PDA

View Full Version : .22 and.45 1911s

HappyCamper
04-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Like others has said, I too always wanted a 1911 since I was a kid watching Combat. Now as an adult I truly appreciate the elegance of this firearm. I want to acquire a relatively similar pair of 1911s, one in .22 for "training" and less expensive shooting; and the .45, first of all to have one, and to shoot when I have the bucks to burn through ammo. I have done some looking on line. I do realize they aren't going to be exactly alike nor will they shoot exactly alike but mainly I'm trying to teach my brain and hands for the feel of the gun, the sights, trigger pull, etc to be as natural as possible for me.
As much as I'd like to have Colts I probably can't go that route due to expense. Of course I looked at Auto-ordinance but I didn't see any .22s. I do know there are "conversion kits" for different brands but I'd rather have two separate guns. I'm hoping to spend a grand or less.
Quite frankly, as much as I have been interested in firearms all my life, I realize I know so little after hanging out on these forums. Your thoughts are truly appreciated.

Bawanna
04-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Bud's has Tisa's (made in Turkey) for 400 bucks. They have very good reviews and they have sold a ton of them. I think I heard that they aren't completely milspec so upgrading or swapping stuff might be iffy.
I'd look at a Rock Island, not sure if you can get one of those for 400 anymore or not, used to be able to.

Lot's of 22's out there in a broad price range. GSG I'm told is decent, Browning makes an excellent one but it's on the higher end of the scale.

Tons of choices out there.

yqtszhj
04-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Like Bawanna said the GSG .22 is pretty good from the reviews I have read. I was gonna get one but picket up an officers size .45 instead.

My oldest son just picket up a full size Citadel .45 (made by Armscor just like Rock Island) for $435 at a local gun shop. It already had extended beavertail, Novak style sights, nice hammer and trigger, nice finish, etc... Then he shot 250 rounds of my ammo to break it in. It ran good.

I think Buds has them but I don't know if they can ship to your state. After you get it you can put some nice Bawanna grips on it.

HappyCamper
04-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Interestingly enough I believe I looked at a GSG .22 at a gun shop. Our local farm supply store has a nice selection of guns and I'm pretty sure they have the Citadel .45. I think they have the Citadel in a 1911 .22 also.
Just looking at Bud's, I see the GSGs. I believe the afore mentioned farm supply has the Sig Sauer for $409
I have yet to order any firearms but I do have a local shop that would probably do the receiving for me. I can check with him sooner or later.
Gives me something to think about. Thanks for the replies.

Bootlegger
04-20-2013, 05:28 AM
I have a Sig 1911-22 and it is a great little gun. I believe its made by GSG and Sig puts their "stamp of approval" on it. Will post pics when I get home. Wanna see size next to CM9?

MW surveyor
04-20-2013, 10:58 AM
HappyCamper-

I know from your original post that you are looking for two guns one in 45 (1911) and the other in 22 and that is great if you don't have another 22 pistol.

If you really want to get used to the trigger of your 45, reconsider getting an upper conversion kit for it. I use an Advantage Arms conversion kit on my 1911 for initial practice then swap back over to the 45 slide to continue the joy of seeing nice big holes in the target. Trigger and grips remain the same throughout.

PS- In addition to the Advantage Arms conversion kit, I have four (4) more 22 pistols. Each one different from the other.

HappyCamper
04-20-2013, 12:11 PM
HappyCamper-
If you really want to get used to the trigger of your 45, reconsider getting an upper conversion kit for it. I use an Advantage Arms conversion kit on my 1911 for initial practice then swap back over to the 45 slide to continue the joy of seeing nice big holes in the target. Trigger and grips remain the same throughout.
I had thought about that, and it's hard to argue with the wisdom. I am not familiar with what conversion kit goes with what gun. I'll take a look at the brands you talked about.
Yeah, have a .22 pistol my dad left me, heavy barrel Hi-standard. Great shooter plus the sentimental value.

CJB
04-20-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm not going to be apologetic. I don't like zamac guns. Most of those "22 1911's" are zamac.

I opted for an all steel conversion top end from Tac-Sol.

No, it doesn't quite look "all 1911", but it works great, and is more accurate than just about anything out there on a 1911 frame that shoots .22's (except for the old Kart conversion, which the Tac-Sol is a knock off of).

Then again, the Tac-Sol top end is more expensive than any of the other 22 1911 complete guns. You get what you pay for.

MW surveyor
04-20-2013, 03:28 PM
CJB
My Advantage Arms upper is all steel and it did cost as much as one of those less expensive full 1911 22 zamac pistols!

HappyCamper
Just to let you know Advantage Arms makes two types of uppers for the full size 1911s. "Regular" and "Target". I have the Target model. The only differences between the two are the manner in which the barrel mounts and the sights. The Regular barrel is held in place using the take down pin where the Target is held to the take down pin using a clamping type system. Takes all of about 60 seconds to convert either way.

CJB
04-20-2013, 05:16 PM
AA is another close clone to the old Kart conversion.

Salty
04-20-2013, 05:19 PM
I recommend you look at a Kimber 1911 and a Kimber 22 lr 1911 conversion kit. They work well together and will give you a quality experience at a reasonable price.

HappyCamper
04-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Wow, Thanks all for the replies! I got busy this weekend and just now checked in. Lots of good info.

gb6491
04-22-2013, 02:24 AM
My Advantage Arms upper is all steel and it did cost as much as one of those less expensive full 1911 22 zamac pistols!...
I didn't think Advantage Arms made an all steel upper. Granted the one I have is for a G27, but it has an aluminum slide with a steel insert where it locks back.

Speaking of aluminum slides, that's what my Kimber conversion has (been very pleased with it):
http://i46.tinypic.com/300qtc0.jpg
Marvel also makes a very good and extremely accurate conversion for the 1911 (these also have aluminum slides).
Regards,
Greg