PDA

View Full Version : New Member-looking for advice

PillpusherPDX
11-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Hey Everyone!

I'm new to these forums and looking to buy my first Kahr pistol! It will serve its role as a CCW weapon. Currently, I carry a Ruger LCR .357 in a smartcarry holster during the summer and times that require a more professional dress code. In the colder months, I carry a Glock 19 in a Tommy Theis IWB holster. The glock is a little too big for my liking and I was thinking of buying a 26 or 27, but I love the slimness, trigger, and quality of Kahrs.
I was hoping to get some input as to which model would best suit my needs. I am currently looking at the k9, CW9, CM9, or MK9. I really like the look and feel of an all-steel pistol and I'm sure it's easier to shoot. Also, a local gun shop has some great prices on NY trade-in K9's. I guess my main dilemma is deciding between the two sizes of gun. Both are smaller than my Glock, but obviously the CM/MK series is more conducive to smartcarry and/or pocket carry. On the belt the weight difference between steel and polymer isn't much of a concern but it would be in other methods of carry.
Which model do you guys recommend/prefer based on shootability, ease of carry, concealability, and anything else I'm not considering?
Thanks a lot! :D

Bawanna
11-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Your thinking in my opinion is spot on. The police trade in K9's can be really nice. But for concealment in pocket or smart carry etc, I'd lean towards the CM9 or the PM9.

If weight isn't a factor definitely the K9 or MK9. As you mentioned it's all about weight in those less than traditional carry modes.

mluikey
11-26-2012, 10:24 AM
I have a K9, a PM9, and a P380. I carry the K9 mostly now in a OWB Mitch Rosen holster. It is by far my favorite carry gun. The PM9 is good but I like the K9 better. P380 goes no the ankle and the PM9 stays in the safe.

Ikeo74
11-26-2012, 10:34 AM
I had to have both. A CM9 for pocket carry and an MK9 for on the belt. There are many advantages having both. Magazines are interchangeable in both guns and it gives you at least 3 or 4 mags. Hoslters are also interchangable and you change guns around at your pleasure using the same holsters. Another advantage, you can practace with the heavier MK9 and carry the ligter CM9, plus use the same ammo. Both guns have the exact same features as to safetys and trigger functions. Shooting either gun is a memorized habbit with no mistakes about useable features.

muggsy
11-27-2012, 05:49 PM
I carry a CM9 AIWB and a P380 in my RF pocket. A PM/CM9 are good choices but don't overlook the CW9. It's not for pocket carry, but it gives you a full grip and one extra round and adds only a 1/2" to length and height.

7shot
11-27-2012, 06:41 PM
I carry my K9 both ways IWB & OWB. No issues with weight. Personally I'm not a pocket carry guy, so I'm not in favor of that method. I just like the feel and balance of the smaller steel pistols.

Alfonse
12-04-2012, 08:54 PM
The PM9 is so easy to carry, that I find I don't want to bother with anything else. I can carry other ways, but nothing compels me to want to. I have reasonably quick access and fantastic conceal-ability.