PDA

View Full Version : Comments on my new CW9

Rain
02-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Hello,

I joined the forum several weeks ago but haven't been posting, waiting to get my new Kahr.

I picked up a CW9 last Thursday and have been familiarizing myself with it. I will get to the range tomorrow to put some rounds through it.

I'd like to share a few thoughts on the fit and finish of the pistol, but first a disclaimer: I can be VERY "picky"! I was a Director of Quality for an Aerospace company for many years. I have also worked as a Quality Engineer for Aerospace companies. I am a journeyman machinist and have spent many years managing machine shops, which is my current job.

Upon first inspection the pistol looks and feels "substantial". There is nothing wimpy or shoddy about it. It is very businesslike. All parts fit exceptionally well. I found two minor issues, barely worthy of mention.

1) The edge of the polymer where it meets steel at the back of the slide protruded several thousandths of an inch and had a sharp edge. A few minutes with a sharp pocket knife and some 400 grit sandpaper and it is smooth as silk.
2) The small steel S/N plate on the polymer frame in front of the trigger guard has a sharp edge and feels rough to the touch. There is really no reason to touch it there, so I intend to just leave it alone. I wouldn't want to sand on it for fear of making it appear that someone had tried to change or remove the S/N.

I'm anxious to see how it shoots. I have never owned a semi-automatic pistol, always had revolvers, .22 magnum (H&R and High Standard) and .357 magnum (S&W). I did own one .38 (S&W) for a few years.

I look forward to learning a lot from the folks on this forum.

Be safe.

Rain

Yogi 117
02-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Rain, welcome from down Oregon way. Sounds like you've done your research, so I am anticipating a good day at the range. I over did the prep of my CM9, but on my first range trip, I shot 200 FJM's & 50 JHP's without a single malfunction of any kind! You're going to love the CW9, it's a great pistol. Good luck at the range, look forward to hearing your results. :D

nuke
02-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the forum from sunny Florida. Be sure to do the pre-range prep described in the stickies.

Flincher
02-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Welcome to the forum from balmy North Dakota

Booker T
02-10-2013, 08:57 PM
I don't have the CW9, ( have the CM9 and CW45 ) , but just about everyone I see post on them absolutely love them.

Don't forget to give us a range report once you've had a chance to blow the lube out of it.

Rain
02-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Well, I am duly impressed! The CW9 is a quality piece of hardware! I only put 70 rounds through it, but no FTEs or FTFs. It did fail to chamber the last round in the magazine on two occasions, but both times it was the cheap Blazer ammo.

I really appreciate the trigger; VERY smooth. I've heard others complain of the length of pull, but being accustomed to revolvers, it was great! Accuracy was excellent. We were shooting pie plates at 15 yards. I'm not a particularly good shot, but was keeping them on the plates most of the time. I used a rest for one magazine and created a jagged hole at 11:00 on the plate with one "flyer" from the group near dead center. Wonder it the sights are slightly off or could I have caused the 11:00 tendency even while using the rest? Regardless, I'm very pleased.

I got to shoot my buddy's Kimbers, a Solo 9mm (not impressed, I couldn't find the plate with it, nor could he) and an Ultra Carry II 45. The 45 is VERY nice, Jim was consistently shooting tight groups, about 1.5" after the first couple of magazines.

He also brought a Beretta, Px4 Storm Sub-Compact 40. That thing is awesome! I felt comfortable with it right from the start. That may be my next firearm purchase!

I put 12 rounds through the ol' 357. Still kicks like a mule, but gotta love it!

Oh, and we shot a little 22 Davis Derringer that I've owned for about 20 years and never shot before. Jim actually hit the plate with it once! My 30 year old Remington 22 ammo (purchased for .99/box of 50) is still good.

It was great to get back to the range; it has been many years.

wyntrout
02-11-2013, 12:46 AM
Welcome to the forum, Rain. The manual is a good start, but the take down video really goes over some "problem areas" sort of unique to the Kahrs, especially the slide lock pin insertion and the slide lock spring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=G2cZgVg_SwA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G2cZgVg_SwA)

Wynn:)

Rain
02-11-2013, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the tip! I've watched every video I can find on line and had it apart several times. I don't have much to compare it to, but so far it seems very easy.

ParrotHead
02-12-2013, 06:59 AM
I ordered one last week...haven't received it yet. Hope mine runs as flawlessly!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/W_PRAY122.gif

MW surveyor
02-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Rain - I shoot all my revolvers (with the exception of my Single Six :) ) DA mode only. Since the revolvers and my CW9 have about the same trigger pull, get plenty of DA practice in. Since you're coming from shooting revolvers, you should have no problems with the CW9 in getting tight groups after a little bit more practice.