PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Energy Calculator

garyb
12-03-2012, 10:05 AM
For you reloaders out there, here is a quick calculator for ME. Go to:
www.reloadammo.com/footpound2.htm (http://www.reloadammo.com/footpound2.htm)

Hope this link works for you.

MW surveyor
12-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Dang, my 200 grain LSWs out of the 45 is only 284 ft pounds. (but it make a real nice big hole. :) )

Bongo Boy
12-03-2012, 09:06 PM
If you want to do the calculation yourself, say in a spreadsheet or something, it looks like this (W = bullet weight in grains, V = muzzle velocity in fps):

ME = (W/(2*32.17*7000))*V*V

Explanation: you're dividing the weight of the bullet by 7,000 to convert from grains to lbs, dividing that by 32.17 (the acceleration due to gravity) to convert from lbs (force) to lbs (mass), dividing again by 2 (because the formula for energy says to), and finally, multiplying the result by the velocity squared (V*V). This is the same as:

W*V*V/450,380

muggsy
01-13-2013, 05:59 PM
And what does muzzle energy tell you?

garyb
01-21-2013, 12:18 PM
And what does muzzle energy tell you?

That's a fair question. I suggest to google "muzzle energy" and read up on what the experts have to say. I am certainly not one...haha. Wikipedia gives a reasonable explanation.

For me it is a relative measure of ammo energy through the same gun (by which I compare the energy of different ammo through that gun); or a measure of ammo through different guns to compare different ammo and gun combinations. It is part of a real deal assessment along with accuracy...etc.

I also use "ME" to compare different ammo to determine the muzzle flip or recoil, whatever you wish to call it...for competition. Less flip tends to get you on the next shot quicker. I also compare the accuracy and how well the gun cycles with different ammo.

Again, I am certainly not an expert, but there are many folks out there who are....and I try my best to learn from them.