PDA

View Full Version : Danger: Malware Ahead!

Barth
06-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Google Chrome is blocking me from Kahrtalk
due to content from www.googlecodehosting.org (http://www.googlecodehosting.org)
a known malware distrubutor has been inserted into this web page
Visiting this page now is very likely to infect your computer.

Had to install and run FireFox to get to forum.

PLease be advised.

Also FirFox is nearly as slow as IE.
I've got a need for speed and Chrome has it.

UPDATE 6-18:
Still on this issue. We are being targeted by a determined bunch. :( Gun sites are popular with hackers these days.

ltxi
06-15-2013, 06:14 PM
buts firfox wrk gud

Ugly_Dog
06-15-2013, 06:37 PM
had to break out the old EXPLORER!

ltxi
06-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Never had one of them...I was always a Chevy Blazer kinda guy.

Ugly_Dog
06-15-2013, 07:03 PM
:) !

Buzzard45
06-16-2013, 05:19 AM
had to break out the old EXPLORER!

got an old explorer, runs great so long as i keep pedaling. never tried chrome, like stainless:rolleyes:

Barth
06-16-2013, 07:25 AM
I'm spoiled by supercharged internet access with Chrome.
Can't go back to walking, when I can run...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/MadMaxCar/100_2520.jpg

Armybrat
06-16-2013, 08:44 AM
One would think that the NSA snoopers could find the criminals who generate the malware/virus crap and nuke them with a drone.

JohnR
06-16-2013, 09:25 AM
One would think that the NSA snoopers could find the criminals who generate the malware/virus crap and nuke them with a drone.

The NSA may be the ones malwaring us!

codegeek
06-16-2013, 09:31 AM
This happens when Google detects malware in advertisements.

MW surveyor
06-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Barth, that blower has to suck some bugs at WOT!

Armybrat
06-16-2013, 04:35 PM
The NSA may be the ones malwaring us!

Wouldn't doubt it at all.

nuke
06-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Ditto with not being able to use Chrome to get here. Had to use Exploder... I mean, Explorer.

ltxi
06-16-2013, 05:28 PM

We could, but where be the fun in that? Long as we're not being bothered. Keeps the Luddites busy.

nate39
06-17-2013, 06:07 AM
Starting a few days ago, when I try to go to this site Chrome gives me a warning that this site is going to give me malware! Is there some way you guys can fix this?

johnh
06-17-2013, 06:43 AM
I am on it, hackers have hit our banner software.

JustinN
06-17-2013, 07:43 AM
The Malware issue is being addressed. Gives us a bit of time and it should be corrected soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Armybrat
06-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Yeah, I'm still gettin' "Malicious URL Blocked" warning popups from my Avast on every page I click here. :86:

Bawanna
06-17-2013, 09:48 AM
I just now got the pop up attack warning too.

Communist pinko ****.

JFootin
06-17-2013, 09:48 AM
I am using AdBlock to block the banners, so I haven't been bothered. I'm using Chrome for it's speed, but I keep my huge collection of bookmarks in Firefox. A huge collection of bookmarks will slow down any explorer, but Firefox has gotten extra slow lately. It errs playing videos that run fine in Chrome.

JFootin
06-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Hey guys, I use AdBock to block the banner ads and I haven't had a problem. I'm using Chrome and Firefox.

TN_Mike
06-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Firefox is alerting and blacklisting the site as well now.

johnh
06-17-2013, 11:22 AM
The issue should be resolved and I have sent a review request to Google. Hopefully the block is removed soon.

johnh
06-17-2013, 12:43 PM
The hosting company says it has been fixed, but it will take some time for Google to review that. I will post here when they give us the all-clear.

Longitude Zero
06-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Maybe there is something to be said in favor of Internet Explorer. I never got any boffo messages.

ltxi
06-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Hey guys, I use AdBock to block the banner ads and I haven't had a problem. I'm using Chrome and Firefox.

x2 w/firefox here

JohnR
06-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Tapatalk has remained fine too.

Barth
06-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the fast response.
I'm spoiled by Google Chrome.
No other browser I've tried comes close in speed.

Looks like All's Clear...
http://primawan.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/florida-beach-sunrise.jpg

ltxi
06-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Gots no speed issues with FF. Won't touch Chrome 'cause it's Google. Won't touch Google 'cause of privacy issues.

Barth
06-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Gots no speed issues with FF. Won't touch Chrome 'cause it's Google. Won't touch Google 'cause of privacy issues.

Understand your issue with Google.
But I had to load and run FF with this problem.
Chrome smokes FF in no uncertain terms.
It's not even a contest.
And IE is a joke (not a good one either).

With all things even I'll take issues like that as a tie breaker.
But they aren't.
And I can't wait.

mr surveyor
06-17-2013, 07:48 PM
I'm running windoze 7 and i.e., with avg av s/w .... I've been getting alerts for a couple of days and have avoided k.t.

I hope it's cleared up now .... I can't afford to lose another computer like a couple of years ago...

O'Dell
06-17-2013, 10:22 PM
Understand your issue with Google.
But I had to load and run FF with this problem.
Chrome smokes FF in no uncertain terms.
It's not even a contest.
And IE is a joke (not a good one either).

With all things even I'll take issues like that as a tie breaker.
But they aren't.
And I can't wait.

There's another alternative. I've been running 'Pale Moon' for some time now. It's a stripped down version of FF that's faster, but will still run all the add-on's and Plug-in's for FF. It is only available for recent Windows versions and only supports English. I could never use Chrome because I download a lot of videos and Chrome has no support for this, or at least it didn't when I last looked.

johnh
06-18-2013, 06:42 AM
Still on this issue. We are being targeted by a determined bunch. :( Gun sites are popular with hackers these days.

pinehtr
06-18-2013, 11:44 AM
A couple of weeks ago I got some type of malware virus I'm sure came from this site. Now when I open up this site Norton is giving a warning a virus is
present. I clicked on a previous thread about this with another warning.
I'm sure the problem is being addressed. I Cant really click non a thread
with a virus being blocked by Norton.

DeeDubya
06-18-2013, 01:22 PM
My Avast goes nuts on this site, on this thread. Huh!

JFootin
06-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Yeah, Chrome prevented me from entering the forum this morning. Boy, it doesn't give you an option to bypass the warning. So, I am on Firefox now. It warns about the Google flag, but lets you ignore it. Google probably won't be in a hurry about removing the block.

jg rider
06-18-2013, 03:02 PM
For the last 2 days when I get an mail about a thread I subscribed to and click on it I get this maleware warning

"Reported Attack Page!

This web page at www.kahrtalk.com (http://www.kahrtalk.com) has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners."

And when I get out of that, I'm taken to this site:

https://www.stopbadware.org/firefox?hl=en-US&url=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.kahrtalk.com%252Fshowth read.php%253Fp%253D248024%2523post248024

This is the only site that this happens to me. All my settings haven't changed

ltxi
06-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Thanks, John. I'm working with/around it.

ltxi
06-18-2013, 04:37 PM
There's already a several day old, open thread on this issue.

O'Dell
06-19-2013, 12:06 AM
It got me for the first time today. Of course I can ignore the warning and enter, but it's troubling.

johnh
06-19-2013, 07:00 AM
I have repeatedly requested Google to review the site and remove it. I don't know what more to do at this point, the site is clean.

jg rider
06-19-2013, 08:43 AM
Ca someone explain what Google thinks it' doing. How can they decide what is maleware if I'm not going through their site. I mean I'm going through FF to get to Kahr Talk, or clicking on a link in my email. Not doing a Google search How did Google get involved.
I'd really appreciate an education.

Thanx from a not to bright, John

Oh ! Is there a way to keep the font size to stay larger as a default.for us older folk ?

dkmatthews
06-19-2013, 12:10 PM
I have repeatedly requested Google to review the site and remove it. I don't know what more to do at this point, the site is clean.

John, Google is reporting that it last reviewed the site on 6/19 (today) and that it found malware. See the screenshot, below:
http://s2.postimg.org/94r367nnd/Screenshot_from_2013_06_19_14_06_59.png

jg rider
06-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Ok, not knowing anything about the internet, could the fact that the ad banners at the top of the page look and act weird have something to do with this ?

What I mean is, while I was reading the previous post There was 1 banner for Tommy gun .com, 2 banners for Mitch Rosen and 3 banner the kep changing for Crimson Trace.
While typing this there was 3 banners for Tommy Gun.com, 2 side by side for cross bred holster, and 1 for Mitch Rosen. These arrangements keep changing with each click to a different page.

It seems to me that there are multiple ad banners side by side on the same page.

I'm just saying, John the know nothing

oops ! Now there's 5 Tommy Guns .com banners, 3 www xs sights and 1flicking Crimson trace

ltxi
06-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Ok, not knowing anything about the internet, could the fact that the ad banners at the top of the page look and act weird have something to do with this ?

What I mean is, while I was reading the previous post There was 1 banner for Tommy gun .com, 2 banners for Mitch Rosen and 3 banner the kep changing for Crimson Trace.
While typing this there was 3 banners for Tommy Gun.com, 2 side by side for cross bred holster, and 1 for Mitch Rosen. These arrangements keep changing with each click to a different page.

It seems to me that there are multiple ad banners side by side on the same page.

I'm just saying, John the know nothing

oops ! Now there's 5 Tommy Guns .com banners, 3 www xs sights and 1flicking Crimson trace

Firefox with adblock with a us filter subscription and your life will become serene. :hippie:

jdlott74
06-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Jlottmc and I are still getting it on Google Chrome and Firefox as well.

Armybrat
06-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Well, mine ain't gettin' any more malware popup blocked warnings.

yqtszhj
06-19-2013, 10:55 PM
I say it's black helicopters.... really.

To get around all of this in Safari I had to disable "Fraudulent Site" warnings under preferences.

jg rider
06-20-2013, 07:19 AM
Well, mine ain't gettin' any more malware popup blocked warnings.

Neither am I.
Thanx John, John

MW surveyor
06-20-2013, 07:28 AM
Well, Firefox finally let me onto the site this morning. Hope that it continues to be clean.

Micha2u
06-20-2013, 07:39 AM
Ditto here...Firefox finally let me get to Kahrtalk.com this morning.

BucketBack
06-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Ditto here...Firefox finally let me get to Kahrtalk.com this morning.

yep :amflag:

JohnR
06-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Chrome let me in!

Tinman507
06-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Johnh,

I'm good to go getting with no malware warning but I get this when I log in:

Could not find phrase 'invalid_redirect_url_x'. I'm on Firefox.

Just an inconvenience, not stopping anything. Just FYI

Thanks for all your hard work getting this straight.

Barth
06-20-2013, 03:53 PM
FF failed yesterday as well as Chrome.
Now I can finally get back in.

For now....

Site is still acting funny on paging and requires sporadic screen refresh?

ltxi
06-20-2013, 07:52 PM
I say it's black helicopters.... really.

To get around all of this in Safari I had to disable "Fraudulent Site" warnings under preferences.

Them there 'choppers are IR suppressive dark green, dude Not Black. Where you been?? :spider:

kwh
06-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Back today after 2 days Nortons& firefox

Barth
06-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Seems like we are having sporadic problems still.
I can get in for now...

Posting and page refresh still has issues though.
Not sure Kahr War Z is done yet.

johnh
06-21-2013, 10:03 AM
I am not aware of any issues at this point. The only software affected was the banner software. Other than update it and remove the modified files, the forum has not been changed.

ltxi
06-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Webroot's Spysweeper just thew up on me/KT. Seems KT now be in their bad places definitions database. Easy to get around, but it is in there.

JohnR
06-21-2013, 03:27 PM
I have to log in every time I come here now, even if the "remember me" box is checked. KT has Alzheimers. Every other forum remembers me, though many probably wish I'd stay away.

Barth
06-22-2013, 09:52 AM
I'm ok for now.
But it's been touch and go for days.

I run Windows 7 64 bit with Secunia PSI & Webroot.
Have never ever had my laptop infected with anything.

I take this stuff seriously.

mr surveyor
06-25-2013, 12:45 PM
any updates on fixes for the "redirect problem"?

Bawanna
06-25-2013, 12:54 PM
I have to log in every time I come here now, even if the "remember me" box is checked. KT has Alzheimers. Every other forum remembers me, though many probably wish I'd stay away.

Mine remembers me fine at home, but at work and on my laptop I have to log in. I haven't figured it out yet but I think it's probably on our end and not kahrtalks. That stuff is way over my head.

They say the best tool against alzheimers is to try to remember stuff, I guess if we take the easy route and have the crystal ball remember everything for us that ain't gonna work.

What was the question again?

RRP
06-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Mine remembers me fine at home, but at work and on my laptop I have to log in. I haven't figured it out yet ...

Hey, Bawanna, I suspect the difference lies in your browser settings.

I would guess that the browser on your home computer is configured to accept and save cookies. The security/privacy settings on your work computer's browser probably clears cookies whenever you close the browser.

When you check the "Remember Me" box upon logon, it places a cookie on your computer. That cookie contains your login information. So the next time you visit the site, you don't have to manually log on, because the cookie contains your credentials.

Conversely, if your browser is configured to automatically clear cookies, the website won't recognize you on your next visit, so you'll have to type-in your credentials manually.

Changing the cookie settings is easy, but the steps vary with different browsers. I could walk you through the steps, if you tell me what browser you use on your laptop.

Depending on the level of network control at your workplace, you may not be able to enable the require cookie function.

JohnR
06-25-2013, 01:49 PM
I "fixed" it by finally getting around to changing the URL in my bookmark to be the one you go to when you click "new posts." Dunno why that worked but it did.

If you want to do it, hover your mouse over the New Posts button, right click, and click "copy link address." Then in your bookmark, edit the Kahr Talk bookmark by pasting in the URL box. Eeuuuw, that sounds gross, pasting in the URL box. Ok, long day, hot weather. Sorry. Where am I?

Bawanna
06-25-2013, 02:25 PM
Hey, Bawanna, I suspect the difference lies in your browser settings.

I would guess that the browser on your home computer is configured to accept and save cookies. The security/privacy settings on your work computer's browser probably clears cookies whenever you close the browser.

When you check the "Remember Me" box upon logon, it places a cookie on your computer. That cookie contains your login information. So the next time you visit the site, you don't have to manually log on, because the cookie contains your credentials.

Conversely, if your browser is configured to automatically clear cookies, the website won't recognize you on your next visit, so you'll have to type-in your credentials manually.

Changing the cookie settings is easy, but the steps vary with different browsers. I could walk you through the steps, if you tell me what browser you use on your laptop.

Depending on the level of network control at your workplace, you may not be able to enable the require cookie function.

That makes sense even to me. I won't be able to do anything at work but I should be able to do something on the lap top, maybe.

JFootin
06-25-2013, 04:35 PM
I "fixed" it by finally getting around to changing the URL in my bookmark to be the one you go to when you click "new posts." Dunno why that worked but it did.

If you want to do it, hover your mouse over the New Posts button, right click, and click "copy link address." Then in your bookmark, edit the Kahr Talk bookmark by pasting in the URL box. Eeuuuw, that sounds gross, pasting in the URL box. Ok, long day, hot weather. Sorry. Where am I?

All of my gun forum bookmarks do the New Posts search, and I have rarely had to login.