PDA

View Full Version : How to clear first-round "under feed ramp" jam

ndoren
12-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Ok, today was the first time to the range with my brand new PM9. First, let me say that it ran flawlessly when using the slide release to chamber the first round. No mid-magazine FTFs or FTes. As far as initial chambering, I am a lefty, and while I appreciate Kahr's suggestion that I chamber the first round with the slide release, it's awkward for lefties. Too bad the release isn't ambi.

That being said, I had mixed success using the "hand sling shot" method. Sure, maybe, just MAYBE I'm riding the slide a bit, but not enough to affect any of my other handguns. No matter. I did have a few "under feed ramp" first-round jams, and I had a heck of a time clearing them. The round moves forward enough to prevent the magazine from being dropped, and the springs (combination of mag spring and slide spring) wedge that round in there pretty good. I managed to clear the jam each time but it was a struggle. Once while clearing a jam, the slide closed while my finger was in the ejection port. Ouch.

Any obvious way to clear these types of jams? Thanks in Advance. Neall

JERRY
12-09-2012, 06:14 PM
1st make sure the mag spring is installed correctly under the follower.

ndoren
12-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the tip. Definitely did that. I disassembled all 4 of my magazines to clean them initially. Then added Pearce pinky extensions to two 6-rounders, and the black flat baseplate to a third 6-rounder. I kept the seven rounder stock. In each case, I removed the follower to ensure the spring was installed correctly, then inserted them together.

All magazine configurations worked equally well for me. My only problems occurred when slingshotting the first round into the chamber by hand instead of using the slide release. Those jams were "hell" to clear. Tap-rack-tap (aka glock) didn't do the trick. Neall

AIRret
12-09-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm a lefty and once I hit a 1000 rounds moving my left thumb around of the back of my
pm9 to hit the slide release it all became second nature.
Just keep working it.

ndoren
12-09-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm a lefty and once I hit a 1000 rounds moving my left thumb around of the back of my
pm9 to hit the slide release it all became second nature.
Just keep working it.

Now THAT is an interesting idea. Thanks. This is my first non-ambi handgun, so I've not dealt with this issue before. Thus far, I've used my left index finger to release the slide.

All that aside, I'm still not 100% I trust my life to a gun I can't reliably hand-rack. I'll give it more time, and more practice.

RRP
12-09-2012, 06:37 PM
~

All that aside, I'm still not 100% I trust my life to a gun I can't reliably hand-rack. I'll give it more time, and more practice.

Eventually, you will be able to hand-rack, reliably and consistently. I don't know if it's more rounds, more practice, or a combination of the two, but it will start working for you, as it has for me and many others.

yqtszhj
12-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Eventually, you will be able to hand-rack, reliably and consistently. I don't know if it's more rounds, more practice, or a combination of the two, but it will start working for you, as it has for me and many others.

Yep, what RRP said

wyntrout
12-10-2012, 06:39 PM
In your case, a right overhand... thumb along the slide towards you, fingers over the top of the slide... to really grip the slide and then thrust with your gun hand away as you hold the slide and pull it towards you, releasing your right hand as the forward thrust starts to pull the slide out of your hand. The idea is a brisk coordinated motion with no drag from the over-slide hand... resulting in a clean slide release from the full back position. This is like a slingshot rack. Using both hands in opposite directions gives more power to the rack and lessens the tendency to "ride the slide".

I don't know if this helps or confuses. The plucking method using just the thumb and pointing finger on the opposite hand doesn't keep the gun oriented toward the target and the serrations on Kahrs are pretty small and not "grippy".

Wynn:)

ndoren
12-10-2012, 07:49 PM
In your case, a right overhand... thumb along the slide towards you, fingers over the top of the slide... to really grip the slide and then thrust with your gun hand away as you hold the slide and pull it towards you, releasing your right hand as the forward thrust starts to pull the slide out of your hand. The idea is a brisk coordinated motion with no drag from the over-slide hand... resulting in a clean slide release from the full back position. This is like a slingshot rack. Using both hands in opposite directions gives more power to the rack and lessens the tendency to "ride the slide".

I don't know if this helps or confuses. The plucking method using just the thumb and pointing finger on the opposite hand doesn't keep the gun oriented toward the target and the serrations on Kahrs are pretty small and not "grippy".

Wynn, reading this is like finding my religion! HOW IN THE WORLD did I get out of this habit so long ago?? I definitely do the finger/thumb "pinch" and I didn't even realize it. Boy, I'll really have to reprogram my instincts for your method, which is obviously a better approach. Ditto also to AIRret, who suggested I move my right thumb around the back to release the slide. That being necessary as a lefty. BINGO. Brilliant. Thanks to you both. I have a LOT of range practice to do! Neall

wyntrout
12-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Once in a blue moon, I try to use my left hand and do everything. I found that my thumb could work the slide release, too.

I'm glad our suggestions gave you something to work with. Once in a while we can be helpful!

ndoren
12-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Yeah, probably a good idea for me to learn to do everything with the other hand, just in case. One never knows when someone will grab and pin your strong hand and you may not have a choice but to react with your weaker one. Neall

The1gun
12-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Hand racking P380 at 200 round mark. Left hand must hit shoulder solidly. RH shooter.

Hard to ride slide AND smack yourself in the shoulder.

Geobob
12-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Hello, Neall, and welcome from Missouri to a really great forum (assume you are new since this is new members subforum). Hope you get your issues squared away.
-----------------------------------
Geologist Bob
US Navy P-3 Pilot, Army Guard Huey & Blackhawk Pilot (ret.)

ndoren
12-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Yep, second trip to the range was flawless. Another 100 rounds, for a total of 250 (in one week). Hand racked every time with no problems. No FTF or FTEs either. Everything seems perfect. My aim's not as good as with my larger guns, though. Practice, practice. Neall

SixPak
02-06-2013, 08:56 PM
You might want to read up and do the mag follower mod as well as polishing the feed ramp. Really important on the smaller pistols. After sanding down the mag followers and polishing the feed ramp with a Dremel 422 and Flitz, my PM9 slingshots the first round easily. These mods should all but eliminate the nosedive under feedramp problem.

wyntrout
02-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Yeah, probably a good idea for me to learn to do everything with the other hand, just in case. One never knows when someone will grab and pin your strong hand and you may not have a choice but to react with your weaker one. Neall

That's one of the many things we try to bring up when someone wants to carry with an empty chamber... you may not have two hands or the time to LOAD your pistol... until then it's just a rock.

Geobob
02-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Hello, Ndoren, and welcome from Missouri to a great forum. Good people and info here!

Take care, and best wishes to you and yours!

AIRret
02-07-2013, 04:26 AM
That's one of the many things we try to bring up when someone wants to carry with an empty chamber... you may not have two hands or the time to LOAD your pistol... until then it's just a rock.

If you carry a back up gun you might consider carrying it on your weak side,
then if your strong hand is tied up you have another option.
Since I normally carry behind my left hip, reaching around with my right hand is slower than having a bug gun.