMR
12-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Pm out on the trigger

htbkahrshooter
12-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Just found a T9 with night sights locally. So excited I can't spell. Have it on hold and plan to pick it up soon. I will let you know how I like it. Plan to start IDPA soon.

htbkahrshooter
12-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Pm out on the trigger, what?

Short Bus
12-14-2012, 03:40 AM
Pm out on the trigger, what?

He was replying to this post, he sent Steve a PM

CB3 - I have a drop in trigger mod that will shorten and lighten the trigger pull. let me know if you're interested - steve

htbkahrshooter
12-14-2012, 11:30 PM
so how rare are the T9's? Is this a great find that I should jump on?

DMR
12-16-2012, 07:42 AM
so how rare are the T9's? Is this a great find that I should jump on?

Last I delved into the issue, only around 100+/- a year T-9's have been produced since around 2001.

htbkahrshooter
12-16-2012, 11:55 AM
thanks, I don't want to loose this one.

jocko
12-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Last I delved into the issue, only around 100+/- a year T-9's have been produced since around 2001.

would someone try to convince me that this was a great financial move by kahr to make this T9????? They are losing their ass today with the one model:israel:

DMR
12-17-2012, 11:45 AM
HUm, seems my memory is not so good, as I just went back through my notes.

I have 2 T-9's manufatured 4 years apart. The first is just below PA 0900 for a serial numer made in May, 2006, the second was just over PA0100 w/old style slide made in June, 2002. So call it between 200-300 a year, at least back then.

Some of the other posts show T-9's in the 1200 range now last I followed up, made in 2011 or 2012. I don't follow it closely, but have noticed the trend over time.

Scrambler
01-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Since being able to carry in the last year I've settled on a K9 for EDC. So that has become my IDPA pistol. Just feel I should take every opportunity to practice with what I carry. Been drawing from an IWB holster while wearing a concealment garment, whether required or not. Yes it's slower than the Glock 17 and belt holster I used to own. I don't care, I may take longer to aim, have less mag capacity, and a longer trigger pull, but I'm confident carrying it. It is practice to me, not a competition. I just got a T9 and will use IDPA shooting to ring it out before carrying it.

jocko
01-19-2013, 04:32 PM

I have 2 T-9's manufatured 4 years apart. The first is just below PA 0900 for a serial numer made in May, 2006, the second was just over PA0100 w/old style slide made in June, 2002. So call it between 200-300 a year, at least back then.

Some of the other posts show T-9's in the 1200 range now last I followed up, made in 2011 or 2012. I don't follow it closely, but have noticed the trend over time.

don't make or sell many each year, that is for sure. To find one in a dealers showcase is every rarier--new or used. Probalby the most over looked great kahr to. I have yet to see one anywhere..:7:

jocko
01-19-2013, 04:36 PM

u remember ur first POA..:cheer2:

I really mean Point of aim to u sedistic perverts..:eek::p

DMR
01-20-2013, 10:24 AM
I don't know. My daughter was born in 99. So maybe my second?

Bongo Boy
01-21-2013, 11:37 PM
If I wanted a T9 and bought one I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it IDPA, but I have not done it and I haven't shot my K40 in IDPA either, although I think it might qualify for the BUG side matches. Anyway, if that's a gun you want for other reasons, heck yeah--go for it in IDPA too.

But I assume you're not actually looking for an IDPA gun, and selecting T9 for that purpose. So, it's a somewhat different perspective, as already suggested but in a different way above.

Off the top of my head I'd probably select an M&P Pro or an M&P full size in 9, and have a much faster gun out of the box (at least I would expect it to be a faster handling gun). But I don't think you were asking 'what's a good 9mm for IDPA', and I understand that.

I understand and strongly support the two different approaches to IDPA shooting--and I have taken both approaches (as best I can) and both are equally fun for me. I'm not much of a competitor and don't think competitively in much of anything I do--I wouldn't have any problems in bringing a gun I like to shoot regardless of anything else.

n9znd
01-25-2013, 07:43 AM
I just got a Kahr CM9 for the second time. Sold the first one and went through a few different guns trying to have just a IDPA gun and keep going back to Kahr because I really enjoy shooting them. Had a CW9 that I shot a IDPA and a USPSA match with. I feel I did pretty good, not as good at USPSA but IDPA okay. I really like the CM9 better and plan to shoot it in IDPA this year. Reloads and transition between targets and a few other things I need to work on, but accuracy is not a problem. I had a G19 that I finished at the top of the heap but enjoy shooting the Kahr better. I have more fun shooting what I like than shooting something I don't like even if it means doing better. Shoot what you want and have fun and you will get better. Jim

Kahrdriver64
04-01-2013, 06:45 AM
Fwiw. I just started in idpa and am running a T40. I was able to score 29/30 hits in stage 3 of the classifier and I don't claim to be much of a pistol shot. The T has plenty inherent accuracy but it gives up mag capacity and has a very long reset compared to other dao's you will shoot against. But he'll yeah! Carry what you shot and shoot what you carry!