PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville, FL

wyntrout
04-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Hi. I just wanted to invite members in the area to our garage sale this Friday and Saturday. I would like to meet some of the members in our area.

Link to online ad:

http://secure.adpay.com/The%20Florida%20Times-Union/10152145/clicknbuy.aspx?networkview=False&catid=6249&pcatid=Merchandise&procid=382bfb39-a0c9-460d-a696-c08f0b58c540&region=2064

I'll be the old dude that's yakking and the young lady who's watching and selling our stuff is my wife.

I hope the weather isn't all bad, but we'll be open rain or shine because we use the garage for most stuff. The residents along our street have been invited to participate, so there should be a few others, depending on the weather.

Wynn:)

JohnR
04-30-2013, 09:58 AM
I'll drop by if we can. Your link is a secured site, and doesn't work for us.

wyntrout
04-30-2013, 10:16 AM
Okay... I'll go online with jacksonville.com and go to the classified ads... garage sale.

Thanks, John. I would love to meet a fellow KT member. I hope that I'm not still hopping around trying to label stuff!

Wynn:D

wyntrout
04-30-2013, 10:20 AM
I think the new link might work now. I opened a "private window" on FireFox to go to jacksonville.com classifieds.

http://secure.adpay.com/The%20Florida%20Times-Union/10152145/clicknbuy.aspx?networkview=False&catid=6249&pcatid=Merchandise&procid=382bfb39-a0c9-460d-a696-c08f0b58c540&region=2064

Bawanna
04-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Worked for me. I can't believe your parting with your Springer.

I'm a little out of visiting distance, about as far out as I can get actually.

Hope the sale goes well for you.

wyntrout
04-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks, Bawanna. I have a month's worth of work to do to get ready for the sale and I usually wait until Wednesday night, then put it off to the next morning and at the end of the first day of the sale, I'll still be labeling stuff and remembering stuff I forgot to put out!:rolleyes:

The 1911 IS my only real "Safe Queen"... that's where it was... in its box.

I thought about listing things on here, but it will be so much easier just to sell them at the sale and not have to ask or pay for shipping and fees.

I feel more guilty about the K9... and a little about the TPH, but I really don't use them and would rather replace some of the huge amount of money that I diverted from household use. I figure that the guns and a wee bit of ammo will help get more people to the sale, too. Wifey has been pretty uncomplaining about my expenditures... says she trusts me.:rolleyes: Yeah... remember your Mother saying that and suing that subtle guilt thing?

JFootin
04-30-2013, 11:52 AM
I've always wanted a TPH, but cannot justify the expenditure. It would be a safe queen and range toy, but wouldn't be added to my SD rotation. And SD is the #1 reason for my gun collection.

I've always liked how small the TPH is. Heck, if you are going to go to a small caliber, it ought to be in a tiny gun. I like the clean lines, too. One would have to be dilligent to avoid slide bite, though. Ouch! :hurt:

I've about decided that, if I get a micro gun, it will be in 25acp, the round invented by John Browning especially for micros. A Baby Browning or clone, or a Colt Junior.

And I have decided that, if I get something in 22 caliber, it will be a rifle in order to maximize the effectiveness of the round and take advantage of it's accuracy.

wyntrout
04-30-2013, 12:05 PM
I carried it for about a decade... until the P380 came out... then I had to wait another 11 months for one with night sights! The P380 actually weighs a few grams less loaded than the TPH loaded with Stingers. And the +P Gold Dots... Speer or Underwood... outperform a snubby .38... for me, anyhow!

The slide is very sharp and likes to punish the unwary. I had to have a PPK/S and it was kind of the same... sold it in a garage sale along with a lot of other pistols well over a decade ago.

I still have to decide what pistol I'll wear... or carry... for the sale... since I'll be selling firearms. I wish that I had one of those clear-topped display cases, but am planning to take 8x10's of each pistol for display and bring the pistol(s) out for serious interest. I do have surveillance cameras, too.

I forgot... I'll just print those pix I put in the online ad.

JohnR
04-30-2013, 12:21 PM
You're not far from us, I may have to swing by there and say hi.

Who the heck is Mireille Mathieu?

wyntrout
04-30-2013, 12:39 PM
She's a French singer that I "discovered" while stationed in West Germany back in 1983-1986. She sings in a bunch of languages and is incredible. She's about my age now... approaching 67!

I drove all over Europe listening to cassettes of her music that I made from her LPs.

This is from the CD I bought online through Amazon from a German company. I love Internet shopping! I paid about $25 back in 2004 and now I see prices from $79.99 to over $1,200 at Amazon!

http://www.europopmusic.eu/Images/France_images/Mathieu_images/Mathieu_MMChanteNoel_2004.jpg

She's petite but has quite a set of vocal chords!

https://www.google.com/search?q=mireille+mathieu&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

French singer Mireille Mathieu (2nd L) is congratulated after being awarded 'Officier de la legion d'honneur' (Officer of Legion of Honor) by French President Nicolas Sarkozy (2nd R) on January 26, 2011 at the Elysee Palace in Paris.

http://netstorage.metrolyrics.com/artists/large/8182/mireille-mathieu-French-singer-Mireille-Mathieu-2nd-L-is-congratulated-af-108358345.jpg

AJBert
04-30-2013, 07:31 PM
If I were still at Mayport I'd come and see you and the missus, but being in LA now it is a bit of a drive.

wyntrout
05-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the thought, anyhow. I don't think I'll ever visit the "Left" coast again. The Atlantic is a little warmer down here. The beaches were beautiful out there, but the water was always cold! Then there are all of those Leftist Liberals and wackos... isn't the latter a political party out there?

downtownv
05-01-2013, 10:59 AM
She's a French singer that I "discovered" while stationed in West Germany back in 1983-1986. She sings in a bunch of languages and is incredible. She's about my age now... approaching 67!

I drove all over Europe listening to cassettes of her music that I made from her LPs.

This is from the CD I bought online through Amazon from a German company. I love Internet shopping! I paid about $25 back in 2004 and now I see prices from $79.99 to over $1,200 at Amazon!

http://www.europopmusic.eu/Images/France_images/Mathieu_images/Mathieu_MMChanteNoel_2004.jpg

She's petite but has quite a set of vocal chords!

https://www.google.com/search?q=mireille+mathieu&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

French singer Mireille Mathieu (2nd L) is congratulated after being awarded 'Officier de la legion d'honneur' (Officer of Legion of Honor) by French President Nicolas Sarkozy (2nd R) on January 26, 2011 at the Elysee Palace in Paris.

http://netstorage.metrolyrics.com/artists/large/8182/mireille-mathieu-French-singer-Mireille-Mathieu-2nd-L-is-congratulated-af-108358345.jpg

PM sent
and.... Did Sarkosy hit on that? figured if this was before the hot wife he probaly did a clinton with her, Just Sayin':001_tt2:

downtownv
05-01-2013, 11:26 AM
I've always wanted a TPH, but cannot justify the expenditure. It would be a safe queen and range toy, but wouldn't be added to my SD rotation. And SD is the #1 reason for my gun collection.

I've always liked how small the TPH is. Heck, if you are going to go to a small caliber, it ought to be in a tiny gun. I like the clean lines, too. One would have to be dilligent to avoid slide bite, though. Ouch! :hurt:

I've about decided that, if I get a micro gun, it will be in 25acp, the round invented by John Browning especially for micros. A Baby Browning or clone, or a Colt Junior.

And I have decided that, if I get something in 22 caliber, it will be a rifle in order to maximize the effectiveness of the round and take advantage of it's accuracy.

I have a 1910 baby browning fn 32 cal never fired it:o

Bawanna
05-01-2013, 11:50 AM
I had a mint Baby Browning, (long sad story)

Now I got a Colt Vest Pocket, not quite as mint but shoots good and belonged to a departed Uncle so worth something.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN3671.jpg (http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/hopke5/media/DSCN3671.jpg.html)

Bawanna
05-01-2013, 12:49 PM
I have a 1910 baby browning fn 32 cal never fired it:o

Wow, the one I had looked just like my Colt, just said Browning on it.
They do call what you have a Baby Browning too, I looked. Interesting.

downtownv
05-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Wow, the one I had looked just like my Colt, just said Browning on it.
They do call what you have a Baby Browning too, I looked. Interesting.
Its Stamped FN on the grips On the slide:
Fabrique Nationle D'ArmesGuerre Herstal Bellgique
Brownings Patent
I had it for 25 years and recently brought it to my smith, who cleaned and polished it up
Not a clue what it's worth.....

Bawanna
05-01-2013, 01:04 PM
A lot probably.

The one I had was purchased at the Bon Marche for 32.50 in the 60's. Still had the original purchase receipt and it included a holster and carry pouch.

A friends father left it to me but friend gave it to me not telling me it was his fathers wish. Then he whined about giving it to me. So I gave it (very reluctantly) back to him.

He later told my son it was his dad's wish. Had I known that I would not have felt guilty and I would never have given it back.

Mine was valued at 750 bucks.

The Colt I got from my aunt, I told her I'd make payments but she insisted on just what I had on me so she got 190 bucks and change.

JFootin
05-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Bawanna, yours is referred to as the Vest Pocket. The one I'm talking about is this one, which has the long safety lever that slides behind the left grip and it doesn't have a grip safety.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_CyaGIyFRUUY/TM3qK9RWQII/AAAAAAAAAEk/TK7xoiOT5zM/s1600/FN_Browning_Baby_.jpeg

I had a nicely made clone, a PSP 25, decades ago. Wish I still had it.

Bawanna
05-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Get your glass's checked ole buddy, reread my post, that's what I called my Colt. Vest Pocket.

The Browning I had was exactly like the picture in your post.

Prit near the same size and all, just little different in the controls.

AJBert
05-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the thought, anyhow. I don't think I'll ever visit the "Left" coast again. The Atlantic is a little warmer down here. The beaches were beautiful out there, but the water was always cold! Then there are all of those Leftist Liberals and wackos... isn't the latter a political party out there?

That would be LA as in the state of Louisiana, not that city on the left coast! I spent about 9 1/2 years in that commie state while in the Navy and will never go back.

I was stationed in Mayport from 2005-2007 until I went off to Iraq and retired shortly after my return. And I do agree with EVERYTHING you stated about that place.

wyntrout
05-01-2013, 08:13 PM
I was in the Vidalia area last October... went to my Natchez HS 48th annual class reunion... every year now, and coincides with the Balloon Festival. We chased balloons over into Vidalia and then went to the flea market, fair-like thingie on the south side of the town next to the levee. I went to high school in Natchez and used to get over to Louisiana quite a bit. There was a favorite grocery/liquor store there... could buy wine and beer if you could reach the counter with money!:D The good old days... remember buying a 1/2 bottle of Gallo Tokay for 25¢ and then going to the Dairy Queen back in Natchez and buying a big cup of ice and a straw for 5¢. That wine went down so fast after pouring it over the ice and sucking it up with a straw! Then you could start drinking!

wyntrout
05-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Well, the garage sale was pretty much a bust! I showed the TPH a few times... the lowest priced and smallest pistol caught a few women's eyes. I told them it wasn't a "ladies' gun" and they needed the strength to work the action... and the safety and slide are kind of sharp for soft hands.

The one I really showed the most was my EDC... PM45 "Boomer". I got to talk to a lot of guys... and a few gals... about CCW and good guns for that... the best part of the garage sale.

Today the clouds cleared up and it's bright and sunny now. Friday was very windy and rainy off and on. Saturday was the worst... more wind and even more rain during the day... miserable.

I did a few good deeds with ammo offers and helped numerous people who had none or little. I priced my ammo high enough that no one wanted to grab it ALL up, but not too much over MY replacement cost. I put a mix of everything out for customers' convenience. I wasn't trying to make any money, nor trying to get rid of any of my supply!

I even broke down a box and almost a half of the the Federal VP525 into 100-round bags for $8... only about twice my cost... not the "usual" 5 to 6 times "regular" Walmart prices. I did sell some of the CCI Subsonic segmented HP for $10 a box of 50 and I sold one lady a box of the Remington 100-rd Subsonic HP for $10, taking $5 off my marked price.