PDA

View Full Version : Message Too Short

RRP
04-14-2013, 01:39 PM
This is a test, of sorts. I keep getting an error message stating that my message is too short, whenever I respond to a post.

For this post, I am trying a different browser.

Edited to Add: Ok, now I've confirmed this browser works. If others are having the same trouble, you may try switching from Firefox to another browser. For this post, I am using Chrome.

wyntrout
04-14-2013, 01:45 PM
I just went through about half an hour of that and switched to Chrome after restarting Firefox and my computer to no avail.

Wynn:)

RRP
04-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Ditto, Wynn. I patched my malware tool and ran a scan. Found nothing. Rebooting didn't help either. Chrome seems to be working fine.

The redirects continue to be a problem with Firefox. Hopefully Chrome doesn't fall prey to that, too.

jlottmc
04-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Had this problem, solution was the same. I dislike running Chrome, but that is because I can't figure out how I have ads blocked on Pandora with firefox, but not chrome. I use adblock plus for both, but the ads creep through on chrome.

Ikeo74
04-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Had this problem, solution was the same. I dislike running Chrome, but that is because I can't figure out how I have ads blocked on Pandora with firefox, but not chrome. I use adblock plus for both, but the ads creep through on chrome.
If you are answering a post by using the "quote" old message you have to click your courser at the end of the "quote" at the end of the very last sentanse in the old quote or you will get the "message too short" every time. Start your new post at the end or better yet put your courser there first and hit enter to go to a new line.
Try it now by quoting this message and start typing your reply after the end of this line, and after the [quote] box.

RRP
04-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Even with Chrome, many of the tools in the menu of the "Reply to Thread" window are disabled.

For instance, Smilies, Font Color, Attachment tool, etc are not active. The same holds true for most of the tools in the second row of the menu.

wyntrout
04-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Not working here, either!

Well, it's nap time, anyhow! I'll try some other time!

Wynn:) A manual smile worked : + )

Copy and paste of smilies doesn't work either!:frown:

RRP
04-14-2013, 02:47 PM
I dislike running Chrome, but that is because I can't figure out how I have ads blocked on Pandora with firefox, but not chrome. I use adblock plus for both, but the ads creep through on chrome.

I use AdBlock with Firefox. I just downloaded and installed AdBlock for Chrome. It seems to be working fine. Here's the link to the free version that I'm using.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

wyntrout
04-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Since switching to Windows 7 Pro, I haven't tried to enable all of that stuff. I don't know why today is "different", but I'm glad that I finally got my taxes done and into the mail yesterday!

jlottmc
04-14-2013, 03:13 PM
I wasn't quoting anything. I have also never had a problem quoting before.

RevRay
04-14-2013, 04:52 PM
This is being sent from my iPhone. I had the "short message" notice on my computer also. But also, the "Quick Links" drop-down do not come down on either my iPhone or computer.

RRP
04-14-2013, 04:58 PM
But also, the "Quick Links" drop-down do not come down on either my iPhone or computer.

Same here. I'm not seeing the drop-down menu either. I typically use QuickLinks to access Today's Posts, but that's not showing up anymore. Even with Chrome.

wyntrout
04-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Well, this sure sucks. I'm not familiar with Chrome... used it a few times when I had problems here with Firefox.

I was writing a "book" about reloading and found that all text after a few paragraphs was gone and I couldn't change or add anything with Firefox.

It seems I'm pretty limited now. I'll try advanced and see if I can add pictures. Adding an image worked and I manually copied the flag waving smilie and put it inside http://www.kahrtalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif
Then I tried the tongue out. There are some work arounds, but a PITA!

http://www.kahrtalk.com/images/smilies/smiley-waving-us-flag.gif

wyntrout
04-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Another test with Chrome. I can't use the menu items above.

This one reminds me of Bawanna!:D

Bawanna
04-14-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm not experiencing any of this bad stuff, everything seems to be normal. Still using firefox, I never used Chrome, prefer to leave that on bumpers and car parts.

Wonder why we all aren't messed up equally. Maybe for once I'm the normal one, no way, that ain't never gonna happen.

This is in the tech section so Johnh or Justin should see it. If they can't fix it, it can't be fixed.

If your relying on me, we're all doomed.

RRP
04-15-2013, 01:03 AM
I just logged on using Firefox. I am able to read all threads, but I cannot post. No matter how much text I type in my reply, I keep getting the same error: Message Too Short.

So, I logged off and came back on using Chrome. I am able to read all threads, and I can post. However the toolbar in the reply window is not active. My replies are limited to plain text, since all the bells and whistles are disabled.

Unlike Wynn, I'm not smart enough to manually post emoticons, or I would insert one right here. --->

Apparently this doesn't affect all Firefox users, as reported by Bawanna. We must be using different versions. I'm using the most recent release--20.0.1. That version has worked well until now. It is configured to accept cookies, but clears them each time I close the browser. I do not accept 3rd party cookies. These are the same configuration settings I've used for several years, without any problems.

Judging by the limited number of posts in the last 12 hours, I'm guessing this problem is affecting more than a few users. They can't stand up to be counted, because they can't post.

yqtszhj
04-15-2013, 07:29 AM
I can't attach any pictures and the smiley's are't working either. I'm using Safari on a macbook. It's always worked before. Reset safari, cleared all cache and cookies, restarted computer and it still don't work. It just does nothing whether I'm quick reply, advanced, or quoting.

JFootin
04-15-2013, 07:44 AM
OK. I installed Chrome and added ADBLOCK to it (thanks RRP!). Smilies don't work. Tools menu doesn't work. Now, let's see if I can post this...

johnh
04-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Sorry guys, hosting company is working on a VBSEO issue and there may be intermittent outages during this. I will let you know when they are finished.

wyntrout
04-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Thanks, John. I know you're trying!

TheTman
04-15-2013, 09:03 AM
It is happening with Internet Explorer 10 too.

RevRay
04-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Sorry guys, hosting company is working on a VBSEO issue and there may be intermittent outages during this. I will let you know when they are finished.

Oh ... a VBSEO issue. Well, then, say no more. They mess everything up all the time.

OldLincoln
04-15-2013, 01:35 PM
You guys must have overloaded tjr buffers at the NSA, HS, CIA, FBI, and Obamas secret clacdestine forces - you know, the ones sworn to kill Americans.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

jeepster09
04-15-2013, 04:39 PM
I couldn't post with AOL had to use my "CHROME" [bumpers....] can't post any smileys though....

RRP
04-15-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm in good company. It appears there are lots of folks affected by this. Good luck to the tech crew who has to figure this out.

JFootin
04-15-2013, 07:03 PM
I briefly saw a problem on the Walther Forum last night using Firefox: hundreds of the same little image were all over the place. I haven't tried to post on another forum since this began. Here (home), I am using Chrome and can only post plain text. And I am using Chrome for all of my Forum surfing now.

OldLincoln
04-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Testing testing testing testing from tapitalk

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

skyranch
04-17-2013, 10:10 AM
FYI ...

I had the same problem. I was using IE 9. Tried to respond to a post with Chrome and it worked.

MW surveyor
04-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Are we there yet?

Whoa! Looks like the problem has been solved? If so, way to go :amflag:

My thanks to all of the people working on this problem!

Tinman507
04-17-2013, 02:45 PM
things appear back to normal here (as normal as Kahrtalk ever gets)

Thanks johnh for getting this fixed.
:Amflag2:

7shot
04-17-2013, 02:56 PM
looks like it has been fixed at my end too...

RRP
04-17-2013, 02:59 PM
Kudos to the tech crew for figuring this out. I am able to reply using Firefox, with full functionality of the reply menu options. The QuickLinks drop-down menu has been restored, too. Good work!

Bawanna
04-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Oh happy day!

I never really had any issues for once. I don't feel the least bit left out except all of you guys not being able to post it was pretty quiet and lonely.

Sage
04-17-2013, 03:14 PM
I haven't been able to post for three days....this is a test...

RRP
04-17-2013, 03:14 PM
I haven't been able to post for three days....this is a test...

You passed!

Congratulations.

RevRay
04-17-2013, 03:24 PM
I'm glad the menus are fixed. I used them a lot.

JFootin
04-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Yeah! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::c heer2:

I just noticed, the "Post Icons" are out of whack with the green smily and the pink smily duplicated.

wyntrout
04-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Testing! Yay! :amflag:

Great! Stuff works!http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/web/2013/03/130319-F-IC265-071.jpg
A Sniper Pod sits under the wing of a B-52H Stratofortress March 19, 2013, on Barksdale Air Force Base, La. The new Sniper Pod has been integrated into the B-52 and gives aircrew increased targeting accuracy and radar capabilities. (U.S. Air Force photo/Staff Sgt. Jason McCasland)

LASER targeting pod for B52... first photo I saw in emails.

RevRay
04-17-2013, 07:50 PM
I'm glad the menus are fixed. I used them a lot.

I just noticed I forgot to say thank you ... but I don't know who I should say thank you to.

BucketBack
04-18-2013, 11:08 AM
This is a test post

07Dually
04-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Are Private Messages fixed too?

Bawanna
04-18-2013, 11:41 AM
I believe so. I was getting a lot of empty messages but now they are coming through so I assume all is well.

Gold stars to Johnh once again.

07Dually
04-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Good. Mine were empty too. I just sent one so I'll see if I get a reply.
Thank you for the reply.
And thank you to those who fixed it.

Glock23
04-18-2013, 12:21 PM
This is a test post

Improper (lack of) punctuation... you get a B-.

Tinman507
04-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Cut him some slack. He's got his period.:eek:

Bawanna
04-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Hello IT dept, you got it, send over another keyboard. Tinman sent a mouthful of coffee spurting out of my nose. Wouldn't be so bad but the Peppermint Schnapps kind of stings on exit.

Not my fault.