PDA

View Full Version : Advice sought on breaking in my new p380

manalive
12-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Just purchased a p380. Haven't even picked it up yet but I'm wanting to get advice about the break-in period. What advice do any of you have for me? Also, interested in any advice about ccw holsters. Thanks! PS--even any general/other advice will be welcomed.

PYROhafe
12-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Not real sure what advice you're looking for specifically, but first off, welcome to the forum, and great choice on a gun. I love my p380, great shootin lil pocket pistol! But anways.... check out the new member section of the forum, and look at the KAHR LUBE DIAGRAM, and the PROPER PREP OF A NEW KAHR. Both of those have some great info to get you started. Other than that, run a couple hundred rounds of full power FMJ rounds through that sweet lil thing, and report back to us on how it goes. You've picked a great forum to get answers to any of the questions you might have so feel free to ask!

manalive
12-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the advice! The first box of range ammo bought is Independence 90gr FMJ. Is 90gr considered high-powered for the 380? I'm not that familiar with ammo specs.

getsome
12-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Well I have been over on the general forum getting my blood pressure up all morning so decided to come over here for a bit and chill out...

First off as PYROhafe said Welcome to Kahrtalk and congrats on your new P380 which is one of if not the finest little .380 out there.....Do read the prep a new Kahr sticky and do everything mentioned there...(much good info)....Kahr pistols are super tight from the factory and they mean what they say about them requiring at least 200 rounds before they break in somewhat...

The ammo you mentioned is standard FMJ stuff and not high power carry ammo and will be fine to break in your pistol...Most folks go with Wal Mart Winchester White Box range ammo but unfortunately due to recent events there is ammo hording going on and it may be hard to find anything for a while until things settle down so when you see some .380 pick it up before it's gone...

Now go to the range and shoot shoot shoot it...The more rounds down range the better it's going to behave...You may have a few hickups like FTF Failure to feed or FTE failure to eject at first but don't worry about it just clear it and keep shooting...

New Kahr pistols like to run with pleanty of lube when new so keep it well oiled at first....

Most folks pocket carry the P380 so find a good pocket holster you like and always use it, never carry it without a holster to cover the trigger as thats you only safety with this style gun...I pocket carry my PM40 in a cheap Uncke Mikes holster I found at Bass Pro Shop and it works fine for me...Other more expensive holsters can be found like the Desantis or a Galco and I have tried both and they are fine holsters but i found the Uncle Mikes keeps my pistol more upright in my pocket as it is more of a squared off design and I just like it better but you may like some of the others better...

Again welcome to the forum and if you have any questions just ask away, theres lots of real nice folke here always willing to help out...Good luck to you.

XD40SC
12-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Here's a couple of links that PYROhafe suggested you check out. http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521 (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521)
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=308
Suggestions to run a couple hundred rounds through it before even worrying about any FTF or Failure to return to Battery, is spot on. Just clear them and keep going. Holsters are very personal and everyone has their favorite. Mine is made by Uncle George, great value and works as advertised. Welcome aboard. http://www.unclegeorgeswalletholsters.com/Pages/default.aspx

manalive
12-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks guys (I'm assuming!) and for the good tips. Yeah, being new to the Kahr and wanting to bone-up on it before I take possession, I began by googling it and watching some youtube demos. That's where I read so much about "failure to load" --especially when it's just out of the box. I don't let that stuff get to me and your comments about not getting rattled with loading glitches during the break-in period seem like common sense to me. I'll let you know how it goes after I've run a few hundred rounds through it--which I'm really looking forward to!

I'm also applying here (San Diego) for a CCW license, but in the past I've heard they are nearly impossible to get. We'll see. But, as they say. I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Merry Christmas to y'all!

Geobob
12-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Hello, Manalive, and welcome from Missouri to a really great forum.

Best wishes for a wonderful Christmas and safe, good New Year!

manalive
12-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Thanks Bob. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well. I'll be seeing you around on the site.

manalive
12-21-2012, 10:16 PM
The links were really helpful. I copied the jpg of oiling the p380 and saved it as a reference. I also ordered a holster from Uncle George.

RRP
12-22-2012, 03:05 AM
~
I also ordered a holster from Uncle George.

I never met Uncle George. He must be Mike's brother. ;)

George makes a nice wallet holster (http://www.unclegeorgeswalletholsters.com/Pages/default.aspx).

ZardozCZ
12-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Read the manual, read the excellant break in and lubing threads, get several hundred rounds, some targets, then after a good read-clean-lube bring it to the range and be ready for fun!

I bought a CM9 last Spring and found this to be a most welcoming and useful forum. It helped me treat my cm right and get the most out of it.

Welcome to the best forum and to ownership of the best American pocket pistols made!

Massage your cheek muscles, they're gonna get quit a workout from all the grinning you'll be doing!

muggsy
12-22-2012, 08:05 AM
My best advice is not to attempt to break-in the p380 by shooting 200 rounds in a single range trip. Clean and lube it every fifty rounds during the break in. Use good quality ball ammunition. My P380 ate PMC ball ammo like Rosie O'Donnell eats doughnuts. Run it wet during the break-in period and you should experience fewer problems, if any. Chamber the first round using the slide release during the break-in.

manalive
12-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks Muggsy! This is just the kind of advice I was looking for. (Your reference to Rosie O'Donnell cracked me up!)

manalive
12-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Well, Mike--or somebody--should get a bit of commission 'cause I just clicked on through and ordered the holster.

manalive
12-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Thanks ZardozCZ, that was just what I was looking for. Yeah, I'm really looking forward to putting a few hundred rounds downrange in the new year!:D

muggsy
01-05-2013, 06:25 AM
If I keep my gun in my wallet where do I put my money and ID? Never mind, forget I asked.

wyntrout
01-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Watch the take down video because it will save you some grief on putting your new pistol back together. There are some tricky areas with the recoil spring and especially the slide lock spring and slide lock insertion. It's covered nicely in the manual and the Kahr video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G2cZgVg_SwA

Wynn:)