PDA

View Full Version : Impulse buy and new to Kahr!

KKing
01-21-2013, 12:32 AM
Slight backstory...I've been looking for a new carry weapon, to replace my Kel-tec PF9 (I know I know :eek:). So my fiancé tells me she'll get me one for my birthday next month. Well, I had shopped for a few with the two I was most comfortable with price-wise being the S&W Shield and Ruger SR9C, never even considered Kahr (not that I had anything against Kahr, I just wasn't familiar). As we all know, it's a hard time right now to be a gun buyer, unless you just want a gun, any gun will do kinda thing. Turns out my local gun shop had a CM9 in the case so I asked the owner what he thought about Kahr, (we've became good friends through my many purchases there and I trust him). "Fine firearms" he said with a smile, I picked it up and was sold. There it is, my Kahr story. I've never felt better about a weapon purchase as I do about this one after firing it today. After I put ~200 rounds through it and a more acquainted with the breakdown it'll become my main carry. Best part of all, early birthday present! Sorry for the novel guys!

Scoundrel
01-21-2013, 12:39 AM
Welcome!

What's wrong with the PF-9? I mean, other than the fact that you can see through the gap between the slide and the frame, and it's uncomfortable to shoot? It's a fine self defense weapon when you don't have anything else. :) I keep one around as a backup.

When looking for a compact 9mm, I didn't know anything about Kahr either. A friend told me about the PM9. I found one at a shooting range and rented it, and some other small 9mm pistols. I liked the PM9 a lot. But I didn't like the price. That's when I learned about the CM9 and ordered one up.

You got yourself a good gun.

One thing to know, though: Kahrs have tight tolerances and a good initial cleaning and lubing will go a long way toward making sure you have a really good experience with it. Check out these threads:

Kahr Lube Diaghram
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14750

Proper prep of a new kahr
http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521

Don't let the precision and attention to detail in those threads scare you though. For simplicity, just take it apart, give it a good cleaning and lube it lightly all over, put it back together (make sure you get the slide stop pin through the barrel lug), and enjoy!

KKing
01-21-2013, 05:43 AM
I suppose I went a little far with the :eek:. I have a rule about any firearm I own now, one I didn't have when I bought the PF9....they have to be fun to shoot. Like you said, to even get enough practice in with that weapon to feel comfortable carrying it, I was miserable shooting it that much. It's difficult to be accurate with a follow up shot with it for me for sure. I will keep it though and may wear it on my ankle as a backup at times.

Thanks for the links man, since breaking my weapons down for a good cleaning is one of my favorite parts of being into guns I'm looking forward to it

7shot
01-21-2013, 08:27 AM
Congrats on your new CM9! Kahr makes a great CC pistol, you won't be disappointed. I have nothing but praise with my K9! Enjoy and keep it maintained and she'll never let you down.

JFootin
01-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Welcome to the forum, KKing! :) There is a wealth of valuable information in the New Member Area (http://kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56) and the Kahr-Tech (http://kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27) sections of the forum.

And welcome to the CM9 Owners Club! :D Our official symbol is the wide grin smily because we are so happy with our purchase that we can't wipe the smiles off our faces!

Here is your club badge.
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/Smilies/BigSmily.jpg

KKing
01-21-2013, 08:39 AM
Haha thanks fellas. I can honestly say that aside from a mag extension for my pinky and possibly some grips in the future, there's nothing I'd change about this little gun. Trust me, I've never said that about any weapon I've bought. I'm new to Kahr but not guns in general and I look forward to learning all that I can and passing on any knowledge I can contribute to the site

wyntrout
01-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Don't forget to watch the Kahr Take Down video. It can save you grief on incorrect re-assembly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G2cZgVg_SwA

Wynn:)

Flincher
01-21-2013, 09:55 AM
Welcome to the forum. You'll find the Kahr to be a whole new level of excellence in all aspects than most of its competitors. I also found out by trial and error.

Mike Brownhouse
01-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Very cool. It's funny, there are almost no new products that I like or would buy. I'm more of an old-world guy, born at least a few decades too late. Most of my purchases are used items. It was a lot of fun to buy a CM40, a new product that's not only passable, but actually very impressive to me. It was a strange and luxurious experience ha ha. I hope you enjoy your new CM as much as I have so far.

Geobob
01-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Hello, KKing, and welcome from Missouri to a really great forum. Good people and info here!

Take care, and best wishes to you and yours!

phil413tx
01-21-2013, 10:47 PM
Welcome KKing. The more you shoot that CM9, the more you will love it. Then you will star to get curious about other Kahr models.

KKing
01-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Just finished breakdown/cleaning/lubing/reassembly for the first time, man was that easy. I didn't do anything to it before our first day shooting it (I know shame on me), but I like to see how they act out of the box. I love the fact that I could disassemble this at the range/field in a matter of seconds, and with NO TOOLS! Simply awesome

JustinN
01-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Just wait until you ever get a hold of a K9.....

KKing
01-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Just wait until you ever get a hold of a K9.....

Do tell..

JustinN
01-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Kahr's are nice pistols, I will not argue that at all, but if you ever get a hold of the K9, their steel framed 9mm....OMG. SUPER SUPER SUPER nice looking gun. I threw wooden grips on mine and its just about as pretty as any gun I've ever seen, on top of the fact I can shoot circles around full sized guns with it.

In the K sub forum, I have a thread about my new one. You can see before wood and after wood pics. It is an amazing little gun. The Poly's are lighter for carrying, but you can't beat the steel guns for looks and the way they shoot....