PDA

View Full Version : Simple Hornady LNL Lighting

garyb
12-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Simple way to upgrade your Hornady LNL Progressive loader with LED light.
1. Small inexpensive LED flashlight
2. Port on top of LNL
3. LED flashlight sitting on port at top of LNL - No interference with operation in any way. (Sorry photo is turned on side)
4. Effect of LED to visualize powder in casing. Also note this LNL has powder cop on station following the charge.

This light adds an inexpensive, simple but VALUABLE solution to double check all charges visually and via powder cop to prevent double charges and KABOOMS. I've read one too many threads about unnecessary kabooms due to double charges. Reading these will also keep me back away from shooters who reload on the range. Always Safety First!:7:

Bawanna
12-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Excellent, I have one and I didn't realize that hole was even there.

I rigged a dental mirror to the front part of the frame and was able to angle it so it looks in the case after charging. Works well. With 45 Colt the case is high enough that the additional light would really help.

I'm giving this a try next loading session.

garyb
12-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Here's another site for all you guys for reloader lighting
www.inlinefabrication.com (http://www.inlinefabrication.com)
These folks want about $30 for an LED strip which can be used with 110V or battery on just about any loader. Different LED kits are available for top rear and front side on LNL. Anyway, check them out. By the time you are done the reloader looks like a football field inside. So put on your helmet and pads and get reloading...or forget the light and put your helmet/pads on at the range....KABOOM. Your choice.

I am too cheap to spend $30 right now and the little LED flashlight was only about $2 each for a package of about 5-6 flashlights from Home Depot. Cheap. (Not to mention that wifey is watching me after my last purchases, haha....)

Charlie98
12-04-2012, 01:37 PM
I have a little Eddie Bauer clip-on LED light that I use... all I really want to see is the powder in the case before I set the boolit on it.

I saw that LED strip thing... it's pretty sweet! ...but I'm too cheap!

Bongo Boy
12-04-2012, 08:26 PM
That's cool, useful and very amusing. Nice to see that hole not going to waste.

garyb
12-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Never let a good one go to waist.....