PDA

View Full Version : Thumbly Running Out of Gas

OldLincoln
12-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Some of you may recall that when getting started I found a Thumbly vibrator stuck in the back of a LGS shelf. I offered the guy $10 which he quickly accepted.

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Misc/Vibrator1.jpg

Well, now after several thousand reloads it's acting like a neglected mule. It was cold last night so when I started up this mornings load it chugged a bit and I thought it was going to stall until I picked it up and tilted it a bit.

I'm of the old school of pounding nails out of 2x4's for reuse and straightening bent nails. But I have to say it's time for a replacement. The challenge will be do I toss this one or keep it "just in case", sigh, it's hard being me.

MW surveyor
12-20-2012, 11:49 AM
OL - That Thumbly is a tumbler is it not? If it is, you might just try to gently take it apart, clean all of the bearing surfaces, re-lube, put it back together and test it out.

Can't hurt (that is if you don't lose anything), might help.

Scoundrel
12-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Another possibility would be to pack it up in a box and send it back to the manufacturer with a well written letter explaining how you really respect and enjoy their products for the many years of service you get out of them, and ask if they be so kind as to repair or replace this product for you under warranty. Don't call them first, you'll get a minimum wage flunky who doesn't care and has been instructed to abide by the letter of the warranty terms, and will tell you no without even feeling bad about it. But the person who receives the package, well, that might be a different story.

Don't go as far as telling them that you picked it up used for $10. That's "extra" information they don't really need.

Worst case, they ship it back to you and say no, we won't do that. Then you can recycle it, knowing you gave it your best shot.

OldLincoln
12-20-2012, 01:47 PM
It was "new" for $10 but covered in dust and some loose parts floating around, missing the cover. It retailed at some unreasonable price over $50, but I saw a "bent nail" and couldn't help myself. It's why I don't go to swap meets and take 2 hours in Lowes to but a screw. I see stuff and think of a project that would use it.

I did write to Lyman and they sent a nice reply saying they discontinued that a long time back and don't have any parts or manuals, but they did send a pdf of the original brochure.

I plan of a disassembly and lube up all bearing again. May be tickleish as I superglued some of the body together but heck I can always superglue the new breaks I make. Might make a pic for a "There I Fixed It" thread on a red neck forum.

muggsy
12-20-2012, 01:48 PM
It ain't cheatin unless yer caught.

MW surveyor
12-31-2012, 08:26 AM
Well, what was the outcome?

Tilos
12-31-2012, 10:05 AM
OL:
We must be brothers from different mothers, I grew up poor, never thru anything away and have a garage full of stuff that needs fixin'.
I "upgraded" my turbo tumbler with a new bowl that separates the media and built a tumbler out of the extra bowl.
I use the home brewed tumbler more the the original now.
I've seen plans for a DIY tumblers online, using $20 worth of hardware and a small motor.
Like me, you probably have most of the stuff needed squirreled away somewhere.

OldLincoln
12-31-2012, 12:56 PM
I took it down and lubed the bearings and shook out the parts that came off earlier, then reassembled it with wire tires. It kicked over like a Model A then began to purr like a John Dear. It ran fine all through the second half of the 3300 cases about 100 at a time for 4 hours each batch. I felt like I was abusing the puppy like towing a trailer with a riding lawnmower but it is a sweet puppy and never complained.

As far as home made, last Saturday I finally tossed a 1/2 hp pump motor that got water in the sleeve bearings and froze up. I thought I could rescue it for a project like a large tumbler, but then I don't really shoot enough to justify all that duct tape that would inevitably hold it all together. I already have to step over stuff to do anything at my work bench. Maybe next Spring I'll clean it up a bit.

MW surveyor
12-31-2012, 01:02 PM
Very good to read that it is running again.

BTW, I know too well the "steppin over stuff". But like I told my wife the other day when we really needed something to fix something major that was broke, "I one in the garage and this is the reason that I don't throw away good junk."

getsome
12-31-2012, 04:19 PM
Glad you got her up and running there Old Lincoln...If it breaks again try what I did....

I have an RCBC vibrating case cleaner bought new...I messed up and set it on a piece of carpet while running one time and it blocked the air vent holes and ruined the motor...I sent it back with a letter wanting to know how much to replace the motor since the unit did such a good job and I wanted to keep it if they could repair it to let me know what the cost would be for the work and shipping...

Couple weeks later a box shows up with a brand new unit inside...Note in the box said replaced unit under warranty due to defect...

I was very surprised and pleased with RCBS for standing behind their product like that even though it was my fault it broke and they knew it but replaced it anyway....I find that reloading equipment manufacturers are number one when it comes to customer service...

When it comes time to buy new dies or equipment quess what brand I'm looking for...Yep RCBS...What goes around comes around and since they paid it forward for me I plan on returning my future business to them....

Tilos
12-31-2012, 05:12 PM
A box fan motor is about perfect for a tumbler and it's hard for me to pass peoples curbside trash while dog walking.
At the least my pocket knife will salvage the electrical cord from anything that has one.
You just need more shelving in the garage:o

mr surveyor
12-31-2012, 05:58 PM
...At the least my pocket knife will salvage the electrical cord from anything that has one....:o

you do that too?:)