PDA

View Full Version : Hi, TP 45 trigger reset issues.

GKILLMAN
02-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Hi guys and gals.

Just Bought my first pistol the tp 45.. I went to the range today and fired it right out of the box.

It was perfect for about 30 rounds. Then it started having this issue where
You put in a new magazine.. chamber one and get it ready to go.. You fire the fisrt round and thats fine.. It ejects the old casing but the trigger doesnt reset.

I would take the mag out clear the round in the chamber and then rack or cock the pistol whatever the term is and it would fire the one round but then same issue trigger wouldnt reset.

After about 75 rounds. I left the last 20 were like that every round it got gradually worse from about the 30th round.. I went home removed the slide and the barrel and cleaned everything and lightly reoiled the whole gun. Going to try and do some more shooting tomorrow and see if i still have this issue..

Is this a common issue? I was expecting it to get better with more rounds fired I understand I am not to the recomended break in point yet.
Its just kind of upsetting since its brand new.

Any advice for a new owner?

Thanks
Glenn

jocko
02-11-2013, 05:36 PM
DID U CLEAN THE GUN THROUGHLY??? RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. that striker channel could be full of crude, who knows. Give the gun a throgh cleaning per the kahr propper prepping thread and then retest again

what did u clean now that u cleaned it. did u take the slide apart and give that striker channel a good cleaning or did u use that little clean out hole in thebottom of the slide to spray clean that striker channel. if u just wiped the outsde ofthe slide then IMO u did not clean the slide .

u can dry fire that gun and do no harm u can just move the sldie back about a 1/2"to reset the trigger to test out if u did OK with ur cleaning session.

U arefully lettingup o the trigger also are u??? just asking..:Amflag2:

white08gt
02-11-2013, 05:36 PM
did you follow the clean and lube directions on here first? must do this first before you fire.

GKILLMAN
02-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Thanks I found that and no i didnt do everything in that thread.

I will tomorrow after work..

I hope that it helps thanks.

Glenn

jocko
02-11-2013, 06:03 PM
by doing allof that u have prepped the gun to the best of ur abilities. If it continues to ack u. cme back to this forum with ur finding and lets see what some utters here can add to help you. Last resort, kahr will make it right but hopefully we can eliminate that trip back to.

There is a super sticky on hw to tkae that slide apart. It is a no brainerif u wantto tackle it. u get toknow theinner workings of ur gun reallynice that way and thenu will fully understand how pulling that trigger back actualy engages this and that to make the bang thing happen. Wehave seen crude caked in the striker channel that would even choke Monica Lewinsky...

GKILLMAN
02-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Well I wiped everything i could get to with solvent.. I cleaned the inside of the barrel out and was suprised at how dirty it was. the I put a light coating of oil over everything I cleaned after I dried the solvent on the gun..

Under the slide I saw an area with a tiny spring on the back and I put 2 drops of oil in there because it looked dry.. I wiped off the excess oil. Reassembled the gun and racked the slide and dry fired it about 10 times..

I did read the tiny Kahr booklet when I bought the gun.. and I just skimmed through it again .. and I didnt notice and sectoin with lube points or and real clear care instructions.

I'm totally new to guns.. this is my first gun.

I'm just trying to learn, you have to start someplace.

jocko
02-11-2013, 06:09 PM
wher ethat spring was we normally recommend keeping that area totaly dry as it willrun right donw intothe striker channel and can gum stuff up big time. U still need to clean that striker channel, do u see that litlte hole in the bottom of the slide up by the breech face, insert your srpay cleaner nozzlein that hole and just sray away, fluids will come outthe back of that channel where that little spring it. leave that area dryn no lube

take a few minutes and read the kahr tech section andhit on propper prepping of ur kahr ad then hit on the sticky kahr lube chart..

GKILLMAN
02-11-2013, 06:18 PM
I Was looking at the lube chart sticky,

And I was looking for that hole is that hole visable on the sticky?

GKILLMAN
02-11-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm sorry I'm so gun part ignorant..
I dont even know what you mean by breech face.

JFootin
02-12-2013, 12:07 PM
The lower arrow of #9 points at the clean out hole. And #9 is saying to lightly oil the flat rail where the points of the 2 arrows are (the entire rail), not in the hole. Notice that #7 and #8 are the only places on the striker assembly that are to be oiled.

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a466/btowngeorge/KahrLubePoints.jpg

GKILLMAN
02-12-2013, 12:37 PM
thanks so much for all your help guys, I'm going to break it down and clean and oil it properly now.

Tomorrow I'm going back to the range I sure hope this fixes the problem and that I didnt dmg anything by shooting a dirty gun.

GKILLMAN
02-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Ok I'm getting good at the take down. I sprayed cleaner in that hole for atleast 30 seconds... But it never looked dirty so I dont know.

But my barrel was way more dirty then I though it should be yesterday when I cleaned it. I'm going back to the range tomorrow and hopefully that was the problem some gunk or metal shavings or something.... If not it sure is a bummer.

jocko
02-12-2013, 01:15 PM
really the dirty barrel has nuttin to do with ur issue. good luck and keep us posted.

jocko
02-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Ok I'm getting good at the take down. I sprayed cleaner in that hole for atleast 30 seconds... But it never looked dirty so I dont know.

But my barrel was way more dirty then I though it should be yesterday when I cleaned it. I'm going back to the range tomorrow and hopefully that was the problem some gunk or metal shavings or something.... If not it sure is a bummer.

can u now pull the trigger on an empty chamber and ge tthe bang type trigger and then can u just bring backthe slide about a 1/2" to reset the trigger and do it again. try that way a couple dozen times at home to see. It should reset every time or ur wasting ur time at the range.:Amflag2:

with the slide off the gun, u can test the striker block out also, without any dissassembly. just pull the striker back far enogh for that little round button type thing at the very back on the left side to pop up. It should do that automatically when the striker is brought back a tad. Then push in on that button and see if the striker moves forward a tad. It should do that also. they retest again to see if that little button pops up every time. It has to do that.

Now on the grip itself, towards the back u can see what we call the cocking cam,(part #15 in ur manual) give it alittle flip with ur rinner, does it move back to where it was or does it stick there where u flipped it. It is spring driven and it should always return, so if it does not then the cocking cam spring is broken. check these out before going anywhere. might save some time and grief and wassted ammo.

CJB
02-12-2013, 01:29 PM
See if you can blow sone air into the space where the trigger bar is...in the frame. My guess is grunge stuck in there

GKILLMAN
02-12-2013, 01:51 PM
can u now pull the trigger on an empty chamber and ge tthe bang type trigger and then can u just bring backthe slide about a 1/2" to reset the trigger and do it again. try that way a couple dozen times at home to see. It should reset every time or ur wasting ur time at the range.:Amflag2:

with the slide off the gun, u can test the striker block out also, without any dissassembly. just pull the striker back far enogh for that little round button type thing at the very back on the left side to pop up. It should do that automatically when the striker is brought back a tad. Then push in on that button and see if the striker moves forward a tad. It should do that also. they retest again to see if that little button pops up every time. It has to do that.

Now on the grip itself, towards the back u can see what we call the cocking cam,(part #15 in ur manual) give it alittle flip with ur rinner, does it move back to where it was or does it stick there where u flipped it. It is spring driven and it should always return, so if it does not then the cocking cam spring is broken. check these out before going anywhere. might save some time and grief and wassted ammo.

I cocked it, dry fired got a nice click then I WAS able to get a trigger reset by bringing the slide back just to where the end of the slide meets the beginning of the frame.. I think its going to work! I could actually hear and feel the trigger mechanism reset and its WAY before the point where I believe recoil would push the slide.

GKILLMAN
02-12-2013, 01:57 PM
really the dirty barrel has nuttin to do with ur issue. good luck and keep us posted.

I new the dirty barrel had nothing to do the the firing pin reset. I was just commenting,. I couldnt beleive how dirty it was.. I think it was way dirtier then it should have been, Of course you all were right on the money..
They should clean and oil the guns before they ship em out.

getsome
02-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Welcome GKILLMAN, You have found the best web site anywhere about all things Kahr...Folks here are very helpful and will answer any questions you may have so don't be afraid to ask...It would be a good idea to get some spray cleaner (most here use non chlorinated automobile brake cleaner from the part store) spray the inside of the polymer frame out real good because there could be God knows what kind of crud from the factory stuck down in there....The Non Chlorinated Brake cleaner won't hurt the polymer at all and this is the stuff you use when you stick the red tube into the clean out hole on the bottom of the slide...Stick it in there real tight and blast away everytime you clean the pistol and like the others said NEVER oil the striker hole and firing pin, it likes to be totally dry....

Good luck and let us know how the 2nd range trip goes and again, welcome to Kahrtalk....

GKILLMAN
02-19-2013, 02:51 PM
OK great news... After the thorough by the book cleaning and lube job.
I'm happy to report 100 rounds with not on trigger reset failure..
Had a couple stove pipes but I beleive they were my fault getting a little limp wristed.
Other then that no problems... getting used to the LONG trigger pull.. I'm Getting more accurate as I'm learning the gun.. was shooting about a 4 inch circle at 10 yrds..

Pretty good considering its my first hand gun and these first 150 rounds have been my first pistol shots ever.