PDA

View Full Version : Intro, full time RV traveler, K9 owner

AC7880
11-15-2012, 09:51 PM
I'm Dan, and my wife and I are full time RV travelers the past 3.5 years in a diesel pusher motorhome. I'm a retired USAF E-9, served 27.5 years, 6 stateside assignments, 3 overseas tours, and a few temp duties in many locations.

I was a military working dog handler the first 5 years, carried a .38 and a GBU15 (AR15). Basically a sawed off M16 with a extendable butt. The 2 years in the Phillipines at Clark Air Base was action packed chasing local national intruders who were on the base to steal things.

After USAF retirement I carried mail for USPS for 7 years in the south valley of Albuquerque NM. Grew up in Manson and Wenatchee WA state, Columbia river valley Cascade mountains foot hills.

We are currently on site hosts on a wildlife preserve in Patagonia AZ from 15 Oct to 15 February.

I have a Kahr K9 that I bought in 1999, operates flawlessly. I'd like a lighter Kahr 9 in the future, whenever I make it back to SD where I am now a legal resident (may be another 2 years before we drift back there). P9, CM9 and PM9 are the ones I will decide from. May trade in the K9, or might keep it.

I need to check if I can legally buy a private owned polymer Kahr here in AZ since I am a SD resident. I already know I can't buy from a FFL gun shop, nor the military exchange.

Dan

mluikey
11-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Welcome AC and thank you for your service. Don't sell that K9, you will regret it just add to your collection. Look into www.armslist.com there are many guns for sale that you can buy from a private individual. Most transactions are face to face. Enjoy AZ and here on kahrtalk.

Mike

Bawanna
11-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Welcome. Just looked over your blog, pretty cool. Sounds like a great time living in the bus and moving around.

I know Wenatchee and Manson pretty well, pass thru a few times a year. Pretty nice country on that side of the hill.

I agree, I'd keep the K9 and just get it a little brother or big brother.

gb6491
11-15-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm Dan, and my wife and I are full time RV travelers the past 3.5 years in a diesel pusher motorhome. I'm a retired USAF E-9, served 27.5 years, 6 stateside assignments, 3 overseas tours, and a few temp duties in many locations.

I was a military working dog handler the first 5 years, carried a .38 and a GBU15 (AR15). Basically a sawed off M16 with a extendable butt. The 2 years in the Phillipines at Clark Air Base was action packed chasing local national intruders who were on the base to steal things.

After USAF retirement I carried mail for USPS for 7 years in the south valley of Albuquerque NM. Grew up in Manson and Wenatchee WA state, Columbia river valley Cascade mountains foot hills.

We are currently on site hosts on a wildlife preserve in Patagonia AZ from 15 Oct to 15 February.

I have a Kahr K9 that I bought in 1999, operates flawlessly. I'd like a lighter Kahr 9 in the future, whenever I make it back to SD where I am now a legal resident (may be another 2 years before we drift back there). P9, CM9 and PM9 are the ones I will decide from. May trade in the K9, or might keep it.

I need to check if I can legally buy a private owned polymer Kahr here in AZ since I am a SD resident. I already know I can't buy from a FFL gun shop, nor the military exchange.

Dan
Welcome to the forums Dan!:)

Here's a quote from the ATF website that might be of help to you:

"Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]"
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

Regards,
Greg

eireguy
11-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Welcome

JohnR
11-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Yep, your K9 is lonely and needs a mate.

wyntrout
11-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Welcome to the forum, Dan. This is a friendly and helpful community... for the most part. :D

My wife and I are 20-year veterans of the Air Force and met in West Germany back in the 80's.

Wynn:)

AC7880
11-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the welcome, and for the information as well.

Nice forums and good folks, I plan to begin participating on a regular basis.

Dan

7shot
11-16-2012, 11:41 AM
welocome aboard...thank you for all your service for our country. now you get to enjoy some well earned time off. oh, don't ever give up the k9. you'll regret it...

AC7880
11-17-2012, 08:47 AM
A bit off topic to my intro above, but I got some great pictures and fair video of a Mountain Lion yesterday. More info in this thread: http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15498&page=7

Also I am loading pics and one video to our travel blog as I type this - should be available within 10 minutes: http://2toomanycats.blogspot.com/

Dan