PDA

View Full Version : I love my T-9. But...

mity2
12-18-2012, 10:25 AM
...I started to think my T-9 have few things wrong with it.

I have had the T-9 for over 2 years now. Its fantasticly accurate(I can get a tighter group then I can with my TRP), It's been flowless as far as reliability goes(over 2000rds, with several hundred rounds of Winchester bonded PDX 147gr, never an issue).

My only issue that I had was my rear sight flew off in the biggining, but after tighten the allen set key, and putting a tiny dinple under where set screw is located cured the sight issue.

I carry T-9 90% of the time(and carry K9 the 10%). Its just great gun.

Because my gun does shoot well, dependable, and accurate, I never bothered with few things that I feel is "off" with this gun.

Please bear with me, as I try my best to explain it. I'm no gunsmith, so term may not be right.

Issue 1:
When you dry fire, and hold trigger back all the way, slide is EXTREMLY difficult to rack. Gun does function without the fail. And I couldn't figure it out as to why until I looked at my K9.
When you pull the trigger back until it stops, and hold it there, the cocking cam(the part that pushes up on striker brock protrude past frame rail...
http://i47.tinypic.com/2qxoz2g.jpg

My K9 does not do this.
Is this normal?

Issue 2:
While gun does function 100%, it seems that my slide does not go all the way forword.
You can only tell by looking at the back of slide back cover against frame.
http://i48.tinypic.com/k9uafk.jpg

But they line up perfectly, if you remove the slide stop pin...
http://i46.tinypic.com/2nsz603.jpg
Again, my K9 line up perfectly with or without the slide stop pin.

When you look barrel link(?) through slide stop pin hole, you can see that barrel link(?) does not position itself with slide pin hole.
http://i49.tinypic.com/35iox9e.jpg

but when you insert the slide stop pin, pushs back like below, which needless to say makes the rear of slide to be not flush with frame...
http://i49.tinypic.com/axeo4.jpg

Like I said, gun perform perfectly.
I just like to know if this is something normal with T9?
Noone around here have T9 besides me, and I have no other example to compare it with, other then my K9...

jocko
12-18-2012, 10:41 AM
not sure of any of what ur saying, anutter model like urs might show sumpin. I do feel if u send those photos to kahr (which u should) that they will tell u all is well and it is normal.

The gun works flawlessly, that is a big plus,so kinda hard to say we have a problem here. If it is any comfort my slide lock pin and barrel photo looks exactly the same, whenI push my pin it,(K9 and PM9), it then moves the barrel over so slightly to let the pin go all theway through. I find this is normal and no issue.

Me telling u, ur gun is ok and anutter coming on here and saying other wise is just gonna screw ur mind up, so forward those photos to Jay at kahr and hear it from the horse's mouth.

Bawanna
12-18-2012, 11:11 AM
I agree. (Much as it pains me). Send those pics to Kahr. I don't think it's an issue but it's worth having them look and for piece of mind.

Be nice to have another barrel around to see how it lined up with the pin in.

jocko
12-18-2012, 11:16 AM
tylenol does wonders. Just sayin

JustinN
12-18-2012, 12:23 PM
On the back of the slide not lining up, when you pull the trigger (dry fire on an empty chamber) does it slide forward just a tad to make it match up even?

mity2
12-18-2012, 01:46 PM
On the back of the slide not lining up, when you pull the trigger (dry fire on an empty chamber) does it slide forward just a tad to make it match up even?

No.

As everyone are saying, none of these attribute to any functional issues. Which is why I never did anything about it.
Its more of... lack of fit/finishing then anything else?
It just look like link on barrel(guide where slide pin goes through. i don't know what to call it) may needs to be machined tiny bit to make it perfect.
I can easily fix both barrel and cocking cam with dremel, but barrel link area is so cretical on over all perfomance of the weapon, I don't want to mess with it

In light of recent tragedy in connecticut, I have been carrying Glock G22 with spare mag(31rd of 40S&W), rather then my kahrs. So I guess Kahr had some down time for me to sit down and looked at some of these things thats been nagging me since the day one.

Be nice to have another barrel around to see how it lined up with the pin in.
It would certainly be.
I guess thats the price I have to pay to have this otherwise excellent pistol that noone around here have(not even any local or semi local shop around here has them)
Which is why I was hoping some of you could look at your T9...

Bawanna
12-18-2012, 02:06 PM
I've only seen one in person ever. Guy let me hold it at a gunshow for about half an hour. I so hated to give it back, it felt like it was custom made for my hand.

I will have one some day if there are enough days.

As long as it runs like eggs thru a hen, one almost hates to mess with it but worth sending the pictures in for evaluation. Can't hurt a thing.

JustinN
12-18-2012, 02:29 PM
John has one, if he checks this corner of the forum he can chime in, but from what I remember when fondling it the slide matched up fine in the back. Can't say on the other issues as I didn't do more than drool on it.

FLBri
12-18-2012, 03:30 PM
I have 3 T's (2 9's and a 40). They don't all line up perfectly. But they are not off to any significant amount that ever bothered me. I would call CS and ask them to do something about it. Even though it functions great, fit and finish is still important and this isn't some garage sale pistol.

I can understand why it would not affect function being off that small amount ... the barrel is part of the slide assemble and the slide stop pin is anchoring the slide assembly into the frame. The only interaction of the frame to the slide assembly is the trigger bar/cocking cam (other than the magazine feeding the bullet of course). There is some 'built in' forgiveness there. It certainly won't affect the striker into the primer as at that point they are all part of the same slide.

But like I say ... fit and finish are important. If you have another firearm to hold you over, I would send it in and let them fiddle with the barrel.

FLBri
12-19-2012, 07:19 AM
Ok ... at home last night I checked out the stable. Out of three T series frames one of them rides perfectly flush, one rides less than flush, and one rides past flush. They all perform flawlessly. They are all more accurate than any other handgun I have tried.

dkmatthews
12-20-2012, 10:42 AM
I agree with the accuracy of the T's. T9 and T40 are both great. Waiting on the T45.

I also agree about sending the photos to Kahr's CS and letting them make a judgment. They may offer to fix it up for you. They may not. You'll never know if you don't contact them.