PDA

View Full Version : New CM9 owner from Texas

rev98
01-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Thank you for all those that work hard to make this a good, informative place for gun owners.

I got my first Kahr (CM9) at a gun show before Christmas. It was listed at $387. I hope I got a good deal. It was the only one I found at the gun show and this is a fairly large gun show. There were lots of CW9's and a few PM9's.

I shot 35 rounds right out of the box before I found this site. I hope I didn't mess anything up. All 35 rounds were flawless. I have cleaned and lubed and now I'm torn on what to do.

I should have bought some ammo at the gun show, but I was already close to my self-imposed budget for the day. Now it's difficult to find 9mm ammo locally, and I really don't want to purchase ammo online. I found 200 rounds of PPU, but I'm hesitant to break in the CM9 with that ammo, because of some reviews online. I have some more expensive defense ammo, but I don't want to use much of that.

I really want to start carrying the gun asap, but I'm somewhat nervous to break it in with the PPU. Should I wait to see if I can get some better ammo for break in, or will the PPU stuff work fine?

Also the plastic of the frame that meets the slide at the back plate is sticking out a little causing a sharp edge. I think it's just a cosmetic thing, but at first I thought maybe it was cracked. Am I good to just sand or file that down so it is flush with the back plate?

I like the gun so far, and as long as it breaks in good, I will be carrying it. Was suprised by how much I like the trigger.

Scott

skiflydive
01-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Welcome to the forum. You're going to love that CM9!

The misalignment you mentioned has been mentioned by others. Most say it's OK to leave it that way but if it bugs you to go ahead and file or sand it down.

To save yourself a little ribbing on here...don't bring up the little "chip" out of the left side guide rail when you notice it...it's supposed to be there.

Have fun!

rjt123
01-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Welcome from down in Corpus Christi. Always nice to have another Texan on board.

Flincher
01-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Welcome from balmy North Dakota

JustinN
01-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Welcome to the forum, enjoy it, and enjoy the new gun (when you find bullets for it).

As for PPU.....if that's what you got, try it out. If the gun seems to be ok with it (following the prep and break in stuff on here) you're golden. If you have a lot of trouble with it, chalk it up as bad ammo, and let the gun rest until you find some better bullets.

JFootin
01-08-2013, 02:44 PM
I buy ammo online frequently. No biggie. The nearest Walmart is a 34 mile round trip and they don't ever have much or are sold out entirely. So I pay a few dollars for shipping to my door and it works out great.

Welcome to the forum, rev98! :) There is a wealth of valuable information in the New Member Area (http://kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56) and the Kahr-Tech (http://kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27) sections of the forum.

And welcome to the CM9 Owners Club! :D Our official symbol is the wide grin smily because we are so happy with our purchase that we can't wipe the smiles off our faces!

Here is your club badge.
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/Smilies/BigSmily.jpg

7shot
01-08-2013, 03:46 PM
congrats on the new cm9 and enjoy the forum.

i went to the saxet gun show in san antonio last weekend, got there at 9am and people were standing in line a football field long. it was crazy, left and went home f that...

rev98
01-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Range report: shot 90 rds of PPU. Only had one jam and that was after first shot with 7 rd mag. Flawless so far with 6 rd mag.
Where can I buy more 6 rd mags?

JLeephoto
01-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Keep burning though the first 200 with whatever ammo you can find. Then shoot all but 7 rounds of your carry choice. Assuming all is good, and it should be, take that little girl for the Walmart walk in to replenish. Congrats and enjoy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

rev98
01-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Need to find some more 6 rd mags. I noticed when loading mag that the base is a little loose. Is that normal?

JLeephoto
01-08-2013, 07:50 PM
BTW, once she loosins up, the 7rd mag should work too. Until then make sure you are chambering the first round with the slide release, then drop the mag and check that the top round is flush with the back of the mag. Reinsert and rock and roll. You can get additional 6 round mags from the Kahr store and a bunch of other online dealers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Geobob
01-08-2013, 09:36 PM
Hello, Scott, and welcome from Missouri to a really great forum. Good people and info here!

Best wishes for a safe, prosperous New Year to you and yours.

rev98
01-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Thx for the welcome guys. Hey Geobob, I used to live in Springfield (actually house was in Ozark).

Geobob
01-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Hello, Scott, and welcome from Missouri to a really great forum. Good people and info here!

Here is a very good technical review of self defense ammo that you might find useful:
http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

Best wishes for a safe, prosperous New Year to you and yours.

rjt123
01-11-2013, 12:01 AM
Rev,

You got any time free on Friday or Saturday? We need to go over to the SharpShooter and give the guns a workout.

-- RJT --

wyntrout
01-11-2013, 12:21 AM
One of the best place for mags is here:

http://www.ivanhoeoutlet.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1587

They have the 6-round mags for the P380 in stock for $27.50 each and shipping is just $5 for your whole order via USPS Priority Mail... very fast service.

I use the cheapest FMJ... round-nosed... that I can find... only brass cases, though.
PPU should be good if it's not flat-nosed. I've used a lot of S&B, Herters, MFS, or whatever I can find a good online deal on. If you look and sign up for email from some of the sites, you can get sales updates... or check the sticky under AMMO for others' links or recent deals. You can save on taxes by buying out of state and really shop for bargains, but you have to buy enough to make it worth your shipping... which could be low or free sometimes, but one or a few boxes doesn't make sense for $15 shipping. You can get half a case shipped for that much sometimes.

Wynn:)

Wynn:)