PDA

View Full Version : 550B users, cal change ?s

igolfat8
03-08-2013, 10:52 AM
My 550B has always been set up and dedicated to load .40. If I were to set it up for another caliber, say 9mm or .380 what other pieces parts do I need to order? Is there a "kit" with everything I need? How long does it take to change from one caliber to the next? What adjustments & tweaking are needed before I can pull the lever from caliber to caliber?

otium
03-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Obviously some dies, and the Dillon dies are pretty good.

Then a caliber conversion kit, a powder die, a tool head and possibly a new powder dispenser if you don't want to mess your current 40s powder settings. A tool head stand is kind of handy for holding the tool head you take off. The brianenos.com site has simplified some of the things in "packages" if you so choose.

I load for 45, 44, 9mm and some flavors of rifle. The biggest pain for me is when the primer size changes. Since I load 45 a lot more than the others, I leave the large primer set up in place and use a hand priming tool for the small primer stuff and skip that step on the Dillon.

If I missed something I'm sure others will let us know.

Have fun.

Edited;

Decided to add this link as I found the first time at this site it can be rather challenging finding the right information. http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html#550calconv