PDA

View Full Version : excessive firing pin hits

bulletnose
04-02-2010, 02:27 PM
A friend showed me some fired .45acp rounds from his collectible 'tommy-gun'.
He claims that it fires and functions ok, but wonders if the firing pin is about to give him problems. The empty casings look ok, but the firing pin hits are massive and way out of proportion to normal. Could it be a worn pin or bolt or what? I would like to help him correct the problem. I have worked on other firearms but have no direct experience with the 'tommy-gun'. I feel that the problem can be corrected with some new part installs and fitting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Race Bannon
04-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Both the Full Auto and Semi-Auto Thompsons are pretty robust and I've noticed mine makes a larger impression on the primer. This may also be caused by the fact that they are "blow-back" and not locked breach. This means that the spring power and the weight of the bolt keep the chamber closed. I suppose when the round is fired there is a very very small amount of pushback that can occur that against the breach face and firing pin that would make the firing pin hit look larger than it is. Unless the primer is pierced I would not worry about it.