PDA

View Full Version : P-45 Slide goes forward when mag inserted

DblTapFst
09-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I bought a new P-45, have fired 300 rounds to date.
When I insert a new mag, about 3/4 of the time the slide closes with out me touching the slide release. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this ok for a Kahr? Thanks in advance for your thoughts/ideas.

lunde
09-08-2009, 10:22 PM
That's a feature, not a bug. ;)

cineski
09-09-2009, 08:15 AM
I have to say, if it did this by default, it would be awesome. In any handgun. The issue here is, you may end up relying on this "feature" when in fact it doesn't do it all the time, and it's really not supposed to. In an under stress situation, this may screw your motor skills up. Just curious, are you inserting the magazine hard?

DblTapFst
09-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Lunde - I agree. I am thinking it is part of the new Rapid Reload Capability.

Cineski - Yes, good observation, this only happens when I slap the mag in hard (during fast reloads). If I insert the mag slowly, I use the slide release as per the instruction manual.

I am not concerned about this, just as Cineski pointed out, I don't want to depend on the auto-close slide feature:).

Thanks guys.

gabell
09-09-2009, 05:41 PM
So......is this a feature of the P45 or not?

lunde
09-09-2009, 07:46 PM
For most modern semi-automatic pistols, especially those with polymer frames, if you seat the magazine with some gusto, it can cause the slide to go forward, thus chambered a fresh round.

Cappy
09-11-2009, 01:20 PM
I bought a new P-45, have fired 300 rounds to date.
When I insert a new mag, about 3/4 of the time the slide closes with out me touching the slide release. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this ok for a Kahr? Thanks in advance for your thoughts/ideas.

My p45 does the samething when I slap the full mag in. My PM9 does not do this though. The big difference I have seen between the two guns is my P45 has a very tight fit for the magazine, and requires more force to get it to lock in. The PM9 magazine has some wiggle to it when locked in, and I don't get the auto close when I slap the full mag in. It is something you will just need to remain aware when loading.

jocko
09-15-2009, 05:45 AM
Lunde - I agree. I am thinking it is part of the new Rapid Reload Capability.

Cineski - Yes, good observation, this only happens when I slap the mag in hard (during fast reloads). If I insert the mag slowly, I use the slide release as per the instruction manual.

I am not concerned about this, just as Cineski pointed out, I don't want to depend on the auto-close slide feature:).

Thanks guys.

do that every time with my G19 IF I slap it home hard. If in doubt call kahr and ahve them send you a new slide lock lever, u might just have one a bit out of tolerance, I doubt it and IMO, I would tell my self jsut to live with it, as it works when done properly and again slamming home and having the magaziner auto close might not be a bad thing in a dire situation either...

jocko
09-15-2009, 05:46 AM
so......is this a feature of the p45 or not?

no it is not

jason29072
09-15-2009, 02:18 PM
My P45 did this three times during the first 200 rounds when I slammed the magazine home with authority. I have not been able to make it happen again. I'm not sure if the magazine catch wore in a bit or not. You can make this happen at will?

jocko
09-15-2009, 03:04 PM
I think we see to many macho movie films where this is done and we think it is the norm. It isn't and I willcontend that many guns if you slam um home they will auto slide release. If it locks open on the last round the gun is doing what it is designed to do. If after that one slams a magazine in and it release, not sure the gun is designed to hold back on releasing. If you look at that slide lock when engaged, it isn't grabbing on with alot of area in the first place so more than likely any hard knocks given to it might just release the slide.

My para 9 was very very bad about that...

keoni
09-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Check if the slide stop is fully engaging the slide cut. Mine was not and new magazines was the fix.

pokey074
10-11-2009, 11:33 PM
My P45 does this, my PM9 does not. GLOCKs will do this too.

In-Yo-Grill
10-12-2009, 07:53 AM
My wife's Bersa .380 does this intermittently and I don't care for it. I prefer the gun to work the same way every time but that isn't the case.

I tend to seat my mags with a little force to make sure they are seated properly.

WMD
10-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Actually, I have seen condition on several guns (besides Kahr). If you slap the mag hard enough, it will send the slide on its way home. Not a big deal. I think Jocko is right. Live with it and do not worry too much about it.

bladerunner747
10-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Glocks do it and some H&K as well. No big deal as long as it strips a round from the magazine and chambers it OK. Startling at times because it doesn't happen all the time!!