PDA

View Full Version : CW40 Re-Assembly problem

bayoutrigger
04-02-2010, 12:09 PM
I read the recent assembly thread problem. I have the same problem with a new twist.

After countless re-assemblies without a problem today I could not get the slide to go back in order to insert the slide stop. After trying all of the suggestions in trghe other tread without success I put a full mag into the gun thinging this would "un-jam" whatever was causing the problem. It worked. The slide went back and a round was advanced into the chamber. But now the slide will still not go back to get the round out and put the slide stop in. Help!

Bawanna
04-02-2010, 12:40 PM
I read the recent assembly thread problem. I have the same problem with a new twist.

After countless re-assemblies without a problem today I could not get the slide to go back in order to insert the slide stop. After trying all of the suggestions in trghe other tread without success I put a full mag into the gun thinging this would "un-jam" whatever was causing the problem. It worked. The slide went back and a round was advanced into the chamber. But now the slide will still not go back to get the round out and put the slide stop in. Help!

You better give Ian a call at Kahr. You have to pull the trigger to get the slide off the frame and with a live round in the chamber and no slide lock lever this ain't a good situation. You can't remove the magazine and cycle the slide even though it in firing position now? No movement at all?

Bawanna
04-02-2010, 12:52 PM
I can't help but add how foolish it is to feed a loaded magazine into a gun that isn't assembled and working. I hate to make anyone look bad or stupid or dumb, I've been all those things many times and will no doubt be again but this is not good.
An empty magazine might be an idea and the next time mine turns quirky I may explore that as a fix but loaded, thats not good.
Be very very careful my friend, your playin with a lit stick of dynamite there. Old unstable leaking dynamite.
Keep us posted please.

ripley16
04-02-2010, 01:03 PM
You may try to insert a smaller diameter rod through the hole in order to capture the barrel linkage and allow the barrel to move down and back and thus unlock from the slide. The bigger, the better. This should be good enough to eject the loaded round. Good luck.

Be careful.

Bawanna
04-02-2010, 01:35 PM
You may try to insert a smaller diameter rod through the hole in order to capture the barrel linkage and allow the barrel to move down and back and thus unlock from the slide. The bigger, the better. Good luck.

Be careful.

Good idea ripley. I got one of these in once where my brother in law had inadvertantly loaded 9mm Makarov into his 9mm. He asked for 9 at the range counter and they gave it to him, not knowing any better he loaded it. First round of course jammed mercilously into the chamber and locked everything up. I ended up extremely carefully inserting a wooden dowel down the barrel, wearing ear protection and a vest and applying pressure on the round while gently taping on the frame to work the case loose. It went very well and quickly but I lost alot of sweat and stomach lining on that deal.
I'm hoping for a positive report from bayoutrigger very soon, this is stuck in my mind right now.

jocko
04-02-2010, 02:29 PM
I can't help but add how foolish it is to feed a loaded magazine into a gun that isn't assembled and working. I hate to make anyone look bad or stupid or dumb, I've been all those things many times and will no doubt be again but this is not good.
An empty magazine might be an idea and the next time mine turns quirky I may explore that as a fix but loaded, thats not good.
Be very very careful my friend, your playin with a lit stick of dynamite there. Old unstable leaking dynamite.
Keep us posted please.

you made a statement that is 100% dead on track. very foolish thing to do..:31:

Bawanna
04-02-2010, 02:34 PM
you made a statement that is 100% dead on track. very foolish thing to do..:31:

I know it makes you feel bad on the rare occasions when I'm close to the mark but your approval is the highlight of my otherwise drab day. I just wish we'd get an update on this. I'm seriously worried about this situation.

jocko
04-02-2010, 02:54 PM
myself included. If the gentlemn get this thing cleared, I wold advise if he can get the slide of fthe gun to take the recoil assembly out ofthe gun and see how the slide feels upon reinsertion. Please no magazine what so ever, loaded or unloaded. Should not be in there.

that slide has to ride over the slide bar tab that stick up in that alide area toward sthe back of the frame ont he right side. With the slide off, pull that trigger to see if that trigger bar moves downward. It should. Sometimes that ejector gets in the way and causes hangups in that area of the slide also.There realy is nothing in that lower portion that should shop that slide from going backward. Knowingyourt not pulling the trigge rupon insertion as you have done this many times to.. Probably won't help much but a tad bit of grease on that cocking cam helps let the slide ride over it. Check to see that the striker is moving forward and backward to. tap that little buttom likkething on the bottom when the side is off to see if that striker moves forward, it should.

Course this is assuming you can get the slide off the gun. Don't touch that trigger either, we don't know the position of the striker even.

I will PM u with a suggestion..

Bawanna
04-02-2010, 02:59 PM
If the slide went far enough to the rear to pickup a round and chamber it, that striker has got to be waiting in the starting gate ready to do it's intended duty. Cocked and ready. Not good.

Bawanna
04-02-2010, 04:46 PM
:) OK son, just calm down and we are going to fix this.

1st: go get a shovel.

Now go out in the back yard and dig a hole. Place the pistol into the hole and cover it up with dirt. Pack it down good & tight.

Now, go to the gun store and buy you a REVOLVER.:D

Cause I am thinking auto's are just not your thing :2eek:

I kind of agree but wanted to give him a second chance if he gets out of this unscathed. I just wish he'd give us an update. We're in a scarey place right now. I wanna know he's not bleedin out on the garage floor or something. If burying it in the back yard saves injuries I'm all for that. Heck I'll even chip in towards the new revolver.

jocko
04-02-2010, 05:11 PM
If the slide went far enough to the rear to pickup a round and chamber it, that striker has got to be waiting in the starting gate ready to do it's intended duty. Cocked and ready. Not good.

I have to agree:cheer2::cheer2:

I wondering what if a damn good whack on the back of the slide with a mallet and I mean damn good whack..:7: with no slide lock leve rin place, I would think the damn thing should go forward with some TLC and a mallet... Hell that is what kahr would do. It ain't gonna fall off by itself, we know that. It has to come off forward and not backward either, we also know that, so take a damn mallet and hit it like it was your worst enemy. I seriously doubt if the gun can fire as it has the striker block holding back the striker and unless the cocking cam makes its revolution to release the striker block, I would definitley think the gun is safe to do what I am suggesting..

Bawanna
04-02-2010, 05:35 PM
April Fools day was yesterday, I sure hope bayoutrigger aint' playin jokes here. If so there's a guaranteed arse whooping involved here. I've tried to put this out of my head all day and it ain't working.
If it was at my house I'd do as ripley said and put the biggest pin I could get in the slide lock hole, take it in the back yard, probably sand bag it and pull the trigger, hopefully it would just go bang, then try some finese much more safely and failing that then go to the big mallet.
We should require each others phone numbers here so we can call and do welfare checks. Course I don't do audio so phones might not be the best option.

bayoutrigger
04-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Able to get things working again. I carefully held the gun with one hand and pushed down the barrel hood with the other. At the same time my nephew pulled the slide back ejecting the cartridge. Put the slide stop in and gun works just fine. Not sure what the problem was. Barrel and recoil rod/spring seemed to be sitting correctly but obviously something wasn't right.

ripley16
04-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Glad it worked out.

Bawanna
04-03-2010, 12:39 AM
Yup, theres a bunch of us here that are happy it worked out.

jocko
04-03-2010, 08:19 AM
very strange indeed. Glad u got it going though.