PDA

View Full Version : Got my TP9 today (orig. format)

Gangplank
12-31-2012, 07:02 AM
I just picked up a used TP9 today. Found it in the gun library at Cabellas. It came with 3 mags for $424 on the cabellas employee pricing sale deal they have going on for years end. :-D

Got it home & was puzzled by the 3 mags it came with. One 7rnd flush mount & 2 8rnd with grip extension. Looked on the Kahr site and got a little concerned that I had the wrong magazines. Did a little interwebz reading and came accross a review noting the TP9 was changed at some point. Apparently went from orig. format with 4" barrel and shorter frame & grip to a longer frame & grip.

The original being called a TP9 makes sense to me. It looks like a T9 slide upper on a P9 frame handle = TP9 right?

Not sure why they changed it? Plan to clean, lube & take it to the range tomorrow for a test run. Looking forward to it.

Will post pics later....

JustinN
12-31-2012, 07:40 AM
Congrats on the new purchase. Definitely post some pictures of it once you've got it shined up nice and pretty.

Short Bus
12-31-2012, 07:46 AM
That sounds like a great CCW option.

ripley16
12-31-2012, 08:18 AM
Again, welcome to the forum. That was an excellent deal, IMHO. There are three kahr mags that should fit your "old style" TP9. They are the simple 7 or 8 round mags and the extended grip 8 round mags. The "new style" long grip TP only takes the long simple 8 round mag.

MikeyKahr
12-31-2012, 08:25 AM
Congrats again gangplank, a great deal too! Looking forward to the range report.

Gangplank
12-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks all. Seemed like a good deal for a used gun w/ 3 mags. Doesn't look like its had too much use. Will know more when I get into it to clean up.

Here's a pic but I haven't cleaned it yet.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/01/ta3y8u6u.jpg

Next up is range report. Been a while since I was at the range so I'm not expecting perfection. ;-)

Holster recommendations appreciated. Thinking IWB w/ 1 extra magazine

addictedhealer
12-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Congrats.

p.s. Gangplank was my favorite character in LOL as well. :)

Gangplank
12-31-2012, 02:38 PM
Congrats.

p.s. Gangplank was my favorite character in LOL as well. :)

Favorite character? Its a name I've had kinda forever.

Short Bus
12-31-2012, 03:50 PM
WOW that frame is short at the muzzle end!!! It looks like they really just used a P9 frame. It makes me want to find a TP9 slide and barrel.

Gangplank
12-31-2012, 04:19 PM
You would need the older TP9 slide & barrel. Wonder if they still make it. I'd love to try someone's P9 slide and barrel on mine. If it fit then I could get those & have both!

jocko
12-31-2012, 04:59 PM
You would need the older TP9 slide & barrel. Wonder if they still make it. I'd love to try someone's P9 slide and barrel on mine. If it fit then I could get those & have both!

think it wuld work, but I guess I would ask WHY??? U have both but only one gun, but a coplete P9 and be done with it. If down the road u wanted to sell ur combo if would have to be sold as a combo, bur you could not buy from kahr the lower frame only to mate up with the slide and barrel that you have left. Ugot the best of the best with the TP, , IMO not worth it to go to a P9 which is smaller buyt not enough to brag about . Just sayin.

Gangplank
12-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Good point

chrish
12-31-2012, 07:14 PM
I've swapped mine out both ways, P9 slide on TP9 and vice-versa...I've got the newer TP9 w/ the longer grip. Obviously TP9 frame and P9 slide is a goofy looking combo. If it weren't the serialized part, I'd consider cutting my TP9 frame down and use the P9 slide and TP9 frame in a 'commander' format. It would look really cool.

Anyway...I have not put any rounds thru, but in both cases, the slide seems to cycle completely and seems totally functional. But, the rails are in slightly different positions and I've decided to leave them as they were meant to be and leave well enough alone.

Gangplank
01-02-2013, 12:40 AM
So I guess the "Covert" models from a few years back were called that b/c they had shorter frames w/ 1 less round.

So we should dub the original TP9s the TP9 Covert. It's got a shorter handle & 1 less round. :D

Gangplank
01-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Called Kahr today and got some info.

My TP9 with serial YD60xx - TP9 - was built Jan. 2007. Added this to the serial list.

They confirmed that original TP models were built on the P frame and as we already know there was a changeover to give the TP line it's own frame. They were not able to tell me when the change happened and just said it was an in-line mfg change from the P9 frame to the TP frame but no records were kept on exactly when.

Original covert model TP9 model on P frame has 4.5" frame height per CS rep. "bottom of frame to top of slide." My measurement was to top of rear sight for the added 1/4".

Current full size TP9 model on TP frame has 5.08" frame. Rest is the same between the two guns.

Gangplank
01-03-2013, 04:05 PM
So I guess I'm lucky in that I work right down the block from an indoor firing range. Funny thing that I've never gone in before today. They charge $10 for unlimited time, the lead-free frangible bullets are $22 for 50 rounds of 9mm and +$2 for a man sized target (available in "bad guy" or zombie motifs) or you can bring your own. The pricing really isn't that bad when you think that 9mm runs about $18-25 for 50 at local gun shops, and it would cost me $5 in gas to get to the closest outdoor area to shoot anyhow. Here in Reno there is snow on the ground and it is cold so I went indoor. Will definitely go back. Only thing that took some getting used to was people right 2' away blasting away with .45 cal.

Anyway, took the new to me TP9 "covert" there today. Gun worked perfectly, cycled everything with no hangups and no issues. I haven't been shooting in a while so I didn't expect much in terms of accuracy.

This is my first DAO firearm so I expect it will take me a little while to get used to the way it fires. The gun fired well. Trigger was definitely longer pull than I am used to. Weight wise it was consistent, smooth and has a clean break, but very long pull compared to the DA/SA XDm that I am used to shooting. Obviously it has a better trigger in terms of consistency. I never liked the XDm trigger all that much. It shoots fine but it doesn't feel as consistent or maybe it is just that it doesn't give as much info feedback to the handler. Not sure.

Because it is smaller and light it has more felt recoil that is for sure. The other guns I was considering when I got this Kahr were the Beretta PX4c (compact not subcompact) or the Stoeger Cougar 8000L (compact as well). Both in 9mm. Those two guns have a rotating barrel which is supposed to give low recoil. I may still try them out sometime having fired my friend's PX4-40 and liking the low recoil. Back to the Kahr. It has recoil but nothing obnoxious. It was good handling and doesn't kick too much.

How was the accuracy you might ask? The long trigger has me shooting low to start. Yes, I know it's me getting used to the long trigger. I tried adjusting a little on my grip and the groups got better as I got used to to the gun. The last couple of mags got better. Still low but the groups were more accurate and within reason considering I haven't been out shooting in about a year. I'll post a couple of pics in a few.

I had more of a hard time with loading the magazines than shooting the gun. I'm not sure the previous owner even used it enough to break the magazines in. They sure were still loading the last few rounds in each one.

I can say I REALLY like the gun. Something about it is just smooth and consistent. It cycles so nicely every time. Smooth as can be. For the first time out with it I'm happy. I'm planning to get a few rounds in every week to get used to it and more accurate. Practice, practice, practice.

Gangplank
01-03-2013, 04:09 PM
Well, don't make too much fun of me. New to me gun and I'm woefully out of practice :-/

The squares are 1". This was at 21 feet. Like I said I was shooting a little low from the start.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/04/y9utydyj.jpg

This was at 15 feet. I can live with it for long time away from the range and a new to me DAO trigger.

forestranger
01-03-2013, 04:56 PM
That's good shootin"! I haven't had the "itch" for a new gun since I bought my CW9 and CM9 last summer. Even though I never even seen a live TP9, they starting to make me itch:eek:

ripley16
01-03-2013, 05:04 PM
I had more of a hard time with loading the magazines than shooting the gun.
You may want to invest in a Uplula loader. Makes loading almost fun. Well, not fun, but easier. A good investment IMHO.

Gangplank
01-03-2013, 09:51 PM
That's good shootin"! I haven't had the "itch" for a new gun since I bought my CW9 and CM9 last summer. Even though I never even seen a live TP9, they starting to make me itch:eek:

Thanks. I was definitely happy with it, but would like to see more in the square. Next time... TP9c gets a thumbs up from me.

You may want to invest in a Uplula loader. Makes loading almost fun. Well, not fun, but easier. A good investment IMHO.

I definitely need one of those... or two. One for me and one for the wife so I don't need to load hers too. :D

Gangplank
01-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Ok. Got the UpLula. WOW!! That's better. Ha!

Also got the Hogue HandAll Jr. today. Took it to the range. Niceee! I like the extra palm swell!

Put another 50 rounds through the "TP9c" today. Felt even better. Groups were better overall as I got used to the grip, trigger and sights.

I'm really liking this gun!

Redstate
01-06-2013, 10:09 AM
I've got a Houge Handall on my P9 covert and like it very much with the palm swell. The pistol feels so much better in my hand. Nice find on the TP9 "covert".