PDA

View Full Version : Steve Bedair Stainless Guide Rods

Roadblock
04-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Anyone have a Steve Bedair stainless guide rod in their KAHR?

http://guiderod.com/

There $25 dollars shipped. Thinking about getting one. I'm having some major scaring issues with one of my OEM black guide rods and reading around the stainless rods seem to be the fix because they are harder then the OEM soft crap metal the black one uses.

Do the Bedair rods require fitting? Any input would be great!

steve666
04-21-2010, 05:36 AM
1st thing I did with my K40 was put in one of these and a set of Wolff springs. Works terrific.

jocko
04-21-2010, 06:27 AM
I think kahr offers stainless guide rods even..

paintwerk
04-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Kahr does offer SS guide rods, however at $27+shipping

The Bedair guide rods are a pretty good deal at $25 shipped

I dont have either yet, but would like to upgrade mine in the near future.

Roadblock
04-21-2010, 07:29 PM
I think kahr offers stainless guide rods even..

True, KAHR does but as the guy below you said, there $27+ shipping and the Steven Bedair ones are $25.00 dollars shipped.

That said I'm a tad annoyed with KAHR because my P9 keeps chewing up OEM guide rods, I'm on my 3rd one. I emailed KAHR again and now they want me to send in the gun. After doing some Google searching I found several threads where other KAHR owners had the SAME issues and after sending there guns into KAHR, KAHR decided the issue was "normal" and told them sorry, nothing we can do, buy a stainless guide rod.

Those who did buy the stainless guide rods said it seemed to fix the issues. Sounds like the OEM black rods are soft and if the slide rubs them just right, it chews them to hell.

For the price of a KAHR, kinda bothers me they skimp on the guide rod. At the very least they could offer them free to people who do have issues but apparently, they tell you tough, buy one.

I just spoke to Steve Bedair directly, he said his guide rods are exactly the same size as the black OEM's so they are 100% drop in, no possible fitting like the KAHR's might need.

jlottmc
04-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Two bucks difference? I would get one and try it out, if it works great, if not so be it.

jocko
04-22-2010, 11:28 AM
I would buy Bedair's. Who knows he might be making um for kahr, I seriously doubt if kahr is making them..

wyntrout
04-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Two bucks difference? I would get one and try it out, if it works great, if not so be it.

With free priority shipping, that's about $8.00 cheaper. Kahr starts at $6 for up to $50, and +$2 after that.
The checkering is different... how about initials... 2, overlaid.
Wynn:D

mity2
04-22-2010, 01:59 PM
I would be happy to get them, but I have no paypal...

dademoss
04-22-2010, 05:51 PM
I ordered one for my CW9 :D

rtrider
04-22-2010, 06:46 PM
I have the Kahr stainless rod in my CW9. I replaced the original fairly early (approx 300 rds) and it was showing some wear, but no gouges. I just like the look and it supposedly provides less recoil (I can't tell the diff). I've put about 300 or so rounds on the stainless rod and it shows a little wear, less than the stock rod, but still some slight wear is visible. Still, I like the look, and overall am pleased.

Roadblock
04-22-2010, 08:02 PM
I think Paypal is just his payment processor. I assume he takes credit cards threw Paypal too.

ORSalesRep
04-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Just ordered my checkered stainless rod. I do have a paypal account, but I paid with a credit card. You do not need a paypal account to order one.

Roadblock
04-24-2010, 10:11 AM
I just ordered one too, just had to wait to get my paycheck. I can confirm what ORSalesRep said, no actual PayPal account is required to order.

Just pick your items, check out and pick to pay with VISA, MasterCard, AMX, Discover etc, pay and your done!

I've been talking to Steve Bedair via email the past couple days. Really nice guy, very helpful. Seems he had a sudden rush on KAHR guide rods too! Funny how forums work huh? ;)

ripley16
04-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Other than appearances, is there any tangible gain in shooting, other than the gun being marginally heavier, in switching to a stainless rod? I can't think of any.

Bawanna
04-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Other than appearances, is there any tangible gain in shooting, other than the gun being marginally heavier, in switching to a stainless rod? I can't think of any.

Me neither but looking cool is priority one in my book. Course I was all set to order a pretty 25 dollar rod and then saw the checkered 45 dollar rod which of course looks even cooler. I'd drop the 25 without much thought to look cool but 45 I have to think for a minute about the beating I get from the missus. The checkered one looks way cool though. That's the one for me. My wheels are turning. There should be a rule that a full grown old man that's worked hard all his life should always have 500 dollars in his pocket to play and spend how he wants at all times. Without answering to a good looking swede woman with a cast iron fry pan in her hand.

jlottmc
04-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Those cast iron pans hurt like hell don't they. I had one broke over my skull. Mom hit me and it snapped at the handle. The only other time I had seen cast iron break was when using them as a target, again right at the handle. I think that when you are old enough to legally buy handguns/alcohol, that all the money you used to use (and the premium price for such things) should be refunded to you, that should help.

Roadblock
04-24-2010, 03:37 PM

Less flex makes them slightly more reliable too. Plus they don't wear down like the factory ones?

Factory KAHR guide rod:

http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w330/ktayl0r/P1020602.jpg

Bawanna
04-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Less flex makes them slightly more reliable too. Plus they don't wear down like the factory ones?

Factory KAHR guide rod:

http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w330/ktayl0r/P1020602.jpg

Ok Ok you win, I'm ordering one. What do I tell the missus when she ask what the checkering on the front does for the extra 20? I'm thinking maybe something like it holds oil better to increase the life span and there fore I only have to buy one ever 6 months instead of every 2 months. What do you guys think?

jlottmc
04-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Bawanna, that Swede your married to must like to swing that frying pan, of course you seem to like it too. I'm still clueless about the checkering though.

Roadblock
04-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Ok Ok you win, I'm ordering one. What do I tell the missus when she ask what the checkering on the front does for the extra 20? I'm thinking maybe something like it holds oil better to increase the life span and there fore I only have to buy one ever 6 months instead of every 2 months. What do you guys think?

Micro Tactical Meat Tenderizer.... If your ever stranded in the woods and you have to kill and eat some random little critter, you can use it to tenderize the meat first.

Lucky for me, my wife doesn't know guns well enough to well one from the other. Although I sold my Kimber Stainless (about a $1000 dollars 1911) and bought a black Wilson CQB (about $2500 with the options I picked) and when she noticed and asked about it I just told her I painted it with some bake on color stuff and she said, "oh, ok!"..

I could have ordered a Stainless Guide Rod with a freaking 1ct Diamond on the end, she wouldn't notice. :p

Bawanna
04-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Micro Tactical Meat Tenderizer.... If your ever stranded in the woods and you have to kill and eat some random little critter, you can use it to tenderize the meat first.

Lucky for me, my wife doesn't know guns well enough to well one from the other. Although I sold my Kimber Stainless (about a $1000 dollars 1911) and bought a black Wilson CQB (about $2500 with the options I picked) and when she noticed and asked about it I just told her I painted it with some bake on color stuff and she said, "oh, ok!"..

I could have ordered a Stainless Guide Rod with a freaking 1ct Diamond on the end, she wouldn't notice. :p

Perfect, I'm gonna run with that meat tenderizer story. I often take an old pistol case to gun shows and make sure she sees me leave with it. If I get something she doesn't know if its new or traded or what. I have a Wilson on my wish list also, trying to figure out how I could live in it or drive it. Lots of money but dog gone nice guns. Every man should own one before he crosses the river.

dademoss
04-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Mine came in the mail today, but now I wish I had ordered the fancy "meat Tenderizer one"

in any case, it dropped right in, we'll see how it works tomorrow at the range.

Bawanna
04-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Mine came in the mail today, but now I wish I had ordered the fancy "meat Tenderizer one"

in any case, it dropped right in, we'll see how it works tomorrow at the range.

That was pretty fast, didn't you just order a few days ago. I'm still debating if I want the meat tenderizer for the extra 20. I'm a true advocate of looking cool at all times and you stating your wish is leaning me way over toward the meat tenderizer version. I guess it will be a pretty much one time purchase and should last forever so what price looking cool I guess.
Guess I better order up or get off the throne huh?

dademoss
04-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Yes, I ordered 4/22.

The smooth is good looking, I will spend the leftover cash on targets and ammo;)

http://dademoss.smugmug.com/Other/Misc-Shots/DSC1233/848864800_frHbY-XL.jpg

jlottmc
04-26-2010, 08:27 PM
I think I like smooth personally. Yup, smooth is good. I'll save some sheckels like that too. ;)

Bawanna
04-26-2010, 10:04 PM
I like the extra rubbles for other stuff also. I think I'm going with the smooth as well. I think I can still pound on a little dead critter and tenderize his little backside.
If I win the lottery I'll order a truck load of checkered tenderizers and give them away as happy today gifts.

The fact that I only have 37 bucks or so in my play account sort of helped this decision along but the smooth looks nice.

jlottmc
04-27-2010, 06:24 AM
I agree besides if I get close enough to use the tactical meat tenderizer part, I'm pretty well attached to the wall with those thread things...

bayoutrigger
04-27-2010, 04:33 PM
+ 1 on the Steve Bedair stainless guide rod. I've got one in CW40 & P380.

Bawanna
04-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Add me to the "IN" crowd. Just ordered one for my K40. Smooth, non tactical meat tenderizer. I'll get that one for my PM45 when my ship comes in.

Bawanna
04-27-2010, 05:17 PM
:) THEY DON'T MAKE ONE FOR THE PMs' BAWANNA :D

pm'S ARE A DIFFERENT SPRING SYSTEM

Well that makes perfect sense. I'm beginning to think they don't make a PM for Bawanna either. To many years of being anti tupperware I fear. I might join Wyn's crusade and wait for a K45 or MK45.

I'm gonna go grab one of the fella's PM9's around here and tear it apart and look again. Didn't pay close enough attention the last time I was inside one.

Thanks for straightening out my misguided wish deployment system. Obviously my navigation controls are out of spec.....................

jlottmc
04-27-2010, 07:17 PM
I'll wait with you for that K45, MK45, and T45 Bawanna.

paintwerk
04-27-2010, 07:41 PM
I will be picking one of these guide rods up very soon.

We probably should have tried for a group purchase on the checkered ones. :D

jocko
04-27-2010, 07:50 PM
I have a friend who has the P380 stainless guide rod and told me weight wise and shooting wise, he felt no difference at all. And the stainless guide rod still showed wear marks, not as much as the steel rod but his steel rod never gave one issue ever. He said he would not have bought one for his P380 but it was a gift.

Bawanna
04-27-2010, 08:13 PM
I have a friend who has the P380 stainless guide rod and told me weight wise and shooting wise, he felt no difference at all. And the stainless guide rod still showed wear marks, not as much as the steel rod but his steel rod never gave one issue ever. He said he would not have bought one for his P380 but it was a gift.

Mine never has given me issues either, I'm just a sucker for shiney things. Just got an email from steve and my shiney new guide rod will ship in the morning. Should be looking cool in a few days.

NonStop
04-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Put mine on my P45 yesterday. Looks good. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

Greate service from Steve and a very nice looking part.

Another Steve...

Bawanna
04-30-2010, 06:06 PM
My K40 guide rod arrived at work today, I took the day off (rarely happens). I'm on my way down in a bit to pick it up, maybe drool on it bit, fondle it, then install and see if it works. I have little doubt.
Steve seems like a great guy, fast response, fast shipping. It's all good. Gotta be shiney and what's not to love about that?

jlottmc
04-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Maybe I should take the beating from mama and get one for my P45. Does it come with a new recoil spring?

Bawanna
04-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Maybe I should take the beating from mama and get one for my P45. Does it come with a new recoil spring?

I just now put my new ROD in and I must say it's an absolute thing of beauty. Dropped right in looks nice, feels nice, I'm totally ok with smooth, the tenderizer might have been nice but smooth is good. Even a hand written thanks from Steve on the invoice. I just love old time good customer service. A truely rare thing these days.
They do not come with the spring. The factory one works just fine. Think I'll go hit the recliner and play with my new rod. It really is nice.

jlottmc
05-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Ok, I want a new spring too, I never can find one on Wolf's website though. Guess that's just the potato head coming out.

Jazz
05-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Another "me too". My standard guide rod was chewed up big time. I have a CW9. I ordered the stainless guide rod from Kahr. It's a tad heavier but it doesn't wear out as bad.

Roadblock
05-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Been out of town a few days but my guide rod showed up 3 days after ordering it. I got the smooth one too.

Steve was GREAT to deal with.

I'm actually sitting here in my chair playing with my P9 now, unloaded obviously! :D

merrell
05-02-2010, 05:38 AM
Instead of meat tenderizer, how 'bout a smiley face on the smooth shiny end for the bad guy to look at........:)

jlottmc
05-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Gentlemen ( and I use that term VERY loosely) I think the smiley face on the end might just be a winner. If the BG doesn't see it ( a definite possibility), then it might be worth a few grins when showing the piece off. Good call.

paintwerk
05-02-2010, 01:22 PM
I was thinking of different things to put on the end.

Smiley face came to mind, also a punisher skull would be cool.

merrell
05-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Gentlemen ( and I use that term VERY loosely) I think the smiley face on the end might just be a winner. If the BG doesn't see it ( a definite possibility), then it might be worth a few grins when showing the piece off. Good call.

WELL... maybe Steve will just send me one for my CW9 for my share of the royalties for the 'Smiley Rod'.;)

dademoss
05-02-2010, 01:49 PM
I should have waited for the smiley face model :D

jlottmc
05-02-2010, 03:09 PM
I like the skull idea too. Does he make stuff for other platforms as well? Maybe then we could ask the BG what he wants to be the last thing he sees...

paintwerk
05-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Anyone else care to post a pic of your Kahr with the SS rod? I still havent decided which type I want.

Roadblock
05-16-2010, 01:29 AM
I'll post one in the morning, I'm just heading to bed! :)

Bawanna
05-16-2010, 11:47 AM
I had some remorse getting the smooth over the meat tenderizer version but after a little time went by I'm perfectly content with the smooth myself. The tenderizer is strictly a look cool thing:eek: Crap, looking cool is what I live for, I should have got the tenderizer version.
That will get tried out for the first time in about an hour too. Lots of new stuff to try out today.

Andyo5
06-21-2010, 01:09 PM
I got the P45 version for my CW45, because Kahr tech support told me that both guns use the same guide rod. But the rod that I received from Steve is about 1/8" too short for my gun and also is smaller in diameter.
Can anybody verify that a P45 rod should fit a CW45 also?

dmdalton
06-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Kahr's website indicates that the same guideerod is used for the P45 & CW45:

KAHR ARMS ONLINE SHOP (http://www.kahrshop.com/index2.asp?cate=acc&model=barrelrod)

user
06-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Say, we do lubricate our guide rods, don't we?

Only two ways I can imagine you'd get wear like that is (1) if something's misaligned or bent or (2) no lubrication.

hedgehog
09-07-2010, 05:46 PM
no t9 or pm9. :(

Bawanna
09-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Different kind of guide rod in the tupperware guns. I thought the same thing at first. Gotta have a steel gun to have a steel guide rod.

hedgehog
09-07-2010, 05:55 PM
t9 is steel. and he offers it for the cw9 which is polymer...

Bawanna
09-07-2010, 05:57 PM
My bad, I got TP on the brain, got em on special at Bud's not that I want one but keep seeing them.

He could probably build ya one if he don't already have one. Heard he's a great guy and they are really nice. I got one for my K40.

hedgehog
09-07-2010, 08:23 PM
gonna get one. even if it only looks nice. figured why not!

bulletnose
10-03-2010, 03:29 PM
I got one for my P9 and am quite pleased with it. It made the lockup feel a little more solid and actually improved my groups. It protrudes in front of the muzzle about 1/16 of an inch, but that serves to protect the muzzle somewhat. I endorse his product and if I ever get another Kahr I will purchase from him again. Steve is good man to do business with!

Pender1
10-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Different kind of guide rod in the tupperware guns. I thought the same thing at first. Gotta have a steel gun to have a steel guide rod.

no, it's just the PM's that have a different guide rod. He makes one for the P380.

Crusty
10-03-2010, 06:54 PM
I put one of Steve's guide rod's in my 380 less than a month ago. I've been really happy with it. Steve was really great to work with and his product is top notch. Delivery was about as quick as Bawanna's wit. Not that it matters, but boy does it look a lot better than the factory "black head".

koishoes
11-06-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm definitely getting one.
When I had my Glock 17, I couldn't stand the plastic guide rod regardless of the fact the rest of the gun was :rolleyes: so I snatched up a SS guide rod and polished the barrel so it was pretty too.

Then...well, then I sold it and bought a K9 :D

smaglitto
12-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Yes I do and I love it, fits fine, orginally bought one from kahr but did not like it because the end was not beveled and it was hard to put on because of this, the Bedell one is beveled and it goes on very smooth, I would not recmmend Kahr rod

Chuck54
12-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Get the smooth one...polish it....then add a smiley face with a sharpie.

jlottmc
12-13-2010, 08:42 AM
I thought we had wanted those kinds of things engraved in the guide rods.

jocko
12-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Yes I do and I love it, fits fine, orginally bought one from kahr but did not like it because the end was not beveled and it was hard to put on because of this, the Bedell one is beveled and it goes on very smooth, I would not recmmend Kahr rod

to you for a 1st time poster and coming in with this what I think is good information on the beveled end is very enlightening. I know you don't know that as a 1st time poster but Bawanna our great mod guru, , it took him over 1500 posts to come up with a good idea. Sad though, it was his last good idea but he is still trying.

All sh-t aside, that might be a very good reason to own a bedell rod, looks ain't everything but funtionality goes a a long way also.

Bawanna
12-13-2010, 12:13 PM
First simple and stupid, now this. Did my dog tinkle on you Harley tires or what?

You sure there wasn't a second medium good idea in there someplace you forgot about. Maybe not.

yqtszhj
12-13-2010, 07:54 PM
to you for a 1st time poster and coming in with this what I think is good information on the beveled end is very enlightening. I know you don't know that as a 1st time poster but Bawanna our great mod guru, , it took him over 1500 posts to come up with a good idea. Sad though, it was his last good idea but he is still trying.

All sh-t aside, that might be a very good reason to own a bedell rod, looks ain't everything but funtionality goes a a long way also.

Yeah but look, that one idea must have been a really good one because now he's the Forum police (minus any flashing lights :D)

Bawanna
12-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Flashing lights! We don't need no stinking flashing lights!

Badges, we don't need no stinking badges!

OldLincoln
12-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Hmmm... I suppose a titanium rod would be even better! Think of all the weight you'd save and you can get "Titanium Inside" etched on the slide. Too cool!

skychief12
12-14-2010, 07:54 AM
I just ordered mine. If all you guys are ordering them how can I go wrong?

On the order hand... I keep hearing my dear ol' mother's voice saying.

"If everyone else jumps off a cliff are you going to follow them?" ;)

Bawanna
12-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Your mother is a wise woman. The cliff is the reason many of us are the way we are. Pretty high cliff.

You can't go wrong on this one though. Steve makes great stuff and he'll be there for ya if needed.

Kahrcw9
01-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Site is down? any ideas?

skychief12
01-12-2011, 12:57 PM
I have one of his K9 new. Not sure it will work on a CW9?

Bawanna
01-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Site is down? any ideas?

It's working again for me. Must have been a temporary thing.

skychief12
01-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Working for me too.

dzldust
06-10-2011, 06:23 AM
did not see a MK9 guiderod listed,will other models fit?

dzldust
06-10-2011, 06:51 AM
just got my email that he does not carry the mk rod

gruney
01-05-2015, 02:52 PM
I ordered one recently because my original guide rod was leaving metal "filings" inside the gun. Mine is a CW9, but it appears they use the same crappy guide rod in the P and K series as well.

The packaging on the SS unit from Kahr is marked TCS (The Custom Shop). It lists a Kahr part number P9SGR and a TCS part number TCSCW9. The address is in Walworth, NY.

I think the factory guide rods are made from special "soft steel" so they don't wear out the spring.:(

Scarywoody
01-05-2015, 05:22 PM
According to their website, they are closing business due to health reasons.

OlympicFox
04-13-2015, 07:07 PM
I've had a Bedair SS guide rod in my K9 for several years. The gun seems to like it just fine, so I'm not complaining either.

Alfonse
06-19-2015, 12:52 PM
I ran a bit of a test. I took a brand new factory guide rod and a stainless guide rod. I put 100 rounds through my K9 with each of them. Here is a photo comparing the two parts afterward:

https://lakelinellc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/guide-rod-comparison-631x1024.jpg

The marks in the stainless can't be felt with a finger, or fingernail. The ones in the factory guide rod are easy to feel. The pistol actually cycles noticeably smoother with the stainless than the used factory part.

However, the pistol works just fine with either. FYI.

jg rider
12-28-2015, 12:33 PM
I apologize for coming late to the party
First a question, I have two K9 Elite 98s. Both came with s.s. guide rods. I tested with a magnet and cold bluing. These are hollowed out 2 1/4" of the full 2 3/4" lengths.
Is Kahr now using another style guide rod ?
In the beginning I stippled the end of the wife's K9 guide rod and checkered the end of mine. See my album. Not fun to do on stainless.
Then I noticed some slight scoring on the rod surfaces. So I beveled the ends of the recoil springs and and widened the last coil for a snug fit in the coil spring tunnel, no more scoring. This is something I do on all builds I do.

Reading this thread reminds me of something I wanted to do some time back. Now I may do it. Add weight to the hollowed out portion of the guide rod. Poured lead or swagged lead balls.

I 'm just offering what I did and will probably do, nothing more.

Alfonse
12-28-2015, 12:47 PM
I apologize for coming late to the party

Then I noticed some slight scoring on the rod surfaces. So I beveled the ends of the recoil springs and and widened the last coil for a snug fit in the coil spring tunnel, no more scoring. This is something I do on all builds I do.

I think that is a great idea. The testing I did was with a recoil spring that needed to be beveled and was scoring up the factory guide rod. A harder guide rod helps, but fixing the end of the spring is best.

jg rider
12-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Oh Wow !
I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was someone else selling rods besides the discontinued ones. My post was inappropriate.

The charm of getting old and not noticing

berettabone
12-28-2015, 03:20 PM
I had one in my SR40 Ruger.........................it worked fine, but I didn't like the screw in the end, that had to be kept in position with locktite. Got rid of the firearm and guide rod.

greywolf224
01-27-2017, 02:31 PM
Old thread that I am resurrecting.

Changed the rod over to SS a few years ago but minor scoring was and is still apparent. Just wondering if performing a very mild chamferring of both sides of the slide would help any.
Or is it soley attributed to the spring rubbing on the guide?

Alfonse
01-27-2017, 02:47 PM
The spring is pretty much the only thing that wears the guide rod. They are pretty hard, so you will probably need a dremel or something to get burrs off. It is usually just the end that can be an issue, since the spring is round.

greywolf224
01-27-2017, 03:00 PM
The spring is pretty much the only thing that wears the guide rod. They are pretty hard, so you will probably need a dremel or something to get burrs off. It is usually just the end that can be an issue, since the spring is round.

Thanks. No there are no burrs or anything that you can even catch lint on from a fine lint cloth. Just wear is noticeable on the guide. Sometimes being anal about things can drive myself crazy.:p

finpro
01-27-2017, 10:03 PM
An excellent way to remove rough spots on a stainless guide rod or to simply prepare it for use is to insert it into an electric drill and gently pinch the rod within 2000 grit sandpaper while spinning it with the drill. It would probably work as well with metal polish on a cloth. It takes just a few seconds and puts a very high polish on the rod that makes it much slicker. It is more important to do this to the front half of the rod, but I generally do both ends. I think this helps with any wear issues due to the rod passing through the front of the slide. I suggest polishing the front corner of the rod to aid in reassembly. It might be better to do only the front half of a non-stainless steel guide rod to prevent rusting. Final dressing of the rod should be done with the sandpaper moving it back and forth from the front end to help with the excursion through the slide. After doing this, I use metal conditioner on metal guide rods using a toaster oven to heat it, per the instructions. I have done this numerous times beginning with Steve Bedair rods bought years ago and have never experienced any problems. After doing this, I do not recall ever having seen further wear.