PDA

View Full Version : Remington Bonded Golden Saber 230-gr .45 ACP

wyntrout
03-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Well, I finally got my wayward Remington Bonded Golden Saber Bonded 230-gr .45 ACP ammo from MAH.
Golden Saber Bonded 230 gr 45 acp 50 rds LE box (http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=hotpig27&ct=65202&pd=303261)

$34.45 per box of 50..."LE version".

The Rem. Golden Saber is well-rated, but lacks in penetration through barriers and heavy clothing... the "Bonded" fixes that!

Qty Unit Cost Extended Cost
1 137.80 137.80
SUBTOTAL: $137.80
SHIPPING: $13.06

TOTAL: $150.86

I'm going to the range... will get pix and compare this with standard GS 230-gr and Rem. UPC. + Blazers and Wolf... maybe get pix of SMOKE from Wolf ammo.

Wynn:D

Bawanna
03-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Remember your gas mask this time. Remember last time you about aphyixiated yourself. Plus you had all the tribes in the nation all stirred up and converging on your location. Bad medicine me thinks.

wyntrout
03-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Well, I'm about ready to go. I had to eat something and pack some drinks and emergency sugar rations for my diabetes II.
I found some of my old USAF flying gloves and cut the fingers and thumb off, leaving enough to cushion my hand a little and allowing me to reload with my UpLula without having to take the glove off. I hope they don't unravel any before I get a chance to stitch around the thread seams to keep them from unraveling. I'm the seamster(?), too... not the seamstress.
Monsieur Silhouette has one more trip to the range before retiring... posthumously. My coup de papier is healed and I hope there's no scar. There is maybe a scab there, but I'm not going to risk tearing that open before going to the range!
Just the PM45 today with 5 kinds of ammo. Later.

wyntrout
03-30-2010, 01:48 AM
I went to the range today to try a bunch of new ammo and test the Remington 230-grain Bonded Golden Saber ammo that came in today.

I started off with the regular GS 230-grain in my magazines... 24 rounds of that. I ran the camera in High Def 1280 by 720 mode at 30 frames per second. Note to self: stop the camera while loading magazines and patching the target. I ran out space on my 8 GB memory card. I deleted all the old photos and was able to get all but the Wolf ammo recorded. I only had one card with me.
Pix of the ammo and target follow, and I see plenty of stills of the end section or tip of my trigger finger all the way through the trigger guard. When I really think about it and squeeze the trigger with just the pad of the tip of the finger on the trigger, I get a hole right where I wanted it in the target, but I shoot faster than that and get sloppy. Still, I shoot the PM45 much better than the PM9.
The range had better lighting than when I did the first flash tests, but you can compare them.
The bonded bullets have a little red dot that I put on the bases of two boxes so I could tell the bonded and normal apart... before I noticed that the primer sealer on the the bonded ones is green and clear on the regular GS.

wyntrout
03-30-2010, 01:53 AM
First pix of Golden Sabers carried in mags: 2 x 5-shot, 1 x 6-shot, and 1 x 7-shot. Sometimes I show just before firing, the flash, and recoil.
The Remington 230-gr GS:

First 5+1 shot at 7 yards or so with all in the head, 5 on the "1" of the 10.

As you see the flashes, notice some of the sh!t coming out of the ejection port and sometimes out the back... seemingly!!:eek: Wear eye protection and a cap for those wayward cases... some from your neighbors! My Kahr cap is nice protection and I had quite a few things tossed my way by the adjacent shooters.:D

wyntrout
03-30-2010, 01:54 AM
The BONDED Remington GS 230-gr:

Note fingertip in #1. Look at #4... WTF!

wyntrout
03-30-2010, 02:00 AM
The Remington UMC 230-grain FMJ... bright stuff:

wyntrout
03-30-2010, 02:03 AM
The PMC Blazer 230-grain FMJ, aluminum cases. It, too, is pretty bright:

wyntrout
03-30-2010, 02:32 AM
I ran out of card memory, so again I didn't capture the flashes and smoke of the Wolf 230-grain FMJ. It's real smokey and stinks!:eek: I couldn't wait to clean the gun and get rid of the stink... gag!:eek:

I fired 24 GS, 50 BGS, 50 UMC, 50 Blazer, and 50 Wolf without cleaning the gun.
I had a couple of FT feed shooting with my unsupported weak hand... very weak and limp... so no problem. No ejected cases came back at me.:)

By the time I got to the Wolf, I started having a few failures to go fully into battery and a few light strikes. Those bullets shot the second attempt. Hey the gun was getting dirty, especially with the Wolf and those were the only problems really. I have two hundred rounds of Wolf left... I will try to shoot it up a box at a time at the end of each range trip. I did apologize to the guys either side of me for the cloud of smoke and the stink!:rolleyes:
That stuff should only be shot outdoors!

I was pleased with the gun and the ammo's performance. I had absolutely no problems with either of the Golden Sabers, the Rem. UMC, or the Blazers. If I had started with the Wolf ammo, it might have been a different story, but I want to bail after shooting that $#!+!

The defense ammo had less flash, but more of those "artifacts" like lightning or sparks. It's amazing some of the stuff that seems to fly out of places besides the muzzle! It looks like the gun is exploding sometimes!:p

I think that my PM45 is up to about 650 rounds... not sure. I love shooting it and the glove worked okay. I didn't start using it right away and don't think that I really needed it.

I felt bad about leaving the stepchild PM9 at home, but I had a lot of .45 ammo to shoot and test. Shooting the Wolf ammo at the point you should quit is a good idea. I didn't even think about shooting the rest of the ammo I had with me -- another box of the bonded... anyhow, kind of wasteful for SD ammo.

Questions?

kramm
03-30-2010, 10:55 PM
What a great report! I'm going to have to try some GS. I also use a glove when shooting. I use a fingerless glove that I wear when riding motorcycle. You can pick them up at any motorcycle shop. Some even have alittle padding in the palm.:typing:

PaiN
03-31-2010, 05:06 AM
Nice post wyn, thanks for all the effort.
I love GS, it is the SD(9mm, 124g) load I'm carrying in my P9. If (when) I get a .45, I'll have to round up some of this bonded ammo for it.

wyntrout
04-01-2010, 01:26 AM
I like doing the tests and pulling stills from the video. The flashes can be spectacular sometimes. One of these days I'll capture the Wolf ammo as well. I would like to see the flashes and smoke... hmmmm... maybe a clothespin for my nose... nah, then I'd have to taste it... yuck!
Wolff springs -- good.:) Wolf ammo -- bad!:p
I love shooting the PM45, too.