PDA

View Full Version : Primer question

AIRret
03-24-2013, 05:46 AM
When you switch primers (small pistol CCI to Winchester) do you have to change your load? My guess is no but I want to make sure.

Yesterday we passed the 2,000 mark for reloads. We've been loading 9mm because around hear it's harder to find than 45.

sas PM9
03-24-2013, 08:56 AM
When you switch primers (small pistol CCI to Winchester) do you have to change your load? My guess is no but I want to make sure.

Yesterday we passed the 2,000 mark for reloads. We've been loading 9mm because around hear it's harder to find than 45.

AIRret:

According to my old school reloading books and info- YES! you should drop down at least 10% and work back up when you change ANY component in your reload. Even when you change to a new bottle (maybe different lot) of the same powder.
HTH.

-steve

Tilos
03-24-2013, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't be concerned about it unless you are up around the max for the powder you are using.
It's somewhat critical for bottle necked rifle ammo or magnum pistol stuff, again if you are in the max range of the powder.
jmo

mr surveyor
03-24-2013, 08:56 PM
I wouldn't be concerned about it unless you are up around the max for the powder you are using.
It's somewhat critical for bottle necked rifle ammo or magnum pistol stuff, again if you are in the max range of the powder.
jmo

I agree.

Since I don't load anything near the top edge, I never worry about any little insignificant change that may be introduced by "brand change" of primers. I have yet to find that loading to anything near max load spec's gives the best accuracy or performance. I would caution against using magnum primers for powders that don't specify magnum primers to begin with or for any loads with greatly reduced case fills.

I normally find the best accuracy/performance with the mid range load data and have never noticed any difference between Winchester, CCI or Remington primers. I do have a few thousand Sellior & Bollet primers from a recent purchase that I haven't tapped into yet, but seriously doubt they will be any different with my mid range loads.

IF you're working at or near the max load .... yep, migh be a good idea to back down a bit.

But.... I'm still a rank rookie:D

surv

TD2K
03-26-2013, 06:15 AM
I'm a rookie too, but I didn't change when switching primer brands. I use whatever brand I can get my hands on at this point (cept the wolf brand junk).

but, as said, I'm not "maxing out" my powder charge either. I'm actually on the low end of what the manual says in order to reduce the recoil a bit yet still cycle without any problems.

I've been reloading 9mm like nobody's business. Hubby finally got in his 38 sp bullets on saturday so I supposed I'll have to share the bench with him on occasion now.

MW surveyor
03-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Hey, that Wolf brand junk works pretty good. Goes bang 99.999% of the time.

TD2K
03-26-2013, 11:37 AM
really? I don't like their ammo at all, won't feed right, so I figured primers were in the same boat.

mr surveyor
03-26-2013, 12:09 PM
maybe he's thinking about wolf brand chile, but I think it's made in the same commie plant the ammunition is made

muggsy
03-26-2013, 12:25 PM
There is no substitute for care or caution in reloading. Gun safety is no accident. Of course, if you don't value your firearms or body parts you can be as reckless as you want. Just don't say that you weren't warned. We experienced reloaders know that those safety warnings are just there for the neophytes. :rolleyes:

TD2K
03-26-2013, 12:31 PM
maybe he's thinking about wolf brand chile, but I think it's made in the same commie plant the ammunition is made

you put chili in your reloads? hmmmm :biggrin1:

Bawanna
03-26-2013, 12:44 PM
He has a custom RG. They will shoot anything.

AIRret
03-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the info. We will definitely drop our load 10% when changing a component.

However, at this point we are loading just a hair above the minimums. If we dropped 10% we would fall off the chart.
I sincerely appreciate all the help.

We are still loading Montana Gold FMJ. When we run out of them (if the primer situation d gets worse there will be no reloading) we will try loading the bayou bullets.

mr surveyor
03-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Mr Donnie is pretty backed up at Bayou Bullets, but is able to fill small orders (he considers 500 to be a small order) ... at least on some boolits. When I called him a couple of weeks ago I didn't ask about the standard acp rounds which are probably backlogged.

AIRret
03-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Mr Donnie is pretty backed up at Bayou Bullets, but is able to fill small orders (he considers 500 to be a small order) ... at least on some boolits. When I called him a couple of weeks ago I didn't ask about the standard acp rounds which are probably backlogged.

Thanks, we are ok for now. We still have thousands of Montana Gold, Bayou bullets and precision delta on back order. Currently I'm more concerned about primers.

mr surveyor
03-26-2013, 05:17 PM
I think the shop I deal with the most still has 60-70k of the S&B large pistol primers that came in with our "group order" in January. I think he had them stickered at about $35 OTD and I'm considering getting another couple thousand while they're available.

Bawanna
03-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Good plan.

Tilos
03-26-2013, 10:30 PM
I have never seen any primer type/brand mentioned in any data in the major powder Mfg'er publishings for pistol.
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

AIRret
03-27-2013, 03:49 AM
I have never seen any primer type/brand mentioned in any data in the major powder Mfg'er publishings for pistol.
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

I haven't either but then I new to reloading.

MW surveyor
03-27-2013, 05:23 AM
First off - Wolf brand chilli is not chilli. (at least not here in TEXAS!)

The Wolf primers do seat a little hard and if not seated fully, you'll get a dud.

Some of the older loading manuals did specify brand/type of primer to be used.

If you are near the starting load, changing primers would not make a significant difference.

dkmatthews
03-27-2013, 06:54 AM
What's the point of talking about loads and reducing 10% when changing a component if the loader isn't also using scientific methods to measure the affect of the change on the load?

I don't know anyone who has the scratch to afford a laboratory for measuring CUP, so velocity is all we can measure. But I haven't seen anybody talk about checking velocities with a chronograph after you work up a load.

What it REALLY comes down to at the end of the day is that we all have to be careful and we all have to accept responsibility for our own actions on the reloading bench.

For those of us who load for fun and economy -- read, research, read and be safe.
For those of us who fear the sky falling -- feel free to bring citations to the warning of doom and gloom but please stop spreading the FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt).