PDA

View Full Version : 1995 K9 - What to replace?

whgraham
04-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Hello Folks,

Picked up a 1995 K9. I've got no idea if any springs have ever been replaced, and the Elite trigger sounds cool. So, what all should I look to replace to get it functionally back up to like-new or even better?

Plan on a big dot sight set-up when I can find a set for less than Kahr charges.

Thanks.

Bawanna
04-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Hello Folks,

Picked up a 1995 K9. I've got no idea if any springs have ever been replaced, and the Elite trigger sounds cool. So, what all should I look to replace to get it functionally back up to like-new or even better?

Plan on a big dot sight set-up when I can find a set for less than Kahr charges.

Thanks.

I'd take it apart and clean it and lube it (got to the tech section theres help there, read prepping your new Kahr by Jocko) If everything seem in order I'd go out and shoot it. See what if any issues it has. I'm a firm believer in if it ain't broke don't bother fixing it. At most if you have feed or ejection issues you might need a recoil spring, I've never had mag springs go bad. You didnt say what kind of life it's had before, old inventory or used and nice or used and abused. Could change things. Let us know how she runs when you get er out.

jocko
04-03-2010, 08:21 AM
get new recoil springs for sure, and also buy a few magazine springs, both cheap to buy and error on the side of caution...

PM sent.

nice gun, age has little to do with anything, Just ask bawanna!!

whgraham
04-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks.

Looks to have carried a lot, but shot very little. I'll put in the recoil and striker springs, and more on to mag springs in a while.

Nice thing about this one, is the that the front strap is checkered. Makes for a very secure grip. I like wood grips, so I may go that route.

With respect to sights: I've check the slide, and it does not have that little divot to denote the old style slide. On the inside of the slide, the front sight looks to have some sort of pin on the inside of the slide, right where the front sight is. The front sight is pretty loose as well.

jocko
04-04-2010, 06:07 AM
Thanks.

Looks to have carried a lot, but shot very little. I'll put in the recoil and striker springs, and more on to mag springs in a while.

Nice thing about this one, is the that the front strap is checkered. Makes for a very secure grip. I like wood grips, so I may go that route.

With respect to sights: I've check the slide, and it does not have that little divot to denote the old style slide. On the inside of the slide, the front sight looks to have some sort of pin on the inside of the slide, right where the front sight is. The front sight is pretty loose as well.

If it has a divot, it is the new style slide. You have a staked front sight, very similar to the cw models today..

whgraham
04-05-2010, 10:58 AM
The front has a dovetail as well. I've not seen a slide with a dovetail, and a stake before. Guess I've not seen that many slides.

Bawanna
04-05-2010, 11:01 AM
The front has a dovetail as well. I've not seen a slide with a dovetail, and a stake before. Guess I've not seen that many slides.

I'm betting somebody had it dovetailed at some point. Front sight probably got loose or broke and they got serious.

jocko
04-05-2010, 11:23 AM

think the k9's ever had a staked front sight. all dovetailed. If you order sights you need to order the old style (different size dovetail) for your K9 and you will be good to go..

Bawanna
04-05-2010, 11:26 AM
think the k9's ever had a staked front sight. all dovetailed. If you order sights you need to order the old style (different size dovetail) for your K9 and you will be good to go..

Oooops, a thousand apologies, my bad. I got cornfused with another fella that was talking CW9? I think?:confused: I wasn't thinking (that's probably normal).
I agree.:behindsofa:

whgraham
04-05-2010, 11:50 AM

Thanks. The the whole in the slide for what looks to be used for a stake, is not really needed?

Anyway, the front sight in there now jiggles a little bit. Not enough to actually come out with easy or change the sight picture, but it does move slightly.

Bawanna
04-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks. The the whole in the slide for what looks to be used for a stake, is not really needed?

Anyway, the front sight in there now jiggles a little bit. Not enough to actually come out with easy or change the sight picture, but it does move slightly.

Put me over in the confused column:(. I never seen a Kahr front sight that was dovetailed that jiggled. They are usually tighter than heck. Back even worse than the front. On other loose sights, I drive em off, put em in a vise and drive a punch in the bottom to create a divot or little mound, then smack the top edges of the dovetail lightly and carefully to tighten the dovetail a tad, clean everything up nice and drive the sight back it. Might be able to tap the dove tail with the sight in place and kind of stake it in so your sights stay the same if it's shooting right.