PDA

View Full Version : Hi from a Florida noob with a stuck slide

TommyT
02-13-2013, 04:35 AM
Hi folks,

The title says it all. I've searched here and across the Internet and have worn my hands ragged trying to remove the slide for my CM9s first cleaning before I hit the range with it this weekend. I'm glad I started early!
I've owned revolvers but this is my first pistol so that doesn't help my situation much. I've watched several videos and each one show the slide coming off effortlessly while pulling the trigger. No go for me. The slide stop wasn't too difficult. Another post I found suggested turning the gun upside down and then pulling the trigger. No good either. The slide will barely move maybe a 1/4 inch if that. I'm basically stuck now with my pin out. Kahr's tech support hours directly conflict with my work hours so I can't call them. I'm hoping some of you folks might be able to give me some more pointers to try tonight when I get home. Seriously it won't move. I considered trying to pop it off with a rubber mallet and decided that was probably a bit much. Thanks for reading.

Flincher
02-13-2013, 06:15 AM
Welcome to the forum from North Dakota. Plenty of Kahr experts (me not included) are on this form to help you.

JohnR
02-13-2013, 06:41 AM
Welcome from Florida. It's all in the timing. Pull the slide back enough to cock it, follow it forward slowly, and pull the trigger as you move it forward. Keep trying till you get the feel of when to do it.

wyntrout
02-13-2013, 09:53 AM
No mallet! Using light forward pressure on the slide, pull the trigger and hold it down while the slide goes forward. In removing or putting it back on, wiggling the trigger with light pulls can help. You want the cam in the rear of the frame to clear the slide.

Watch the Kahr take down video because re-assembly is not a piece of cake if you do it wrong! Kahrs are different and we get too many "malfunctions" because someone put the springs in backwards, or inserted the slide lock pin incorrectly!

Here's some other info:

Welcome to the Kahrtalk forum supported by Kahr Arms.
Here are a few essential links and things to do BEFORE you take your new pistol to the range, and ESPECIALLY BEFORE taking it apart and trying to re-assemble it! The Kahr is a different design… 6-7 unique patents cover the Kahrs. I’m not trying to imply that you don’t know anything about guns, but many don’t know anything about the Kahrs and some of the things you can do to damage or cause malfunctions of your new, or new-to-you Kahr pistol.
First, if you don’t have a manual, yet, or one didn’t come with your pistol, you can download the pdf file here:
http://www.kahr.com/PDF/kahrmanual.pdf
Impatient? Watch one of these videos FIRST! These videos can point out possible problem areas and emphasize correct procedures!
Take down and re-assembly videos:
T, TP, CW, P, & PM/CM Series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=G2cZgVg_SwA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G2cZgVg_SwA)
MK series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...mSCnIOaUk#t=0s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zXmSCnIOaUk#t=0s)
K series:
http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-K9-Elite.asp
There are many links on fixing problems listed in several places… under the New Member or Kahr Tech sub-forums.
A very handy one is the Kahr Lube Diagram:
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14750
Many of your questions can be answered in these areas and you can learn how your Kahr works and not damage it with improper handling.
Frequently asked questions: http://www.kahr.com/faq.asp?

There are many helpful members here most of the time who might be able to help you, but as anywhere, there are many opinions and not all are correct. Be mindful of this before doing anything drastic to modify your pistol!

Wynn:)
Aka wyntrout

Bawanna
02-13-2013, 10:03 AM
You can't pull the slide back either, like stuck in one spot.

This is gonna seem dumb but one never knows, you got the magazine out right?

I've seen it happen.

You really should be able to pull the slide back like your gonna chamber a round, even with the pin out.
If you can't do that something is jammed up inside.

If it won't move it sounds like now you can't line it up to put the pin back in either?

wyntrout
02-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Yes! That's real "DOH!" aka Homer! :D

TommyT
02-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks all. You are correct Bawanna. It won't pull back any further than really being flush with the back of the gun. It's like it popped into a bad position after I pulled the pin out and will hardly move in either direction. The mag is out, not a dumb question at all.

Bawanna
02-13-2013, 11:13 AM
You've applied a fair amount of forward pressure on the slide with the trigger pulled and without the trigger pulled?

This is the first time you've taken it down for cleaning and it shot ok prior to this take down with no issues?

I'd try pulling the trigger and pulling slide to the rear and then reverse direction and try to push it off the front firmly.
If that doesn't improve anything I'd release the trigger and try to push the slide forward firmly.

If still no positive results I'd take a soft face mallet and with some deep breathes repeating I'm not a bull in a china closet gently try to tap the slide forward first holding the trigger back and then without the trigger back.

I'd not get mad dog mean and really hammer just fairly conservative whacks.

My next trick would be to put the muzzle up against something, wood, etc and try to push the slide back while pulling the trigger or moving it back and forth.

The things hung up on something and not being able to look and feel is frustrating.

If still no go, I'd send an email to Kahr at your convenience and they can respond at their convenience hopefully with a plan to cure this thing.

TommyT
02-13-2013, 01:12 PM
I'll retry all this stuff tonight. Bawanna, yes this is the first breakdown attempt. It hasn't been fired. I was trying to clean it before I take it out for the first time. Before this I was able to rack the slide and dry fire fine. I did the slide moves slightly as I squeezed/released the trigger.

TommyT
02-13-2013, 05:34 PM
I give up. Frustrating. This thing isnt budging. I've emailed Kahr to see if they have any suggestions. Something's not right. It can't be this hard. I've killed my hands trying to take this slide off.

Bawanna
02-13-2013, 05:44 PM
The pin is out so that's checked off. You were able rack the slide and reset the striker and dry fire multiple times without issue.

You had to pull the slide back a bit to remove the pin. The back of the pin had to come thru the notch in the slide and it's completely out?

Now it's locked up tighter than the wallet on the end of Jocko's wallet chain?

I don't see where a picture would even help us.

The pin being out shouldn't make any difference.

Any chance you can move it enough to start the pin back in and catch the barrel lug. Looking to make sure it's lined up. You won't be able to insert all the way but I'd try to start the pin and then again try and rack the slide.

Somethings fishy here.

TommyT
02-13-2013, 05:55 PM
It doesn't line up to catch the barrel lug. I was hoping I could undo what I have started but that ain't happening either. I agree something is definitely fishy.

zamboni
02-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Where are you in florida? If anywhere close to st. pete I could take a look at it for you.

TommyT
02-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Hey me too! That'd be really cool. At least I could rule out the noob factor then.

ParrotHead
02-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Boy this is making me shudder at the prospect of my first slide removal...

wyntrout
02-13-2013, 06:59 PM
It's easy! Just W A T C H T H E K A H R Take Down video! Really! It's easy to take one apart but it has to go back together CORRECTLY!

Impatient? Watch one of these videos FIRST! These videos can point out possible problem areas and emphasize correct procedures!
Take down and re-assembly videos:
T, TP, CW, P, & PM/CM Series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=G2cZgVg_SwA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G2cZgVg_SwA)
MK series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...mSCnIOaUk#t=0s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zXmSCnIOaUk#t=0s)
K series:
http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-K9-Elite.asp

Geobob
02-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Hello, Tommy, and welcome from Missouri to a great forum. Good people and info here!

Take care, and best wishes to you and yours!

TommyT
02-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Thanks Geobob! Lots of folks have stepped up to try and give me a hand. So Kahr tech help had nothing for me. They pretty much said take it to a dealer or ship it in. Zamboni, I'll take you up on that offer. Just let me know when and where it is convenient for you. Thanks all.

zamboni
02-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Thanks Geobob! Lots of folks have stepped up to try and give me a hand. So Kahr tech help had nothing for me. They pretty much said take it to a dealer or ship it in. Zamboni, I'll take you up on that offer. Just let me know when and where it is convenient for you. Thanks all.

Cool. You never said how close to st. pete you are, but I'll assume this means you are close enough. PM me your phone number and I will give you a call and set somthing up. I can't picture what would lock it up that bad so hopefully it is just something simple.

TommyT
02-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Tierra Verde out by Fort Desoto. PM forthcoming.

nuke
02-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Boy this is making me shudder at the prospect of my first slide removal...

It really shouldn't. I'm all thumbs most of the time and I had no issues when I did my prep. I simply watched the video a few times and also read and re-read the break-down procedure in the manual. It went surprisingly smooth.

Good luck to the OP. Let us know how things go.

zamboni
02-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Well, it wasn't user error. He has never even gotten the slide off, so he couldn't have messed anything up. I just met up with Tommy, and that slide is locked up tight. I don't know if it is causing it to lock up, but there is something very wrong with the trigger as well. It definitely needs to go back to kahr.

Tommy, please let us know how everything turns out and what kahr says the problem is (if they tell you). Good luck. It was nice to meet you.

gb6491
02-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Well, it wasn't user error. He has never even gotten the slide off, so he couldn't have messed anything up. I just met up with Tommy, and that slide is locked up tight. I don't know if it is causing it to lock up, but there is something very wrong with the trigger as well. It definitely needs to go back to kahr.

Tommy, please let us know how everything turns out and what kahr says the problem is (if they tell you). Good luck. It was nice to meet you.
What's wrong with the trigger?
Regards,
Greg

wyntrout
02-16-2013, 02:29 PM
Greg, is there a difference in pulling the trigger before you pull the slide lock pin, as to opposed to pulling the pin, then pulling the trigger before sliding the slide forward and off the frame?? I always do the latter, as in the instructions.

gb6491
02-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Greg, is there a difference in pulling the trigger before you pull the slide lock pin, as to opposed to pulling the pin, then pulling the trigger before sliding the slide forward and off the frame?? I always do the latter, as in the instructions.

Wynn,
I can only speak for my CWs, but it doesn't matter on them if the stop is pulled before or after the trigger is pulled as long as the trigger is held to the rear until the slide moves forward enough to completely clear the cocking cam.

Here's a thought:
I'm guessing the OP pulled the trigger while trying to remove the slide, but released it before the slide had moved enough to clear the cocking cam and come off the frame. Now, with the stop pin out, the slide can't be pushed far enough to the rear to reset the trigger or move the cam down enough for the slide to clear it.
If that's the case (and the trigger is not damaged), one of these might work:
A.)Insert an empty magazine into the pistol, pull and hold the trigger to the rear and try removing the slide forward off the gun.
B.)If that doesn't work, with the magazine still in the gun, see if the slide and barrel will move enough to reinstall the slide stop. If it does, install the stop, remove the magazine, rack the slide to reset the trigger, then proceed with the dis-assembly, but remember to hold the trigger to the rear once you pull it and remove the slide.
C.)If the above don't work, push down on the barrel hood (hopefully the barrel will move down some) and maintain that pressure while trying to move the slide to the rear. You only need to move the slide enough for the trigger to reset (you should here it reset). Once the trigger resets, pull it and hold it to the rear while moving the slide forward and off the frame. Try this in it's entirety without the magazine, then if it didn't work with the magazine installed.
Regards,
Greg

RevRay
02-16-2013, 02:50 PM
I am definitely paying attention to this thread, let me tell you.

wyntrout
02-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks, Greg. That's what I got to thinking about. The cam being in the way due to the trigger being pulled and released early. It's hard to keep up with all of these problems on different threads!

muggsy
02-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Note to Bawanna. If the factory didn't use a mallet to put the gun together you shouldn't need a mallet to take the gun apart. Just sayin.

Bawanna
02-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Note to Bawanna. If the factory didn't use a mallet to put the gun together you shouldn't need a mallet to take the gun apart. Just sayin.

So in summary your saying I'm heavy handed?

Sometimes the slides can be a bit hard to slide off. I wasn't talking a full 180 degree overhead swing, just a tap.

But generally I concur with you and think a lot of guns and lots of other things are damaged when the mallet comes out.

zamboni
02-16-2013, 06:59 PM
He didn't have the slide stop with him (that I saw), but from what I remember I don't think it could be re inserted. The slide is literally stuck about 1/8" foreward of normal and will not budge either direction. The trigger just felt horribly strange. It was not smooth at all, and it had the weight of a reset trigger, but there was no break.

TommyT
02-18-2013, 09:12 AM
I have tried every combination of everything that has been posted so far. I didn't try pulling the trigger until the slide locked into its current position. Kahr has been kind enough to provide a RMA and prepaid shipping label. I can't think of a thing in the sequence of events that led to this after watching and rewatching all the videos. I'm chalking it up to stuff happens. They're taking care of it. I want to love this little piece very much. It was good meeting you also Zamboni and thanks a lot for your time. Maybe I'll catch up with you at the range after they get this squared away.

Scoundrel
02-18-2013, 12:36 PM
I have a bad habit.
Whenever I read one of these threads about a CM9 problem, I try to reproduce the problem on mine. I've not yet been successful in doing so.

I have tried to miss the barrel lug with the slide stop pin. Can't make it happen.
I tried to wear out my recoil spring. Uh uh.
I just tried releasing the trigger too soon to get the slide stuck. Nope.

I fear that one of these days I will be successful and I will have to send my CM9 to Kahr, and it may be out of warranty by then.

I'm interested to see how this turns out.

TommyT
03-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Well, it's finally back and it came off like a champ first try this time. The work order just says "reworked recoil spring". Hopefully I can get her cleaned up tonight and out to the range finally tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's input.

MW surveyor
03-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Good to hear that it is back.

Just PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ put it back together correctly. :)

zamboni
03-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Have fun shootin it tomorrow. Hopefully all the hastle with this gun is behind you and you can now just enjoy it.

TommyT
03-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Seems to be back together fine. The biggest hassle was with the magazine. The bottom did not want to go back on but I finally got it.

ParrotHead
03-01-2013, 07:33 PM
How do you "rework" a recoil spring?

RevRay
03-01-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm glad your CM9 is fixed. But I am disappointed that we don't actually know what went wrong in the first place.

And ...

I have a bad habit.
Whenever I read one of these threads about a CM9 problem, I try to reproduce the problem on mine. I've not yet been successful in doing so.

I have tried to miss the barrel lug with the slide stop pin. Can't make it happen.
I tried to wear out my recoil spring. Uh uh.
I just tried releasing the trigger too soon to get the slide stuck. Nope.

I fear that one of these days I will be successful and I will have to send my CM9 to Kahr, and it may be out of warranty by then.

I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Scoundrel will not know even that it's fixed.

Geobob
03-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Hello, Tommyt, and welcome from Missouri to a great forum. Good people and info here! Hope that you get your stuck slide issues ironed out.

Take care, and best wishes to you and yours!

TommyT
03-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Great trip to range. She's officially broken in. 200+ rounds and not a single malfunction. Compared to my 357 snubby revolver, this thing is a pleasure to shoot. Couldn't be more pleased with it.

muggsy
03-14-2013, 07:47 PM
How do you "rework" a recoil spring?

First you work it, and then you work it again. Even a noobie should know that. :)

BULLSTONE
03-16-2013, 12:22 PM
welcome to the forum from the great state of virginia.
BULLSTONE