PDA

View Full Version : ss guide rod replacement

dizzielizzie
09-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Has anyone replaced the (polymer?) guide rod in the reciol spring assembly with the stainless one offered on the Kahr store?

I honestly think they seem a little, well, cheesy - the end of it where it slightly protudes from the slide on my MK9 is a little chewed up, just from regular assembly, but otherwise seems fine. The replacement stainless rod seems like a good idea, except Kahr notes on the MK series they need to be "fitted" and I don't want to mess with something that otherwise isn't broken.

1sleekMK40
09-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Yes and very easy, when you get your stainless rod you will have to cut the plastic one, mine was hollow, transfer the springs, make sure you put them on the same way, match up the rods before dissassembly. Then use red loctite on the threads and secure it tight. Hope this helps. You will want to lube everything before you put it together too. Here's where I got mine. CHEAPER

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=139822553

ltxi
09-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Thought about this and decided when it comes time to replace it I'll get Wolff parts. Until then, I'm in the if it ain't broke, don't fix it camp.

diver454
09-13-2009, 04:51 PM
I replaced my mk9 spring with Wolff xtra, day I rev'd it. Saw what came from factory and decided no I want steel like the gun itself. I also use Corbon +p.

Bstinson
09-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Yes and very easy, when you get your stainless rod you will have to cut the plastic one, mine was hollow, transfer the springs, make sure you put them on the same way, match up the rods before dissassembly. Then use red loctite on the threads and secure it tight.

Oh, so the ends of the new guide rod unscrew? They mentioned in the ad that sizing may have to be done to the rod. Is that where the adjustment is?

Thanks.

Brad

1sleekMK40
09-14-2009, 10:15 AM
I got mine from the link in the prior post, they make them for Kahr I was told. It is cheaper that way and made to drop in. I also ordered the factory guide rod/spring and used the new one to put together with the stainless guide rod. Still have the old one as a spare should I need. I'm not big on plastic which is why I changed mine out.:D

Use this link the other expired...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=140093475

1sleekMK40
09-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Let me add this: The end that unscrews is thinner and goes against the barrel, make sure to use red loctite on it so it won't come loose. Mine works great and no modifications required.

dizzielizzie
09-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Thank you everyone who replied... right now I'm going with the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" but put a Wolff set at the top of my wish list.

I do really love my MK9...! Bought it from a local gun shop as "new/used" for $525 because they said it was inventory they bought from another shop that went out of business. My only complaint is it's the "GA" series serial number that you can't buy the wood grips for... in research I found my gun was manufactured in August 1998 so it sat on a shelf somewhere for 10 years. I found this on Glock Talk Home (http://www.glocktalk.com) out of all places!

kahrcrazy
09-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Just make sure to put loctite on the threads of that assy when you put it together. It will back out if you dont, I found out the hard way once.

Blakestr
02-17-2010, 01:23 PM
And wear safety glasses when you cut the old guide rod because that spring could go flying...

jocko
02-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Thank you everyone who replied... right now I'm going with the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" but put a Wolff set at the top of my wish list.

I do really love my MK9...! Bought it from a local gun shop as "new/used" for $525 because they said it was inventory they bought from another shop that went out of business. My only complaint is it's the "GA" series serial number that you can't buy the wood grips for... in research I found my gun was manufactured in August 1998 so it sat on a shelf somewhere for 10 years. I found this on Glock Talk Home (http://www.glocktalk.com) out of all places!

Do this. measure the flat part of that recoil assembly that goes against the barrel lug. If it measures 3/8" order the new complete replacement assembly from kahr. They did make one change in these models a few eyars back and went to a 1/2" flat part instead of 3/8" Other than that you probably have as good a MK as one today...

DasFriek
12-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Sorry to revive a slightly old thread, But no since in starting one when this has most the info already.
First off, All the links to GunBroker don't work so i cant find the ones talked about, Anyone know where to buy these cheaper?
But i can always get one from Kahr.

My questions also are what is the stock MK9 recoil spring rates?
Does Wolff make a HD version springs and are they advised when shooting +p rounds?
From what i can tell it uses a 2 spring design like the plastic system does, Is there a sleeve thats not shown on the Kahr site that come with it?

I bought some 124gr +P Ranger FMJ and it would be nice to swap springs when using these rounds. Also my carry ammo is GD 124gr +p short barrel version so it wouldn't hurt to get heavier springs in the gun and test them for carry.
Id have to see some 100% reliability for me to carry the heavy springs for ccw as id rather have my gun battered a tad than jammed up.

jocko
12-05-2010, 10:03 AM
stock recoil spring on the mk9 IS 18.5#. yOU CAN TGO TO WOLFFS AND ORDER THE SAME RATE OR UPGRADE TO THE 20.5# WHICH i HIGHLY RECOMMEND. iT WILL COME AS A SET with the inner spring and the outter spring. I wold advise just putting on the outter spring as that is the spring that carry's most of the energy. Open end towards the front of the slide to. They work super. I run the 20.5# in my PM9 from wolffs and they are just super.

while your ordering from wolffs you might want to jsuyt order a 3 pak of their 5% more magazine strength springs to. It just helps the follower to work that slide lock alot better. 5% ain't much andu won't notice any differencein loading either but 5% more is better than 5% less..

U might want to also look at their 5# striker spring that just drops right in your gun. Doeksn't change the 3/8" trigger travel but reduces pull poundage from around 7.5# downto 5# and no you will not get any light strikes either.

Wolffs makes kahrs springs by the way.

don't swap springs , your kahr can take the +P ammo with the factory poundage. I just feel that the 20.5# gives alittle more spring life to the recoil springs. Your not going to hur tyour kahr shooting +P ammo.

Nice gun by theway.

DasFriek
12-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks for all the info, Since you say the stock setup will handle the +p ammo ill wait until break in is done and reliability is proven.
I see your saying to just reuse the old rod, But if i get the SS rod do i use part of the plastic rod or does the new rod come with the bushing that separates the springs?

I like higher spring rates myself as long as they dont affect the guns reliability, But the help keep the muzzle down imo.

Im not so sure ill get the mag springs except to just have on hand. The striker spring dropping the pull would take some comparison as i love the trigger now.
But this gun will be a 50/50 carry/range gun so im not sure i want to lower the pull being its so smooth.

jocko
12-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Unless I have lost my mind, there is no stainless recoil rod for the MK 40 or MK9. It uses a captive recoil rod assembly with an inner spring held on by a screw on cap (end peace) and the outter reoil spring which is what u want to replace periodically.

Bawanna
12-05-2010, 04:41 PM
I can't say you haven't lost your mind, that would certainly explain alot, but your right that there is no stainless recoil guide setup for the PM's. Only the steel K's, MK's, etc.

jocko
12-05-2010, 04:51 PM
coming from someone who has lost him mind only later to refind it, that means alot to me Bawanna. Ur such a comfort during hard times....

DasFriek
12-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Yeh, Im just speaking about the MK series.
Kahr Stainless Steel Guide Rod (MK Series) - Style # MSGR, Kahr Arms Guide Rods & Barrels (http://www.kahr.com/Guide-Rods-and-Barrels/Kahr-Stainless-Steel-Guide-Rod-MK-Series.asp)
This is the rod in question.
What i was asking is do i use a part off the original plastic rod which uses 2 springs to make them work on this rod? Or does it just go too a single spring system?

Im really confused as no information is given on the subject, But im sure you guys can guide me well.

Dont worry jocko, You probobly just missed your meds but you will be fine tomorrow.

DasFriek
12-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Here is a set thats non captive from Wolff:
Springs for KAHR ARMS Semi-Auto Pistols (http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=29#189)
http://www.gunsprings.com/content/Image/GlockMiniRodsHorz.JPG

But the one from Kahr thats SS doesnt have the bushing thats shown in the Wolff picture, So i wasnt sure if it just isnt pictured or do you reuse the one from the factory set?

BTW i found the guy who makes the aftermarket ones, But i see none for the MK series. But if i really want to i could email him to see what he could do.

Im in no hurry to do this and wont even be changing anything on the gun until i hit 500 rounds trouble free.

jocko
12-06-2010, 04:52 AM
Humm, Ilearn something new every day. For me I would stay with the kahr set up, it is not a cheap made system and IT WORKS, we know that part.

wise idea to make no changes until the gun is running right...

DasFriek
12-06-2010, 06:53 AM
So your suggesting staying with the original plastic captive system the gun came with and just swap springs later once reliability is established?
From what ive seen you and Bawanna45cal know your stuff and if you say stay with original equipment im not gonna take chances as the gun will spend part of its life as a bug and maybe 2% as a main in a "grab and go" situation" so it does need to remain reliable.

I gave up waiting on my Gov. 1911 to come back from the refinisher before taking my new MK9 to the indoor range and im going this after noon. My plan is 200-250 rounds today as i want to also verify just how easy the steel frame makes recoil on my hands.
Im pretty tough, But my 3.5" RIA CS Officers .45 is going with me also as its not done being broken in yet either. But it handles recoil as good as a Gov. 1911 since its all steel also. Should be a fun day.

steve666
12-06-2010, 11:39 AM
When I ordered my K40 I also got an Bedard SS guide rod and set of Wolff springs and I took them with me when I went to pick up my pistol. They were installed before I left the shop.

Bawanna
12-06-2010, 11:55 AM
The K's are a piece of cake and easy. I'm not sure about the replacement setup on the MK. It has the different setup so the one shown from Kahr doesn't make sense to me unless as DasFreik says theres another piece or they change the setup to a single spring similar to the K series.
I'm a little confused on this one.

DasFriek
12-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Wolff shows the bushing i would expect to see in a 2 spring setup thats non captive.
But i have plenty of time to find more info and research before i upgrade to the 22lb spring and i may just stick with the stock captive system if i cant find something that makes sense and is affordable.