PDA

View Full Version : Reloading noob

megamanfan
02-05-2013, 04:16 PM
I am thinking about starting to reload ammo and am trying to figure out what my initial outlay would be. I was looking at this:http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Anniversary-Challenger-Kit/dp/B00162RM3E/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1360105614&sr=1-1&keywords=lee+anniversary
My questions is will I need anything else (equipment wise) to get started (I am on a tight budget so I only want the necessities)?

Bawanna
02-05-2013, 04:20 PM
You might read this thread, similar in nature.
http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16819

Looking at the kit, I see everything you need except dies, a caliper, powder, primers, and bullets.

It will get you in the game. You may someday wish to upgrade components like a digital scale although there's nothing wrong with the balance beam. Once your measure is set properly you only double check periodically.

FireMoose
02-05-2013, 04:26 PM
I'd spend the slight bit more on a Lee classic. Turret kit. Especially if you will be loading for handguns.

Sent from my CZ85 Combat

mr surveyor
02-05-2013, 04:35 PM
still gonna need a kinetic bullet pulling hammer, a chamfer/deburring tool, primer pocket tool, and 2-3 manuals, and probably a few other items along the way. Be sure and get carbide dies for all the handgun stuff, and be sure to have good case lube on hand if you're doing bottle necked stuff.

Might also consider how you're gonna keep your brass clean enough to work with too, tumbler or ultra-sonic

I could think up more ways to spend your money, if given a few more minutes

downtownv
02-05-2013, 06:06 PM
still gonna need a kinetic bullet pulling hammer, a chamfer/deburring tool, primer pocket tool, and 2-3 manuals, and probably a few other items along the way. Be sure and get carbide dies for all the handgun stuff, and be sure to have good case lube on hand if you're doing bottle necked stuff.

Might also consider how you're gonna keep your brass clean enough to work with too, tumbler or ultra-sonic

I could think up more ways to spend your money, if given a few more minutes
yea like:
media sorter, caliper, scale, bins for various sorted stuff, buckets for brass lighting,a bench, a cabinet (lockable to store your high valued and hard to come by finished ammo.) 2 tumblers- one for cleaning walnut media one for polishing Corn media. Figure about a grand to get started PLUS the cost of the supplies bullets primers and gun powder!
Any one tells you they can do it less is kidding you and themselves!:p

mr surveyor
02-05-2013, 07:09 PM
well....I'm doing it for a lot less, but I don't make "production runs" either.

MW surveyor
02-05-2013, 08:18 PM
You will absolutely need:
A reloading manual!
Caliper - dial is the way to go (for me) unless you can find a cheap digital from Harbor Freight.
Scale - the scale in the kit works well just fiddly. You don't have to get another right away.
Got to have dies in the calibers that you want to load. buy the 4 die sets for pistol.
Primers
Bullets

You want to not spend a lot of money so here are some ways to do it:
Cleaning brass - Bucket of water and some Lemon Shine and detergent
Storage boxes - Dollar Store, zip lock bags, lunch meat containers, etc.
Media sifter - You'll need something if you buy and use a tumbler or vibratory cleaner - Dollar Store plastic colander - That's what I use and does the job.
Vibratory cleaner - if you want you only need to buy one.
Media - Pet's Mart or Petco - Lizard bedding (walnut shells) they also have crushed corn cob ( a ten pound bag last a long time, I'm still on my first bag after three years)

You do not need a bullet puller right away unless you screw up a whole bunch of rounds.
The chamfer/deburring tool comes with the kit.
Primer pocket cleaning tool comes with the kit. (I've used mine I think about 3 times)

I've got way less than $600 in my set up even with replacing the scale that came with the kit and going to the Lee turret and I've got the receipts to prove it!