PDA

View Full Version : Conceled carry laws in your state?

Zippo Guy
09-09-2009, 08:44 AM
What is the conceled carry law in your state and what is the process to get your permit issued?

California is a "may carry" state. It is up to your local Sheriff to issue the permit. Most small rural counties are not a problem to get a Conceled Weapons Permit, but the larger counties haven't issued them in years. One county hasn't issued a single CWP in over 70 years.

Where I live you must pass a 4 hour class and qualify with the weapons you want on your permit and go through the fingerprinting process. Our Sheriff has just upped it to 4 guns on ther permit.

I was in Reno a couple of weeks ago for a gun show and learned the following. My CA CWP is not reconized in Nevada. If I take an 8 hour class in Nevada I then can get a Nevada, Utah and Florida Conceled Weapons Permit. As a non-resident of Nevada the Nevada CWP is not recognized, but the Utah CWP would allow me to carry in Nevada. How much sense does that make?

MattTheKnife
09-09-2009, 08:51 AM
I too live in California and have a CCW permit. I have an out of state Utah permit. The last I heard (as of two months ago) is that Nevada no longer recognizes the Utah permit. Am I missing something?

Zippo Guy: nice handle. I've been a collector of those lighters for quite some time.

MisterAnderson
09-09-2009, 03:28 PM
How much sense does that make?

Just remember, it doesn't have to make sense, it's just the law.

FYI: http://www.Handgunlaw.us is a great source for state information on CC.

JimE
09-09-2009, 07:13 PM
I live in Michigan and the laws are pretty simple here. You take an 8 hour course, shoot 100 rounds and you get your ccw. You can carry as many weapons as you want, your not limited to the one you qualified with. In my home town of 1,500 people there are over 400 ccw's issued. They are easy to get as long as you don't have a felony record. One other difference that suprises me is we can carry in a bar as long as they serve food. I think a lot of states frown on that.

.45mac.40
09-09-2009, 07:54 PM
:D
Texas Concealed Handgun Association (http://www.txchia.org)

www.TexasCHLforum.com

You'd think with a Federal and (Your) State background..... we would be

authorized to carry... every where. :confused:

Mac

Bigcube
09-09-2009, 08:00 PM
NY will issue a CCW but it will be restricted to hunting and target practice. With justification or proof of training that can be updated to no restrictions but it requires a letter to the judge. They have extensive background checks including mental health checks and it is a very high cost and a very long wait to get one. You need to provide references and they do contact the names you provide. There is no limit on the number of guns but each and every one needs to be added to your permit by the sheriff. NY does not honer any other states permit so hence very few states will honor NY. Upstate NY permit is not valid in NYC, but I never want to go there anyway ;) Makes it tough if you want to relocate for work. I'm going to end up getting an out of state permit from Utah or Fla to open up options to transfer with work. There is an instructor that hold classes for both states in my area. I'm signed up for the "upgrade" class in oct. I've had my restricted permit for almost 20 years and have moved it to 3 different counties.

Bigcube
09-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Matt and zippo guy, I have heard my P22 is on CA ban list due to the threaded barrel.. crazy :eek:

ltxi
09-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Colorado -- shall issue -- local county sheriff -- with a few exceptions basic training required -- background check -- about $150 max for initial 5 year issue, less on renewal -- permit not gun specific.

There are at least five states I will not live in in this country anymore -- MA/NY/NJ/IL/CA

jimmer
09-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Oregon C.H.L. , similar to Colorado, 3 hr basic training with test, county sheriff application & approval, background check, finger print, no felony, no misdemeanors in last four years, no gun restrictions, approx $150.00, 4 years. Each city and county here has their own C.C. laws.

gontomt
09-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Montana is a "Shall Issue" state, requireing a full Federal Background check and at least Hunter Safety course. Issued by County Sheriff, but valid in entire State One can carry a sidearm without a permit so long as the weapon is in full view, or concealed without a permit in rural areas during "Outdoor Activities" (e.g. hunting, hiking, mountainbiking, skiing, etc. - We have cayotes, rattlesnakes, mountain lions, and bears here!). One can carry concealed anywhere with a permit except in certain municipalities (such as they are!) like Helena (the Capitol), bars, schools, banks and government buildings. Anyone who can legally own a gun can, without a permit, have them in their house, apartment, or vehicle (90% of all do just that).

Montana recognizes any state CCW permit issued by a state requiring a full Fed background check, as do some other states recognize ours for the same reason.

There is very little in the way of burglary, car-jacking, or road-rage here, partly because of the "90%" statistic mentioned above.

MattTheKnife
09-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Bigcube,

I'm assuming you mean a Walther P22. California gun laws are crazy here (but not as bad as other states). The Walther P22 is available, however every specific model needs to be tested to be sold.

example: The NAA mini revolvers are available here. However, only the 1 1/8" models have been tested to sell. The 1 5/8" medels were not submitted for testing and are not available for new purchase despite being the same gun.

Without knowing the Walther catalog, it's possible your specific model was not submitted for the approved list. Having a threaded barrel is a whole different animal . . .

Bigcube
09-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Bigcube,

I'm assuming you mean a Walther P22. California gun laws are crazy here (but not as bad as other states). The Walther P22 is available, however every specific model needs to be tested to be sold.

example: The NAA mini revolvers are available here. However, only the 1 1/8" models have been tested to sell. The 1 5/8" medels were not submitted for testing and are not available for new purchase despite being the same gun.

Without knowing the Walther catalog, it's possible your specific model was not submitted for the approved list. Having a threaded barrel is a whole different animal . . .
Yes, a Walther P22. It has a threaded barrel by construction. It has a fixed barrel and there is a cap nut on the end with a long sleeve to hold it in place. Someone markets kit's to swap the cap nut to a nut with threads and easily adapt a silencer. I assumed that is why it was not legal in CA. Doesn't matter to me, I don't want to live there anyway. They could have changed approved it by now but I was told at one point it wasn't.

500KV
09-10-2009, 04:31 PM
TN has pretty good CCW laws. It's actually a carry permit, open or concealed.
Initial cost for the permit is $115 and $50 thereafter for 4 year periods.

We have good reciprocity coverage, except for the left coast and N.E.

State legislature just passed laws permitting carry in all public parks which were previously excluded, but some local governments have voted to impose their own PC restrictions in city and county owned parks.
More Bravo-Sierra.

johnh
09-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Missouri has a pretty good CCW law. Take a class, pass a very easy shooting requirement, pay a fee and you are good to go. The license is an endorsement on your DL or state non-driver ID. Renewal is three years and cheap. We can carry any place not posted, save for a short list of no-carry zones such as schools, ammusement parks, bars. No restrictions on gun quantity or type. If you can conceal your Tommy you can carry it.

;)

John

steve666
09-11-2009, 07:18 AM
Indiana is a shall issue state and now we have a lifetime permit available.

Dietrich
09-15-2009, 04:19 PM
North Carolina is a shall issue state and you apply to the sheriff of your home county. 8 hour class and a 40 round minimum range test at 3,5,and 7 yds. Written test at end of class. Background check and fingerprints. Total cash outlay was $80.00 for class,[but that can vary depending on who is teaching the class] $80.00 to sheriff and $10.00 for fingerprints. I got mine in about 3 weeks.We cannot carry in an establishment that sells alcohol to be consumed on premises and that includes restaurants. I don`t drink at all and that particular law irks me a little but we are trying to get it changed. There is already a zero tolerence for alcohol if you are carrying in N.C., so if you aren`t partaking, why shouldn`t you be able to carry in a restaurant? A little odd, ain`t it?

Cappy
09-16-2009, 02:08 PM
I live in Michigan and the laws are pretty simple here. You take an 8 hour course, shoot 100 rounds and you get your ccw. You can carry as many weapons as you want, your not limited to the one you qualified with. In my home town of 1,500 people there are over 400 ccw's issued. They are easy to get as long as you don't have a felony record. One other difference that suprises me is we can carry in a bar as long as they serve food. I think a lot of states frown on that.

If I may make a clarification to my understanding of the Michigan CPL (Concealed Pistol License) code with regard to establishments that serve alcohol. "A CPL is not valid in an establishment that derives the majority of its income from the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass." If you ask a LEO - he/she will most likely tell you it is their judgment call whether they feel the establishment obtains the majority of their income from alcohol. My advice, if it looks like a bar, sounds like a bar or could be a bar -- don't carry in there. Also, if you hit a blood-alcohol level to be considered influenced, (above 0.02) you will be in violation of your CPL and most likely lose both your CPL and gun. If you want a good place to reference the Michigan CPL laws - go to:
MCRGO - Frequently Asked Questions about Michigan Gun Laws (http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/d_ccwfaq.asp)

Jeremiah/Az
09-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Az. is an open carry state & also has a ccw permit. It was an 8 hour class with written test & you have to qualify at 7 yds. Permit is for all legal guns,not just the one you qualify with. At the end of Sept.,we can carry in a resturant that sells alcohol as long as you do not drink. Cost was $99 & $60 to the state.

Diocoles
10-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Colorado -- shall issue -- local county sheriff -- with a few exceptions basic training required -- background check -- about $150 max for initial 5 year issue, less on renewal -- permit not gun specific.

There are at least five states I will not live in in this country anymore -- MA/NY/NJ/IL/CA

+1 on those states.

Also Colorado is an open carry state. Exceptions are Denver and Breckenridge.
But you can carry concealed there with permit.

Dogman
10-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Indiana is a shall issue state and now we have a lifetime permit available.

Just to add a few other things.... Indiana issues a License to Carry Handgun.
We can open or conceal carry. No training is required. (which may be a good thing or may be a bad thing). No limit on the number of guns one may carry or own, as long as the gun is in your possession legally you may carry it.

paul0660
10-14-2009, 11:40 AM
I too live in California and have a CCW permit. I have an out of state Utah permit. The last I heard (as of two months ago) is that Nevada no longer recognizes the Utah permit. Am I missing something?

It is true that Nevada no longer recognizes the Utah permit. Nevada wants actual training, and Utah only requires a class.

I live in California and have a permit, because I am lucky enough to live in Mendocino County. One interesting sidelight to California permits is that we can carry in schools, unlike some other states.

zena
10-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Here in Massachusetts(behind enemy lines) there is no one set of rules for obtaining a Class A unrestricted license. Each town has their own rules. There are 6-7 different classes you can take to get your basic firearm safety certification...(here a firearm=pistol---go figure) and they range in time from 3-10 hours. Students shoot approx. 12-15 rounds out of a revolver and a semi-auto handgun. Then paperwork, fingerprints, back ground check.....We have to state a reason for wanting a permit. We encourage "All Lawful Purposes" as the stated reason. A local organization called GOAL tries to keep track of which towns do what and how long it takes to get a permit. It's a nightmare. And the list of guns we can't have in Mass. is many times longer than the list we can have. And that is only the beginning of the insanity. Permit is $100 for 6 years. Do I hear you all stampeding to move to Mass.??!!

zena
10-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Oh, I forgot! You cannot carry or transport a gun within 1000 feet of a school. With our densely populated areas, if we followed the letter of the law, none of us could ever leave home with a gun. But if you live within 1000 feet of a school, the law doesn't apply to you for that school.

Dietrich
10-15-2009, 05:06 AM
Zena,from your posts it seems you need a healthy dose of determination to get a permit in Mass. Not to mention patience.It speaks well of you.
It`s funny but this gives us a perfect example of how misleading a television show can be. A person watching the Boston Legal show would think that anyone could easily have a permit to possess and carry a handgun.
I loved the show even with its` left leaning agenda but I figured they were full of baloney when it came to firearms. They were full of baloney on a lot of things come to think of it.

zena
10-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Zena,from your posts it seems you need a healthy dose of determination to get a permit in Mass. Not to mention patience.It speaks well of you.
It`s funny but this gives us a perfect example of how misleading a television show can be. A person watching the Boston Legal show would think that anyone could easily have a permit to possess and carry a handgun.
I loved the show even with its` left leaning agenda but I figured they were full of baloney when it came to firearms. They were full of baloney on a lot of things come to think of it.

You know the saying, "Ignorance is bliss." That is where my gun permit and ownership path began. I had no idea how deep the doo was going to get. And an FYI: parts of Boston allow no carry at any time....think Cambridge.

Raul duke
10-15-2009, 10:43 PM
VA shall issue, statewide preemption law statewide, open carry as well. However you may only open carry in a resturaunt that serves alchol. Leo and certian judicial employees exempted of course their lives are worth more than that of mine and my families. I hypotheticly carry everywhere and all the time maybe hypotheticly i think.;)

wagon
10-16-2009, 02:21 PM
I use this site to look for CC information by States: USA Carry - Open and Concealed Carry Information and Community (http://www.usacarry.com/index.php)

PM9 Convert
10-16-2009, 07:45 PM
This may be a little off the original question, but yes - handgunlaws website is a great place to start.

You may also want to check your local Sheriff's website, bureau of investigation site for that state, and also the Attorney General's Office for the state you are in.

I mention this for travel purposes - will your CCW permit be valid via reciprocity in the State you are going to travel in or visit.

Whatever information you obtain should be printed out in triplicate so you can show the backwoods cop that pulls you over and wants to arrest you for some firearms law violation - nope - I am legal officer.

Bawanna
01-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Wow, I had no idea there were so many requirements for ccw in other states. Here in Washington, you just pay 60 bucks, good for 5 years. No test, no range, no serial numbers, carry whatever you want. The ccw allows you to buy and take possession of a gun on the spot. Non ccw holders have to wait 5 days which has to be the worst 5 days of a new gun owners life. Years ago they used to ask why you felt you needed a ccw. Most people just said self defense, or hunting when your coat covers your sidearm. When I was in line to get my first one many many many years ago I pointed to the guy in front of me and said because you gave him one. Lady said works for me. Remember like someone here mentioned it's just a law, it doesn't have to make sense.:yo:

noslolo
02-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Wow no others for the great state of PA. $39 to your local sheriff gets you an instant background check and five years of CCW. I just renewed and I spent twice as much time in the sheriffs office as last time......22mins. The first time I was blown away when it only took 11mins. Thats from closing my car door on the strret, to climbing back into my car with my new CCW photo ID. This was a huge shock from where I had lived "THE PEOPLE REPUBLIC OF MARYLAND" Where I couldn't even get one while I worked for a bail bondsman, because I had only been doing it for 9months. The state trooper told not to flush my money away because there was no chance of me getting approved by the STATE, was no refund if you were turned down.

wyntrout
04-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Wow, I had no idea there were so many requirements for ccw in other states. Here in Washington, you just pay 60 bucks, good for 5 years. No test, no range, no serial numbers, carry whatever you want. The ccw allows you to buy and take possession of a gun on the spot. Non ccw holders have to wait 5 days which has to be the worst 5 days of a new gun owners life. Years ago they used to ask why you felt you needed a ccw. Most people just said self defense, or hunting when your coat covers your sidearm. When I was in line to get my first one many many many years ago I pointed to the guy in front of me and said because you gave him one. Lady said works for me. Remember like someone here mentioned it's just a law, it doesn't have to make sense.:yo:

They have more requirements than other states up there. I wrote the AG there twice in the last 4 or 5 years about reciprocating with Florida and they said our requirements weren't stringent enough. I have kin up there and may get there again some day.
I found the email:

[Bawanna', how the heck did you get by the second part of Condition # 3??]

March 22, 2009

Jacksonville, Florida
RE: Washington Reciprocity with Florida
Dear Mr. Wynn :
On behalf of the Attorney General Robert M. McKenna, thank you for your e-mail received March 8, 2009. I am an Assistant Attorney General for the Licensing and Administrative Law Division. Your letter was forwarded to me for response. In your letter you asked why Washington and Florida still do not have reciprocity for concealed pistols and referenced our previous response to you dated July 26, 2007.
Washington’s conditions have not changed in that it cannot enter into reciprocity with any state unless all of the conditions of RCW 9.41.073 are met. Those conditions are:
1. The other state must have a reciprocal statute allowing Washington residents to carry concealed weapons in the other state if the resident has a Washington concealed pistol permit; and
2. The other state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and
3. The state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.
At this time it does not appear that Florida is required by the issuing authority to do mental health background check before issuing a concealed pistol license. However, we are in the process of reviewing Florida’s laws again to determine whether they satisfy Washington’s requirements. We will take your comments into consideration when reviewing Florida’s statutes. If Washington can enter into reciprocity with Florida we will update the information on the Attorney General’s Office website at Office of Attorney General Rob McKenna (http://www.atg.wa.gov) under Supporting Law Enforcement.
The Attorney General’s Office serves as a legal counsel to state agencies and certain elected officials and cannot, by law, provide legal advice to private citizens. It is, however, our policy to provide members of the public with information of a general nature whenever possible.
I hope this information is helpful to you.
Sincerely,

Toni M. Hood
Assistant Attorney General
AGO Licensing & Administrative Law Division
(360) 753-2702
tonih@atg.wa.gov

Wynn:rolleyes: I did this a few years ago, too.

Dang! I just checked and now Washington is on Florida's CCW Reciprocity List. They sure didn't tell me! That's nothing new, though.:)

"This list was last updated on February 25, 2010, when the State of WASHINGTON was added to the reciprocity list." Very recently!!:) Maybe I helped.

kahrseye
04-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Wow no others for the great state of PA. $39 to your local sheriff gets you an instant background check and five years of CCW. I just renewed and I spent twice as much time in the sheriffs office as last time......22mins. The first time I was blown away when it only took 11mins. Thats from closing my car door on the strret, to climbing back into my car with my new CCW photo ID. This was a huge shock from where I had lived "THE PEOPLE REPUBLIC OF MARYLAND" Where I couldn't even get one while I worked for a bail bondsman, because I had only been doing it for 9months. The state trooper told not to flush my money away because there was no chance of me getting approved by the STATE, was no refund if you were turned down.

I live in Mercer Co, PA and the renewal rate for 5 years is $30....we are lucky in PA. Interesting note; when I first got my CCW (1974) I was told I couldn't carry in Allegheny County (Pittsburgh) and Philadelphia. Apparently a few years ago, someone sued the cities/state and the law was changed on the premise that the local laws could not supercede the state laws. So now it is legal for me to carry a weapon anywhere in the great state of PA. However in Philadelphia it's still difficult for those residents to get a PA permit. So now people are taking the class to get the Utah or Florida state permits and carry legally in PA without the bs from the city of Philadelphia. This is known as the Philly loophole. I also have a permit from Utah because I live on the border of PA and OH....OH doesn't have a reciprocal agreement with PA and since I'm in OH on a weekly basis I've now solved that problem. God I wish there was a National CCW permit to avoid this malarkey. :angel:

rollingrock
04-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Oklahoma is a "shall issue" state, max that a CC instructor can charge for class is set by the state at $ 60.00, it's up to 8 hrs long, shoot 50 rounds, take a 15 question test on basic gun safety. Maxy carry caliber is .45...otherwise all is pretty good here, the Brady Bunch says Oklahoma has bad gun laws, so we must be doing something correct !!!

This is from the Oklahoma SDA law:
The applicant must:

• Request or print an application (http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/sda%20application%20Form%20and%20Brady%20Supp.pdf) ;

• Read and become knowledgeable of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act;

• Complete the required firearms safety and training class or apply for and receive an exemption from a certified gun safety instructor (http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Concealed_Weapons_Licensing/Certified_Gun_Safety_Instructors/index.html);
• GENERAL APPLICANTS-- the original certificate received from the certified firearms instructor upon completion of the required safety and training course must be included with your application;
• FIREARMS INSTRUCTOR APPLICANTS-- a copy of your certificate is acceptable;
• APPLICANTS RECEIVING A TRAINING EXEMPTION-- you must include the original exemption certificate;
• Complete the application form and attach two (2) color, passport style photographs*;

NO PERSONALLY PRINTED PHOTOGRAPHS WILL BE ACCEPTED
• Take the completed application, photographs, required fees, and the blank finger print cards found in the application packet to the Sheriff’s Office in the county where he or she resides.

*Photo service may be available at your sheriff’s office for a fee not to exceed $10.00.

jlottmc
04-13-2010, 09:17 AM
North Carolina is a shall issue state and you apply to the sheriff of your home county. 8 hour class and a 40 round minimum range test at 3,5,and 7 yds. Written test at end of class. Background check and fingerprints. Total cash outlay was $80.00 for class,[but that can vary depending on who is teaching the class] $80.00 to sheriff and $10.00 for fingerprints. I got mine in about 3 weeks.We cannot carry in an establishment that sells alcohol to be consumed on premises and that includes restaurants. I don`t drink at all and that particular law irks me a little but we are trying to get it changed. There is already a zero tolerence for alcohol if you are carrying in N.C., so if you aren`t partaking, why shouldn`t you be able to carry in a restaurant? A little odd, ain`t it?

When I got mine there, we only had to fire 30 rounds, and there was no score, just hit the paper. Also no types (i.e. TX we have semi-auto and non-semi auto, more in a bit...)

Little Dragon
04-13-2010, 09:27 AM
What is the conceled carry law in your state and what is the process to get your permit issued?

California is a "may carry" state. It is up to your local Sheriff to issue the permit. Most small rural counties are not a problem to get a Conceled Weapons Permit, but the larger counties haven't issued them in years. One county hasn't issued a single CWP in over 70 years.

Where I live you must pass a 4 hour class and qualify with the weapons you want on your permit and go through the fingerprinting process. Our Sheriff has just upped it to 4 guns on ther permit.

I was in Reno a couple of weeks ago for a gun show and learned the following. My CA CWP is not reconized in Nevada. If I take an 8 hour class in Nevada I then can get a Nevada, Utah and Florida Conceled Weapons Permit. As a non-resident of Nevada the Nevada CWP is not recognized, but the Utah CWP would allow me to carry in Nevada. How much sense does that make?

Actually that's not true, any more, Nevada does not recognize Utah's CCW anymore due to the fact that you do not have to qualify for your Utah permit (Utah is written only).
Joe

jlottmc
04-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Now for the more... in TX we have to take a training class (8-10 for the initial) at a cost of around $100 (most are all inclusive, meaning proficiency, finger prints, affidavits, and passport type photos) see Texas Department of Public Safety - Regulatory Licensing Service Concealed Handgun Licensing (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm) and navigate around that. We fire 50 rounds total at 3,7,and 15 yards, you must have a score of 175 out of 250 now to pass (they lowered it 10 points), get a federal background check (hence the fingerprints), and qualify with one of two types of firearms semi auto or non-semi auto. The funny thing about that part is that if you qualify with an SA then you may carry anything that you can conceal, but not the other way. After you pay the state their due (check the current rate on that site, I don't remember what they are) and get your new Concealed Handgun License, then you may carry a pistol any where except: Schools (though you can pick up a child) and buses etc, basically any semi, professional or scholastic sporting event, any place that derives more than 51% of it's revenue from the sale of alcoholic beverages sold for on premises consumption, posted hospitals/nursing homes, amusement parks (they have a long and SPECIFIC definition), jails, and within 1000 feet of a place of execution on the day of an execution, and any where that has a verbatim sign and size requirements. DPS actually posts it all if you can follow the link above, or just copy and paste if you're interested...