PDA

View Full Version : New 30-30 Dies

mr surveyor
12-26-2012, 11:28 AM
well, I've been contemplating loading 30-30 for a couple of years, and putting it off for a couple of years. One of my best buddies gave me a set of RCBS dies for Christmas so now I have no excuse.... except for no LR primers, no bullets and no proper powder...and no money left. I guess I will also have to get a brass trimmer now. Never needed one for the mountains of revolver brass I've been loading, but the bottle necked brass is certainly going to get proper attention.

I'll be looking for 150 gr Rem Core-Lokts or equivalent, IMR 4895 (or possibly 3031 or Reloader 15). My old 1973 vintage 336 shoots 1 moa from a rest with the factory 150 grain Core Lokts, so that's what I'll probably try to replicate. I'd like to use cast boolits, but I have no desire to deal with long barrel leading while trying to work up a load.

garyb
12-26-2012, 12:52 PM
mr surveyor, I know exactly how you feel. I have only been reloading for my 40, but I have 30 06 and 300 win mag rifles that I eventually hope to reload for. I simply don't shoot them enough to justify purchasing the dies and all the other supplies, because I am not shooting them much at all. However, it would be good to get set up for future needs, especially as ammo gets impossible to purchase. Expanding my loader capabilities is always in the back of my mind too.