PDA

View Full Version : Repaint sights.

Ryan_289
02-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Ive got a Springfield 1911 that I bought 9-10 years ago. Its the plain parkerized verson with the three dot (combat?) sights. It just been sitting in the gun safe for the last several years (shame on me right?) and I decided to take it out this past weekend. I ran about 75 rounds through it, wondering the whole time why I have been just letting it sit in the safe! I noticed that the white paint on the sights was very dim. It made it hard to pick them up when taking aim. Is there a way to repaint these without making a huge mess and if so what kind of paint?

MW surveyor
02-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Ryan there is good news for you! For just $14.99 + shipping and handling, I will send to you the official sight painting kit. More than enough to paint a gazillion front and rear sight sets! :rolleyes:

On a more serious note: Get yourself any color nail polish (or any other type of enamel paint) that you like. Clean the sight with acetone or other cleaner to remove any oil. Let it dry up before you go to the next step. Steady the slide/gun and use a toothpick to apply one drop to the sight where you want the paint to go. If you think that you can't get one drop into the recess, put a bit of tape where you don't want the paint. You may need to build up the coats to get the desired effect but the nail polish dries pretty fast so you can recoat in less than an hour. If you are really anal, you can put some clear nail polish over the white (or whatever color).

I've done this to just about all of my pistols that don't have either a fiber optic or night sight. Works real well.

CJB
02-14-2013, 04:54 PM
On an even more serious note...

I got some KG bake on white... its damn near impervious to everything... did my PM45 after K Koting it... works like a champ!

Cost - about $9 plus shipping from midway. Gloss white. Apply, apply, apply... clean up any overflow etc...with lacquer thinner or acetone. When you get it "just so", you bake it 350 for an hour and you will not be able to get it off except to scrape it off with a needle file

MW surveyor
02-15-2013, 06:59 AM
On a sorta serious note:

I've used white porcelain repair by Super Glue and if you ever want to get it off, you've got to do some serious file work just like the bake on stuff that CJB recommends.

CJB
02-15-2013, 07:03 AM
how cool is that!!!

Glock Holiday
05-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Ryan there is good news for you! For just $14.99 + shipping and handling, I will send to you the official sight painting kit. More than enough to paint a gazillion front and rear sight sets!
Okay that's pretty funny right there, and Ryan if you act now I'll send you two official sight painting kits....plus shipping and handling for $14.99 but you must act now...not sold in stores.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x42/Glockholiday/IMG_0386600x450.jpg (http://s181.photobucket.com/user/Glockholiday/media/IMG_0386600x450.jpg.html)

I used a Chevy Impala white touch up paint pen and broke a couple of tooth picks in half.
Works for me.

jeepster09
06-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Ok ok.....now for the real fix....use "fishing lure paint", the bright greens and reds are my choice. Paint is very durable and is designed for under water. I use q-tips and tooth picks when doing sights. I bought a variety pack of colors from Gander MTN. FOR UNDER $10 :eek:

RevRay
06-25-2013, 06:07 PM
OK, I'll go ahead and ask the newbie question ... if somebody is going to go through the trouble of touching up a sight, why wouldn't you go ahead and go the extra mile and touch it up with luminescent paint? Surely it can be bought somewhere easily enough, can't it?

berettabone
08-24-2013, 08:03 PM
I just use Testors white or lime green.............put it on with a toothpick..............put it on my Beretta sights about a year and a half ago, still on.

Redstate
08-25-2013, 09:54 AM
I put (with a toothpick, as stated by berettabone) Testors Lime green on my Kel Tec P3AT front sight long ago and it is holding up great.

luis670
08-27-2013, 12:15 AM
On my Kel Tec P-11, I used my cars white touch up paint on the sights, came out pretty good too.