PDA

View Full Version : Sellier and Bellot primers

Captain Crunch
02-21-2013, 06:53 AM
I have an order in for 5k of S&B sp primers. Normally use Winchester.
Are S&B any good? I hear mixed things, reliability is important to me (always use factory ammo for SD).

mr surveyor
02-21-2013, 08:24 AM
I just got a few thousand S&B primers myself from a big group buy. I've shot a good bit of S&B factory ammo over the years and never had any problems, so I would assume the primers will be fine. I haven't loaded any of the S&B primers yet, but I'm sure a couple of my other loading buddies have (by now). I need to check with them and find out.

Salty
02-21-2013, 08:42 AM
They have worked fine for me. Usually don't have to buy them but these are different times.

jocko
02-21-2013, 09:37 AM
IMO, every gun has its own personality. Whgat works in mine may not work in urs or vice versa.. U just don't know until u try um in any brand not just S & B.

My little P380 does not like 102 grain Rem. golden sabres, I don't hear that from other owners. so I just moved on to a round that worked correctly.

Captain Crunch
02-21-2013, 11:45 AM
I guess I am used to my 1911 and, before that, my Hi-Power. Both ate anything I fed them (over 28,000 reloads all go bang).
Also used to reloading with Winchester primers, they always go bang.

So, still looking for anyone with actual experience with S&B sp primers.

MW surveyor
03-05-2013, 12:02 PM
S&B worked for me today!

Went to the range today to do some bench testing of my Para GI Expert. Shoots low as heck and have to use a bit of extra elevation on the front sight to get into the bulls eye.

Any way, fired off 100 rounds of 45 ACP with the S&B primers. No problems what so ever!

jlottmc
03-05-2013, 12:27 PM
I know that on the ammo side those guys are frequently used by Winchester and others for overruns on contracts. Same ammo, different name. Perhaps the primers are much the same in that area.

muggsy
03-05-2013, 12:44 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't work. I don't know how hot they are compared to other primers so it would be a good idea to start with a 10% reduction in powder and watch for signs of excessive pressure before going full power.

MW surveyor
03-05-2013, 03:36 PM
I was just shooting light target loads.......185 grain LWC over 4 grains of bullseye. Really pleasant to shoot and pretty dared accurate with a hold over of about 3". Gonna first file down the front sight to get to the right height, then try and get a Dawson Precision fiber optic. Suxs getting old in the eyes.

Captain Crunch
03-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Thanks guys. I am still waiting for Graf's to ship my 5k order from early Feb. I will go ahead with the S&B of I don't find anything else at LGS before they ship.

Will probably sell off 3k locally on armslist just because.

downtownv
03-05-2013, 05:43 PM
By the looks of things at their website they ain't got squat in stock.
Why would you sell them on arms list?
I'll buy the other 3k if/when you get them!

Captain Crunch
03-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Can only sell local, no hazmat shipping for me.
Graf's had them in stock when I ordered them feb 12th(for about an hour!). Supposedly, they will be shipping them soon......

MW surveyor
03-06-2013, 05:47 AM
Do yourself a favor and keep the other 3K unless you really need the money right now.

Captain Crunch
04-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Update: have fired about 100 in my cw9 with no failures to fire.
Seem to have had more than normal number of primers not seat correctly and get crunched when seating them in the dillon probably 10 out of 400 so far.

MW surveyor
04-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Seem to have had more than normal number of primers not seat correctly and get crunched when seating them in the dillon probably 10 out of 400 so far.

That's strange. I've loaded 500 rounds so far both sp and lp primers with no problems what so ever. Seated perfectly.

Course I'm using my Lee equipment......................................tha t could be the answer. :biggrin1:

mr surveyor
04-09-2013, 04:43 PM
My lgs got a bunch of us together in December to make a big bulk buy on primers (for us and to stock the store), and all he could come up with was the S&B LPP's .... he got 100k while he could. I only got 2k initially since I still had a supply of CCI's on hand, but several of my other buddies have already been using quite a few of the S&B's without mentioning any issues. I posted about these on a thread in December or January to find out if anyone had any bad experiences with them, and most of us have shot a good bit of S&B factory ammo over the years with no problems.

I guess I'll find out in a month or three, whenever I run out of the CCI's.

Captain Crunch
04-09-2013, 06:48 PM
That's strange. I've loaded 500 rounds so far both sp and lp primers with no problems what so ever. Seated perfectly.

Course I'm using my Lee equipment......................................tha t could be the answer. :biggrin1:

I am something of a brass whore, take almost anything i pick up so it could be crimped primer pockets or who knows what. I just set those aside and move on. I like my Dillon press a lot but the primer feed has been a bit troublesome over the years (35k plus rounds).