PDA

View Full Version : Malfunction drills, live fire

jeep45238
03-31-2010, 07:16 PM
This really only applies to those that reload. Every gun has a powder charge that will generally cycle the slide - sometimes eject the brass - sometimes not - sometimes it feeds, etc.

Basically, it's the charge level that most people want to avoid like hell because of all the problems it creates. Stovepipes, double feeds, failure to feed, failure to eject, empty brass in the chamber simulating failure to fire - nightmares.

I took the last 300 bullets I had and put it right at that charge for my 1911, and took about 2 hours to run through those 300 with a shot timer to clear whatever randomized malfunction came my way. It was excellent for me - I had no idea what malfunction was coming my way, and I had to problem solve, and do it quickly. It's also sobering as hell seeing the shot timer telling you how slow you really are - especially when you're doing your best to work with the gun muzzle downrange up by your head, so you can see what's going on around you. That malfunction that was easy to clear if you hunched over to gain leverage suddenly isn't so easy.

Anyways, instead of focusing on the gun like a lot of folks do, I try to focus on my hands. Where they move, how fast they move, how they move, what they react to, how they index to my gear and my gun, etc.. I can't take pictures at the range due to my camera being held together with a bolt - hillbilly, but it works good enough.

So, here's the aftermath of a few hours of malfunction clearance drills, and what they'll do to your hands.

Circles are blisters.

Lines are calluses I've built up from shooting pistols.

Squares are chunks of missing skin - some were bleeding, stopped it before the pics was taken.

Squiggly looking circle is a slowly forming bruise from slamming mags in at full speed without taking a break.

I have no idea how I got some of these, but they're there. I'm right handed to give a frame of reference.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/Hands/DSCN0845.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/Hands/DSCN0844.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/Hands/DSCN0847.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/Hands/DSCN0848.jpg

wyntrout
04-01-2010, 01:35 AM
Ya know, they take the skin from skinny little animals and stitch them together (with some kinda cloth, sometimes) into clothes for your hands to keep that stuff from happening... I think they call'em gloves... or do you just like pain?:eek:
Wynn:behindsofa::D

jeep45238
04-01-2010, 03:54 AM
Ya know, they take the skin from skinny little animals and stitch them together (with some kinda cloth, sometimes) into clothes for your hands to keep that stuff from happening... I think they call'em gloves... or do you just like pain?:eek:

Doesn't hurt :001_huh: Besides, I don't walk around in my daily life with gloves on, so I'm not going to practice with gloves on :)

wyntrout
04-01-2010, 07:56 AM
I understand that, but when you're doing something with that many repetitions, that isn't realistic, either. Practicing with light gloves and then having to do the real thing without the gloves should make it easier.
The other day at the range I shot a few magazines and then put on the glove, though I felt no discomfort, but shooting several hundred might have left me with more than joy... and choking from the Wolf smoke.:eek:
Dang! I'm not a believer in the "No pain, no gain" thing.
I get enough scrapes, scratches and cuts without trying too hard, and I like to avoid a few when I can.
I just got an answer from Ian at Kahr about my P380, so I'll attend to that.
Wynn:D

jeep45238
04-01-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm not quite a believer in no pain, no gain, but gloves get in the way for me big time, so I don't train with them.

Like I said, outside of the palm, which is almost gone now, no pain. The brick wall from last night that I punched for stress relief and to calm myself down (I was about to kill this kid in my math class) - well, knuckles are a little bit sore still ;)

jeep45238
04-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Good thing I wear glasses then :nerd: