PDA

View Full Version : Anything wrong with a kit like this?

JustinN
01-15-2013, 12:43 PM
I've been wanting to get into reloading for a long time now, and I've just never made the plunge...I would like a kit like the Hornady Classic (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/749997?cm_vc=S014) but at near $300 (I can find it cheaper than that link) how bad off would I be getting something like Lee Challenger (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121744/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-kit) or Anniversary Kit (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/423081?cm_vc=S014)? If this going to cause me problems? Will it make me hate reloading? I don't mind going slowly, especially at first. IF it turns into something big for me I can look at getting a nicer setup later on...I just see $100 a lot more likely to happen soon compared to $260 or so (Brownells has the Hornady for $260, but it's backorder).

Bawanna
01-15-2013, 12:54 PM
I just looked and the RCBS kit is about the same as the Hornady.

I've never used much Lee other than factory crimp dies and the hand primer both of which I like a lot.

I can't say if the RCBS or the Hornady would be worth the extra money or not, I can say that both are what I call forever press's. They most likely will never wear out, your grand kids will be able to load on them. The other parts, powder measure and stuff are probably good enough. The scale in all these kids you'll probably want to upgrade at some point although they work OK especially early on. Once you get the measure set and running consistent you only need to check periodically anyway so it don't slow you down much.

The Hornady would be a good start for a Lock N Load progressive sometime in the future if you decide to speed up production, of course maybe starting with the Lee to get a handle on the process and then applying your money to the Lock N Load would be wise. You can easily walk one round through at a time or use it like a single stage. With that in mind starting with the Lee or going for the progressive from the get go sound no unwise.

MW surveyor
01-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Justin - The press I karmaed out was from the Anniversary Kit. Nothing at all wrong with it and it has the on press auto prime rather than the hand held primer in the Challenger Kit.

If you are going to figure on shooting a lot, you may want to check into the Lee turret (4 hole type). It is way faster for loading semi-auto rounds as well as revolver rounds. Not sure if there is a kit available but IRC there is one available. It may be a bit more money but, you do get a few more goodies. Some even come with the dies. The one you want is the cast steel not the other one with the aluminum handle.

I'm going to try and go shooting right now but will be back later to answer any questions that you might have about the Lee equipment.

JustinN
01-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Something more like http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785993/lee-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index-deluxe-kit

$100 more though....and then I could go Hornady for $60 more, and so on and so on....

The overwhelming number of choices is part of what has always deterred me in the past, lol.

TheTman
01-15-2013, 01:47 PM
I have a the single stage Lee press, and it does a great job. It's a bit slow, but also very versatile, will load pistol or rifle cartridges. It's not difficult to produce 50 rounds or more in an hour. My buddies multi stage press will do that many in about 5 minutes. If you burn through a lot of ammo, I'd probably go with a multi stage press. I haven't kept up with the reloading world much, but back in the day I was sure wanting one of the Dillon multi stage presses. http://www.dillonprecision.com/
Dillon was the hot setup to have back in 90's if you were wanting to produce large amounts of ammunition. They are a bit more expensive, but people just loved them. My friend was quite happy with his Lee multi stage press though.

MW surveyor
01-15-2013, 02:19 PM
Justin - That's the one that I have now but I bought it on it's own.

I've been trying to write more regarding the presses but have given up because every time I go to post after a long session. I tells me I'm not logged in.

Tilos
01-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Justin:
There's a lot of info and vids about all the popular equipment here:
http://ultimatereloader.com/

mostly about progressives though:o

BucketBack
01-16-2013, 05:45 AM
Lee Classic 4 hole turret, you can remove the indexer and use it as a single stage.Then when you get comfy, index away.

rago
01-16-2013, 06:50 AM
if you are not in a hurry to load massive amounts of ammo lee challenger kit is good . that's the one i have works great low cost and any where between 50 to 75 per hour, but then i am retired, so whats the hurry. i have already recouped my investment the first year on this loader. i like it and as of now have no plans to change, its working for me.

JustinN
01-16-2013, 02:22 PM
After watching some videos on ultimatereloader a turret press may be the way to go...

This seems cheap - http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Turret-Deluxe-Press-Value/dp/B00162PT16

I notice it is not the deluxe version (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785993/lee-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index-deluxe-kit) but it's $85 cheaper and in stock....again, Decisions!!!!

With the profit off my AR, I think it's finally time for me to spend the cash and get a reloading setup, to compliment whatever new gun(s) I end up getting.

BucketBack
01-17-2013, 06:04 AM
The "Classic" version is heavier duty, but I'm using an older 3 hole non-classic and it works just fine.

muggsy
01-17-2013, 07:00 AM
I have to caution you that you won't save money by reloading. That's an old wives tale. You will however shoot a whole lot more for a whole lot less. You only save money when you don't spend it, but that ain't nearly as much fun. Words of wisdom from Muggsy. :)

JustinN
01-17-2013, 07:06 AM
I have to caution you that you won't save money by reloading. That's an old wives tale. You will however shoot a whole lot more for a whole lot less. You only save money when you don't spend it, but that ain't nearly as much fun. Words of wisdom from Muggsy. :)

Thanks, though I kind of new this. I was more wanting it as a hobby and a way to "cut out the middle man" when it comes to shooting.

MW surveyor
01-17-2013, 09:59 AM
You can save money reloading.

But only if you shoot the same amount you do now!

Bawanna
01-17-2013, 10:06 AM
I think of it as a hobby and a great way to play with your toys when your not at the range.

You can look at it from a challenge stand point as well and try to meet or beat factory ammo for accuracy or performance. Although of late it's a real challenge. Factory is pretty darn good.

Right now I find it comforting to be able to roll my own. I just checked and Precision Delta still shows bullets in stock ready to ship. I was shocked. I may order another couple thousand and I'll feel even better.

Melissa, bless her little pea picken heart sent me about 500 or so and I ordered 2000 around Christmas and my son got me a couple hundred more so I'm pretty ok but another 2000 would be sweet.
I found a stash of primers I forgot about so things are way more better than they were a month ago, that's for sure.

wyntrout
01-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Before I bailed on reloading about a decade ago, I had a Lee Turret press AND the single stage cheapie. The turret plates for each gauge make switching calibers easy and the single-stage made single operations like depriming or whatever much easier without having to readjust the turret press. I liked the RCBS auto-hand primer and inspected each primer visually and by touch. I also loaded powder one two-line tray of cases at a time, visually inspecting the tray before going on the the turret press. I made my own reloading trays using 2"x4"s sawn in half lengthwise and drilled with a half-inch bit on a drill press.

I didn't especially want a progressive press... just not have to change everything minutely for each load or caliber. I always wanted the Dillon progressive setups for one caliber, though. I was pretty "anal" about safety and precision,AND never had a squib or kaboom. I still wouldn't carry my ammo for CCW, though.

I have some 9mm Double Tap GD's that I noticed poor primer seating on... dished or deformed a bit. I put those aside and shot them at the range. I tested all of those visually AND with touch... you can feel a primer's depth and tell if it's too deep, or more likely not seated deeply enough.

Wynn:)

otium
01-17-2013, 11:28 AM
The hobby aspect of reloading is good thing. I find it mostly a frustration free event and sure beats watching most prime-time tv.

I started with a single stage press from rcbs and later a dillon 550. I still use both. The dillon for the pistol rounds and the rcbs for my hand weighed powder for rifle rounds in which I don't require several hundred at a time. I currently don't load for the 5.56 caliber, but I suspect if I did it would probably be on the dillon as that would be a round I probably shoot more in a single outing than my bolt actions.

My biggest frustration with reloading at this point comes when the component shortages that pop up every 4 years. I've learned to keep enough on hand to get through those periods, but the last 4 years was especially difficult (and still is), especially in the small pistol and rifle primers. I believe that maybe due to the massive DHS ammo purchases made in the last few years, (I still wonder if that was the plan to create shortages or is something more nefarious in the works), plus the manufacturers were also having to supply our soldiers in two wars.

I do hope these shortages will subside at some point so that new reloaders like yourself can begin to enjoy this hobby.

Oh and the saving money part, yeah the cost per round is certainly cheaper via reloading your own instead of buying from the store. Certainly an argue point in your favor if you need to obtain gain the spouse's approval to spend the money...

Now once you spent the cash and actually start reloading, will you save anything in the long run or just end up shooting more? This question is yours alone to answer.

Bawanna
01-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Well once again I acted a bit slow. I just checked at Precision Delta thinking I'd order another 2000 45 boolits.

Now on back order and shipping is backed up 4 to 6 weeks on most everything, obviously busy. They are accepting back orders and won't charge the card till they ship.

I'll probably wait till they catch up if ever and then order some more.

They did have 40 and 9 still in stock but who knows for how long.

Also had lead but our indoor ranges don't allow lead anymore, never cared much for it anyhow and not that much cheaper than their FMJ's really.

JustinN
01-31-2013, 07:08 PM
I think because of availability, I'm going to go ahead and order this press (http://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-presses/reloading-press-kits-amp-accessories/lee-50th-anniversary-challenger-kit-sku100010149-54177-103485.aspx)

I know I will need the actual reloading supplies (bullets, powder, primers, cases), but what else is needed? I know a will need die sets (I'm guessing the 3 die sets) for the caliber I want to reload, a reloading manual, and what else to get started?

RRP
01-31-2013, 07:18 PM
I've been trying to write more regarding the presses but have given up because every time I go to post after a long session. I tells me I'm not logged in.

That's no fun. It can usually be avoided by checking the "Remember Me" box upon login.

mr surveyor
01-31-2013, 07:23 PM
chamfer/deburring tool, primer pocket tool, kinetic bullet puller, micrometer, and I would suggest a better scale than the Lee Safety Scale. Then, whatever means you want for cleaning brass....tumbler or ultra-sonic (I much prefer the ultra-sonic, but I don't care about mirror polished - just totally clean). Maybe a brass trimmer if you get into rifle brass, or really hot loaded revolver brass.

There's gonna be a lot of little odds and ends you discover you just can't live without, I can assure you. And I've only been addicted for 2 years.

surv

Ikeo74
01-31-2013, 07:23 PM
I think because of availability, I'm going to go ahead and order this press (http://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-presses/reloading-press-kits-amp-accessories/lee-50th-anniversary-challenger-kit-sku100010149-54177-103485.aspx)

I know I will need the actual reloading supplies (bullets, powder, primers, cases), but what else is needed? I know a will need die sets (I'm guessing the 3 die sets) for the caliber I want to reload, a reloading manual, and what else to get started?
Justin, I AM going to jump in here with my recommendation. The Hornady press set. Did you notice there is a rebate available with it? 500 FREE BULLETS, that is an $80 value at todays prices. Plus you will be getting a better press, a reloading manual, a better powder measurer, (lee measurer sucks), a better scale and a lifetime press that will not need to be upgraded.:israel: Hornady Classic (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/749997?cm_vc=S014)

JustinN
01-31-2013, 09:57 PM
I hadn't seen the rebate....I may just go with that hornady set...

I plan on .243 being one of my main reloads, along with 9mm, .38/357, and MAYBE 30-06 (I don't know if I shoot enough of it to justify it.)

AIRret
02-01-2013, 01:30 AM
We haven't been reloading long, but we like our hornady ammo. plant.

downtownv
02-01-2013, 02:08 AM

With todays ridiculous ammo pricing and limited availability I completely disagree.
I get range brass from my club my costs per round is :
.45=.19
.40=.17
9mm=.11
I find it rhythmic and relaxing
I use a Dillon Square deal B

I shoot NO more than normal and have built a 1000-2500 round cushion of extra ammo per caliper.

Justin remember there's more costs than just the press. Media separators/tumblers, caliper gauge, turning plates and on and on....
I could have bought another gun for what I wound up investing. But the bullets would STILL have to be acquired, right?

Scrambler
02-01-2013, 02:49 AM
Check out http://shootandreload.com . Some good info on there.

Dirt doc
02-01-2013, 06:36 AM
I have used Lee a lot and their products work fine. However, I do not like the scale I got in a Lee kit. The scale is critical to reload safely so I bought an RCBS balance and eventually a hornady electronic scale/powder feed. I recently bought a hornady progressive loader. It seems very well made and does what it is supposed to.

Harrylee
02-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Hey Just for whats it worth I've been reloading for about 21 years now.I like having guns that I can run lead rounds out of, alot cheaper but lead bullets started to add up pretty fast too.So I decided to go the next step and started to cast my own bullets.right now I do 9mm 38spl 45acp.I hooked up with a few service stations and melt down wheel weights.Break down, primer .04 each powder .015 that's 5 1/2each and 2.79 a box for 9mm 38spl 45acp.I did alot of shooting last year probably around six thousand rounds. I have a Dillon Square Deal B but that's only good for hand guns,but that's what I'm into.Just try to pick the best press you can afford other wise you end up buying twice.Hope you get into it, it's satisfying to make you own ammo

Ram48
02-01-2013, 01:31 PM
I've been wanting to get into reloading for a long time now, and I've just never made the plunge...I would like a kit like the Hornady Classic (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/749997?cm_vc=S014) but at near $300 (I can find it cheaper than that link) how bad off would I be getting something like Lee Challenger (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121744/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-kit) or Anniversary Kit (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/423081?cm_vc=S014)? If this going to cause me problems? Will it make me hate reloading? I don't mind going slowly, especially at first. IF it turns into something big for me I can look at getting a nicer setup later on...I just see $100 a lot more likely to happen soon compared to $260 or so (Brownells has the Hornady for $260, but it's backorder).

I first bought the Lee turret press this past June when I started reloading. I had issues with the auto primerand decided to go with the RCBS turret and am glad I did. I got mine from Precision reloading and they took back the lee sent the RCBS and all I did was pay the difference.
Good company and had the best prices when I shopped.

JustinN
02-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Just ordered the Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit, shell holders to fit 9mm and .243 and dies for both 243 and 9mm. With the Rebate thing, I'll be getting 700 free bullets!

Also get a package of Die bushings. I should be all set....now to find primers, powder, bullets, and more brass. .243 brass will come easy, but 9mm....got to have bullets to get the brass. I'll have a couple hundred rounds of it, but not nearly enough for my K9 AND PX4 once it comes in.

Bawanna
02-02-2013, 01:34 PM
I'm a day late. I routed through my stuff and found a near virgin set of 9mm carbide dies and an old but good condition set of 243 dies.
I never loaded 9, acquired the dies through a friend that didn't need them anymore.
Might be smart to hang onto them the way things are. Might have to supplement someday.
I'll route around and see what I got for 9mm brass. Probably got some 243 too. No longer have the rifle.

JustinN
02-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I got excited and threw them in the cart. They do fall under the rebate and would each glean 100 bullets....BUT they are back ordered, so it would be possible to cancel those items...but like you said, I think it might be good to hang on to them. You never know what you might end up reloading someday.....especially if Jocko gets me talked out of my Savage he might be bumming bullets off you....

JustinN
02-03-2013, 05:40 PM
The Bass Pro in Branson had small pistol primers (it's the only reloading supply they had). I got 500 of them, now to order some brass & bullets and find some powder and I'll be in business. Gonna place on order with precision delta tomorrow. My local BP had several jugs of powder, but not sure which ones/what kinds.

JustinN
02-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Picked up some Winchester 231 powder today.....as soon as my press ships (UGH! Backordered to 2/4 but that changed today to 3/20!!) I will be ready to get started loading. Still need to get some brass and bullets, but precision delta should be able to hook me up. I'm excited to get my free 700 bullets from Hornady for buying the press and two sets of dies....really nice rebate.

tv_racin_fan
02-05-2013, 11:09 PM
Justin hit me with an address and I'll send ya some 9mm brass. It will be mostly my shot once brass from my range trips. I have way more than I need and I can always pick up more.

JustinN
02-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Woe is me!!!! The Press kit at midway is now backordered until.....05/05!!!!!

How am I going to wait that long?!

Bawanna
02-08-2013, 10:10 AM
I did not see that coming. Maybe there will be a market for outrageously over priced reloading equipment too?

Midway isn't the only game in town though, look around.

JustinN
02-08-2013, 10:17 AM
I have, in fact Harrylee found me a couple places with them already...but $30 more, and they don't have the dies and shell holders (which midway does, but back ordered until 5/5)....kind of one of those things, I'll wait if it saves me money...plus the press without dies won't do me much good....