PDA

View Full Version : Screws for New Wood Grips

quikduk
04-11-2010, 06:11 PM
What size of screws come with the standard MK plastic grips (I have an 03 Elite)? What thread size & pitch are the factory screws? Will 1911 standard or short grips work on the MK (are they the same thread size and pitch but longer?

The stock screws appear to need another 2-4mm more of threads to correctly engage the frame.

quikduk
04-11-2010, 07:02 PM
After browsing the forums, it appears that the Kahr grip screws are the same thread size & pitch as standard 1911 screws (150"-50)...albeit shorter. Judging from how short the stock screws are, I think I am safe ordering the "thinline" screws as they appear slightly longer and I didn't feel like shortening the standard length 1911 screws.

More on this soon.

quikduk
04-12-2010, 10:11 AM
OK. Here are some pics of my MK and the new wood grips from Bawanna45cal. They are made out of Cocobolo and are very very nice. I am waiting on an order of “thinline 1911 grip” screws from Woodgrips.com (item #0103). As soon as I get the screws in, I'll mount these up and take a few better quality pics. Thanks again Bawanna45cal as these are really going to look awesome on the MK!!!

(http://www.woodgrips.com/)
Screws & Bushings 1911 pistol grip steel hex head (http://www.woodgrips.com/screws_&_bushings.htm)

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/MK_Elite03_01.jpg http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/MK_Elite03_02.jpg http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/MK_Elite03_03.jpg http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/MK_Elite03_04.jpg http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/MK_Grip_01.jpg http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/MK_Grip_02.jpg http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/MK_Grip_03.jpg http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/MK_Grip_04.jpg

Bawanna
04-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Nice looking grips if I do say so my own self. Other than screw length they fit on the Elite properly? As I recall more wood could have been removed to sink the screws deeper and give you some length. On the MK9 that I used to make them they were as deep as I could go without the screw sticking into the mag well.
Note also that if the new screws are a bit long, you might want to try the rubber oring trick. I get the ones correct diameter for the screw and real thin, they have different thickness of rubber. It will take up a bit of length, and keep the screws from backing out. Thanks for the pics, can't wait to see them on the gun.

Bawanna
04-12-2010, 10:27 AM
I can see looking at the pics closer that the top screw hole is deeper and different than the older style MK9 I used. It was recessed deeper in the frame like yours. Hopefully the longer screw will make everything work. If not, it's back to the drawing board and we'll try again.

quikduk
04-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Nice looking grips if I do say so my own self.

:D

They really are very nice and these late night crappy pics don't do them justice. I'll have to think up a better layout and lighting for the next pics. :cool:

BTW, what is anything do I need to do for maintenance re: oils etc. and what about the cleaning solvents? :confused:

Bawanna
04-12-2010, 11:12 AM
:D

They really are very nice and these late night crappy pics don't do them justice. I'll have to think up a better layout and lighting for the next pics. :cool:

BTW, what is anything do I need to do for maintenance re: oils etc. and what about the cleaning solvents? :confused:

Really nothing required for maintenance, just love and fondling. The oil from your hands will actually make them better and better. There's a lot of natural oil in Coco Bolo, I can attest to this because it gets into the poors of your skin, my hands are slightly numbed and I actually sweat red if I play with it enough. This is just from the dust and working it. Your not in any danger of toxic waste. They just get richer with time. As for solvent, if your throwing the gun in a solvent tank, I'd take them off, I detail clean and leave them on, I do take them off periodically to clean the gun underneath the grips. You can try your favorite solvent on the inside and see if there are any ill effects. I've not encountered any but there's some new stuff out there I haven't played with. I just put Linseed oil on them so if they get scuffed or damaged it's easy to touch up the checkering and put a little more oil on them and they'll be good as new. I can't attest that it's virgin linseed oil, says it is but how do you really know ya know?

quikduk
04-14-2010, 07:16 PM
I can't attest that it's virgin linseed oil, says it is but how do you really know ya know?

You never know where that LO has been. It may have some "miles" on it if you know what I mean. ;)

I ordered the thinline screws and after receiving them, I realized that I need one pair of thinline and one standard to fit these grips...so I ordered a standard pair. I'll let you know how they work out. The 4 screws are about $12 shipped each set so $24 for screws is ok plus I have a spare set.

As soon as I get them mounted, I'll take some really good pics, then its off to the range to see if the sear and sear spring hang up.

Bawanna
04-14-2010, 07:22 PM
You never know where that LO has been. It may have some "miles" on it if you know what I mean. ;)

I ordered the thinline screws and after receiving them, I realized that I need one pair of thinline and one standard to fit these grips...so I ordered a standard pair. I'll let you know how they work out. The 4 screws are about $12 shipped each set so $24 for screws is ok plus I have a spare set.

As soon as I get them mounted, I'll take some really good pics, then its off to the range to see if the sear and sear spring hang up.

If I could get my hands on that new style gun and those grips I'm sure I could make one size screw fit by changing the depth of the screw in the wood. Wonder why they changed the frame like that? The original grips screws were all the same?

quikduk
04-14-2010, 07:55 PM
As soon as I get them mounted and test fire it (later this week or early next week), I'll ship you up my factory plastic grips (+ some dough) to use as a template.

Just send them back when you are finished.

Bawanna
04-14-2010, 08:18 PM
As soon as I get them mounted and test fire it (later this week or early next week), I'll ship you up my factory plastic grips (+ some dough) to use as a template.

Just send them back when you are finished.

I doubt that would work. Have to work my way out, not in. That top screw hole is just recessed so the top hole must be recessed deeper. The bottom is normal so they would all be the same. Hang on to your factory grips, never know when you might need em.

jlottmc
04-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Pretty.... now I wait for my new dremel type tool and I'll try mine for my 1911. Like the cocobolo. Where did you find that kind of lumber? Knowing you it had to be found ahhh frugally.

Bawanna
04-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Pretty.... now I wait for my new dremel type tool and I'll try mine for my 1911. Like the cocobolo. Where did you find that kind of lumber? Knowing you it had to be found ahhh frugally.

Theres a lumber yard about 20 miles away that carries alot of exotic woods. I've been trying to find a source for stabilized wood where they inject it with resin or something to make not crack, you can use old rotten wood and once it's stabilized no worries.
I don't know what I did to earn the frugal title but some of this wood ain't cheap. I try to buy alot when I get there and haven't been there for 2 or 3 years, need to get up there again. Coco bolo is relatively cheap at like 35 bucks a ft. Last piece of ebony I got was 103 bucks for a 1ft piece. Nice stuff.

jlottmc
04-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Hmmm I just figured since you work for a living like I do, that frugal would be a more correct term. $35 a foot ain't that bad. My uncle wants some to make a fire piston, I may see what I can find him.

Bawanna
04-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Hmmm I just figured since you work for a living like I do, that frugal would be a more correct term. $35 a foot ain't that bad. My uncle wants some to make a fire piston, I may see what I can find him.

Funny I was playing with a fire piston a few months back, made several attempts with mixed success. I now have a lathe so my efforts should improve immensely. I've made lots of kubotons by hand with knife and file. What took a week is now minutes on that lathe. Still need some different attachments to make it do what I want but it will come. Time would help too, lots going on.
I have plenty of coco bolo that would be plenty big enough for a fire piston. Send me a PM with dimensions and I can mail you some if you want.
I'm on the hunt for some buckeye maple burl if anyone ever runs into that, it almost has to be stabilized though, too unstable in it's natural state.

jlottmc
04-15-2010, 11:01 AM
I think I can get some curly maple, but I almost remember my uncle buying a fire piston, I'll have to ask when he's at home. I think he still has some curly maple that just looked amazing. Buckeye maple may be a bit hard to find around here. Give me some time and I'll see what I can do.

quikduk
04-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Partial-Update:

I received both my short and standard 1911 SS Allen screws and here's the deal. The short screws are finished slightly less brightly than the longer ones. I will now attempt to shorten the longer ones for the wood grips so they don't interfere with the mag and will do the same for the shorter ones for use with the stock plastic grips.

I just have to devise a clean way of holding them while they are shortened.

Bawanna
04-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Partial-Update:

I received both my short and standard 1911 SS Allen screws and here's the deal. The short screws are finished slightly less brightly than the longer ones. I will now attempt to shorten the longer ones for the wood grips so they don't interfere with the mag and will do the same for the shorter ones for use with the stock plastic grips.

I just have to devise a clean way of holding them while they are shortened.

Food for thought-
Are the short slightly less brightly polished screws the correct length? Perhaps you could just polish them some more?
About how much do you think you need to remove from the long screws?
Would my rubber oring under the screw take up enough to make them work without the screw head sticking out of the wood too far and be unsightly?

Bawanna
04-20-2010, 04:57 PM
:) OK , once again.............I give up !

WTF is a Fire Piston ? And, why were you playing with one Bawanna . :D

It's like a hollowed out piece of wood with another piece of wood with thread wrapped around the end to create a tight tolerance The end is cupped a bit and you put various types of dry tender in the cup. When you slam the stick into the hollow piece it causes alot of heat and will create a spark, the tender when everything works right will be smoldering and you can use it to build a fire. I never got mine to work very good. Supposedly better men than me can make these thing out in the wild with like bamboo or other stuff and build a fire. I have a shop full of tools and now a lathe and still not working, me thinks I'll carry matches in the wild or be cold and hungry.
I've seen another deal where you just push it down on a surface and it makes lots of sparks but it's a different deal. The city custodian here is a big survival guy, he bought a kit to make a fire piston. He never got his to work either. Having the right stuff to put in it is crucial too. Here in Washington, most everything is normally wet.
Bawanna plays with everything.

Bawanna
04-20-2010, 05:13 PM
:) OK, THANKS for the explanation !

I almost did not ask. Was worried It was a trap....LOL !

Like when someone talks about a "PIECOST" or a "HENWAY". :p

Well you can feel much better now, I have no freaking idea what a "Piecost, or a Henway, never mind, I said it fast and figured it out my own self. Your kind of a tricky fella aint' ya there mr. ryoung?
I feel like I just saved myself from falling into a very deep deep well.
Me life even passed before me own eyes.
Darn that was close.

quikduk
04-20-2010, 05:57 PM
LOL. I fell for the Henway joke...once...by my FIL...:rolleyes:

Back to the OT. The short screws work for 2 of the holes but not the other (I'll try the polish idea)...HOWEVER...after I posted earlier, I remembered about the o-ring trick and I'll pick some up this week and test it out.

The 1911 screws have a stepped head so the o-ring might hide o.k.

I have to remove between 3-4 threads per screw dep. on location.

Re: the Fire Piston, it sounds cool...but then why would God have created Mr. Zippo?

More later.

jlottmc
04-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Zippos run out of fuel. Besides its good to practice the old ways too, never know when that laptop will take a sh!t on you and you get stuck with a pencil...

jlottmc
04-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Actually the diesel engine's inventor had an idea after seeing one in use (he came up with the diesel engine). Hardwoods work best for them, and I really think that cocobolo is the only wood that works for it. If you want to make a modern one, use copper pipe that is capped on one end. They do work, it takes a bit of a seal, but not too much. Yes I cheated and made a monster one out of 1/2" copper tube. It works but it's a beast.

Bawanna
04-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Actually the diesel engine's inventor had an idea after seeing one in use (he came up with the diesel engine). Hardwoods work best for them, and I really think that cocobolo is the only wood that works for it. If you want to make a modern one, use copper pipe that is capped on one end. They do work, it takes a bit of a seal, but not too much. Yes I cheated and made a monster one out of 1/2" copper tube. It works but it's a beast.

Precisely correct, same principle as the diesel engine. I've seen the copper tube version. What gets me is they make these things from nothing out in the boonies. One version I saw was made from bamboo as I recall. I looked all around here, can't find no damn bamboo. I thought Koala bears like bamboo, so I staked out a few areas, figured I'd follow the koala bear to his bamboo patch and no damn Koala bears. Something rotten in Denmark here. I've gotten a couple to come close, I got smoke and heat just not enough to get flame. I really didn't put a bunch of time into it, I save it for another rainy day project.

jlottmc
04-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Remember that the fire piston will give you and ember for your tender bundle. The tinder bundle should be fine and dry too...but it's been awhile since I started a fire. Course now I cheat and use a magnesium block and flint with a broken hacksaw blade for a striker. Makes a really nice carry package for my spare keys really, wrap the whole bundle in 550 cord and there you go.

quikduk
04-25-2010, 09:13 PM
OK. After I sanded down the 4 longer (standard 1911) SS hex screws by approximately 1.25mm, they fit perfectly and do not protrude into the mag well. Here are a few pics from my BB phone. While they are not the best quality, they should show how beautiful these grips are.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/IMG01245.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/IMG01246.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/IMG01247.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/IMG01250.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/IMG01249.jpg

I'll take better, more photogenic pics later and re-post.

Bawanna
04-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Those look real pretty on that pretty shiney gun. I'm not sure better pics are a good idea, might bring out the critics you know?
What did that have for grips originally, rubber or plastic, probably black?
I think you told me once but I forgot. Looks like they fit pretty well in all the right places. I'm happy.

jlottmc
04-26-2010, 06:30 AM
Nice work Bawanna.

quikduk
04-26-2010, 10:57 AM
They had the thin plastic grips from the factory. :puke:

BTW, Your package goes out today. Sorry for the delay but I was waiting for payday to arrive. Funny thing but someone I work with on occasion here at the County just won the lottery last week...I think his retirement date just got moved forward...:faint2:

I am glad you are happy with them. I think they look and feel fantastic. :yo:

Bawanna
04-26-2010, 11:12 AM
They had the thin plastic grips from the factory. :puke:

BTW, Your package goes out today. Sorry for the delay but I was waiting for payday to arrive. Funny thing but someone I work with on occasion here at the County just won the lottery last week...I think his retirement date just got moved forward...:faint2:

I am glad you are happy with them. I think they look and feel fantastic. :yo:

The main thing is your happy! If your happy, I'm happy. Thanks in advance for the package, it was of course optional but very much appreciated. Do they feel good in the hand? I made those as thin as the factory plastic on the early MK9 I used as a pattern, I'm thinking the newer models are even thinner yet. Not sure one could go much thinner with wood, not quite the foregiveness of tupperware but hands down looks cooler to me.

quikduk
04-26-2010, 01:13 PM
I am hoping to try it out this week. It feels very good in the hand. These are only slightly thicker than the plastic but I prefer that. The plastic grips are a little "flat" and the slight "roundness" of these helps the comfort.

Once I test them out, I'll let you know.

OAN, My BIL wanted to know if you could make a set for his Walther PPKS.

Bawanna
04-26-2010, 01:34 PM
I am hoping to try it out this week. It feels very good in the hand. These are only slightly thicker than the plastic but I prefer that. The plastic grips are a little "flat" and the slight "roundness" of these helps the comfort.

Once I test them out, I'll let you know.

OAN, My BIL wanted to know if you could make a set for his Walther PPKS.

I don't know what a BIL is but I can do PPKS. I think that's what my mom has so I got a sample to fit to. I don't think she can work the slide any longer so I'm sure she'll let me borrow it. Send me a PM with what he wants, dark, light, checkered whatever. Start him on patience medicine, not sure how long it will take.

jlottmc
04-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Brother in Law??? and On Another Note???

Bawanna
04-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Brother in Law??? and On Another Note???

Dang your good, I didn't even see the OAN, guess I was so stuck on BIL I didn't get to it. I'm with that At Liberty?? fella, I think this short hand text messaging ought to be tossed, talk in full sentences with real words. We'll give Jocko a pass since they hadn't invented the alphabet when he was in grammer school but he does pretty well. I think that Huked on fonix weally wurked 4 him.

Any how I can do Walther PPKS, I don't care who you are........................

jlottmc
04-27-2010, 06:26 AM
I won't even touch that. I was brought up to respect my elders and all, besides I like things when they're potato head style anyway.

quikduk
04-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Sorry bawanna, I'll use full words from now on.

I'll ask my brother-in-law what he is looking for and PM you with his reply. Patience isn't a problem as he has lived with a cracked factory plastic grip for a while now. His is the Interarms PPKS and not the later Smith versions but I believe when he talked to a Walther a while back, the rep indicated that the grips were the same.

Bawanna
04-27-2010, 09:20 AM
Sorry bawanna, I'll use full words from now on.

I'll ask my brother-in-law what he is looking for and PM you with his reply. Patience isn't a problem as he has lived with a cracked factory plastic grip for a while now. His is the Interarms PPKS and not the later Smith versions but I believe when he talked to a Walther a while back, the rep indicated that the grips were the same.

Don't nobody ever say they are sorry to Bawanna. It makes me feel all demanding and like I can tell people what to do and such. I'm just a tiny little grease spot in the huge game of life and I'm perfectly ok with that. It's all good to me, I'm very flexible. You guys want to communicate in arabic, jump right in there, I'll find me one of them translator books and play right along. It's all good.

I wrote the book on respect for elders long before I came here (I think it's required study at all grade levels in the great state of Missouri) and it'll still be used and applied right up till the boat leaves for the other side of the river. Jocko and some of the others know I'm just pushing buttons and lord knows he enjoys pushin mine even more than I do his.

So it's absolutely all fine and wonderful to me. No more sorries aimed at me.

jlottmc
04-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Bawanna, you get a boat to cross the river!?!?!? I always figured I'd have to swim it, or in the best case get thrown. I also figured I wrote the book on greasy stains. But as you say it's all good.

Bawanna
04-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Bawanna, you get a boat to cross the river!?!?!? I always figured I'd have to swim it, or in the best case get thrown. I also figured I wrote the book on greasy stains. But as you say it's all good.

I'm kind of hoping to make elder status before river time. I figured the boat would be a sign of respect to elders but if they just tie me to a piece of drift wood and set me a drift I'm ok with that too. I kind of figure if I can still swim the game ain't really over yet. I don't swim to good anyhow which is also why I don't like to go to far from shore in a boat. Guess that's one reason that Bass fishin is so appealing to me. Dont gotta go to far from shore, usually my rubber toys are getting hung up in trees and bushes so that works fine for me.

quikduk
05-10-2010, 10:28 AM
I recently put another +100-150 (I can't remember) rounds through the MK (and the balance through the XD9sc), now with my custom Bawanna45cal cocobolo grips. They were a mix of Winchester white box FMJ 115gr, Federal Hydra-Shok JHP 147gr+P and Winchester JHP 115gr. I had absolutely NO problems and it shoots like a dream. :D Interesting (at least for me) was that I didn't notice a difference between the 115gr and 147gr rounds. :rolleyes:

The grips made it much easier to control despite the 15-20 knot cross winds that were buffeting me. I basically practiced at the 10, 15, 20 and 25 yard lines and was able to hit what I was aiming at. I will say that the diminutive MK is, at least for me at the moment, not exactly designed for "distance shooting".

At the 10 & 15 yard marks, I could keep them in the 4" circles with the 15 yard line being a tad more difficult. I have shot at the 7 yard line before and it is a bit too easy.

One thing I noticed with both the MK and my XD9sc is that rapid taps & follow ups are going to need more practice as keeping close on target is a bit more difficult. I am seriously thinking about having both Magnaported in the near future and both will be getting XS Big Dots too.

Oh...and I did try the XD9sc at the 50 yard line and got 28/30 in the "qualifying" center section of the silhouette but not the MK. Maybe next time.

Overall, a 330 round success!!! :yo:

jlottmc
05-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Nice work.

Bawanna
05-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Would you attribute the better control to the slightly thicker grip or the texture of the checkering. Just curious for future generations. Many think that the checkering makes it harder on the hand much like the texture of the PM's but I've not found it a bad thing to myself. Long as they work that's what wer'e all about.

quikduk
05-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Would you attribute the better control to the slightly thicker grip or the texture of the checkering. Just curious for future generations. Many think that the checkering makes it harder on the hand much like the texture of the PM's but I've not found it a bad thing to myself. Long as they work that's what wer'e all about.

Both...I think. I didn't find the checkering hard on my hand and it did help the grip after many rounds and when my hand would perspire.

The MK is definitely NOT comfortable for long range sessions but I attributed that to the heavy slide spring and the sharp slide release (I am gonna fix that one soon!).

I shoot the XD9sc better. I attribute that to the longer grip to trigger length and to the fact that it "feels" like a natural extension of my hand whereas the MK feels like a very cool, neato, diminutive 9mm. It was bought primarily as a BUG and for alternate carry (when the little XD feels "too big". Perhaps a K9 is in my future and I would also entertain thoughts of an EMP or CZ-Rami (non-poly) in the future.

Bawanna
05-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Both...I think. I didn't find the checkering hard on my hand and it did help the grip after many rounds and when my hand would perspire.

The MK is definitely NOT comfortable for long range sessions but I attributed that to the heavy slide spring and the sharp slide release (I am gonna fix that one soon!).

I shoot the XD9sc better. I attribute that to the longer grip to trigger length and to the fact that it "feels" like a natural extension of my hand whereas the MK feels like a very cool, neato, diminutive 9mm. It was bought primarily as a BUG and for alternate carry (when the little XD feels "too big". Perhaps a K9 is in my future and I would also entertain thoughts of an EMP or CZ-Rami (non-poly) in the future.

The XD is a much larger more comfortable gun and really can't be compared fairly with the MK. That MK is a dandy little bug though. My K40 is a little more hand filling but I still wouldn't compare it to the XD.
Glad your happy with them handles, if your ever not, you know who to get hold of. What was Jocko's number again, I gotta look it up.