PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Brass Questions

JustinN
06-30-2013, 06:53 PM
Couple quick questions. I've been getting 9mm brass deprimed and cleaned and came up with a couple questions.

I noticed the Blazer ammo I'm decapping, the primer often sticks. I just have to give it a second pull and then the old primer pops out, but is this something to worry about, or it is just a stickier primer for some reason. It looks normal, nothing odd about anything that I can see, just some of them take hitting it twice for the old primer to come all the way out.

Second, how important is it to separate brass by manufacturer? With these 9mm cases I'm just going to be loading range fodder ammo, running middle of the road on loads (no where near the manual max). None of them appear to be of any size difference from each other (haven't got out the calipers on them yet), but will it really make much of a difference? I've read you need to only load one brand of brass with a load, but as long as my OAL is consistent and I'm not trying for max pressures or anything, is there much to worry about?

Thanks!

mr surveyor
06-30-2013, 07:02 PM
are you sure your decapping pin is tight in the collet?

as for matching headstamps, I don't worry about it for anything I load in mild to medium loads. I don't load max loads in anything anyway, but I do keep some of my brass well segregated when I'm trying to work up accurate and consistant loads for "distance". If you were pushing the limits on max loads, it may be an issue.

surv

JustinN
06-30-2013, 07:43 PM
I am actually using a Lyman Decapping Die, as I'm STILL waiting on my actual dies to not be back ordered anymore :(

Of the 300 rounds I've decapped, only a handful of the Blazer shells have had the sticky primers, everything else just pops right out. Even with those, it comes out, just doesn't fall out like the rest. After one pull, the primer doesn't drop but if I pull the case out of the holder, it drops the primer in a random direction, so I know it is "out", just not loose.

MW surveyor
06-30-2013, 08:01 PM
When I first started out a couple of years ago, I did separate my brass by mfg. Now not so much. Just load it to the same OAL no matter what the head stamp.

Not sure about the Blazers as I don't seem to run into them as much as other brands. I do know that some brands are "different" in the way they feel when sizing and de-priming.

OldLincoln
06-30-2013, 08:05 PM
The primers may just be seated closer to the depth limits. If you hold up a case against the deprime pin you may see the pin is a hair too short. If the case set it a tad lower.

You may have to Wiki the terms "hair" and "tad" if not familiar with them. They are close to "whatsit" but if you come across "stratophitzkadidliewhopper" you past it aways back.

Bawanna
06-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Just set the decapping pin deeper. I try to set just deep enough to kick them out but you can set it plenty deep. Less prone to breaking if you don't set it deeper than needed. I've never broke a pin either so not a big issue.

CJB
06-30-2013, 08:52 PM
9mm brass tends to grow in diameter at the case head, when reloaded over and over.... and over.

There are work arounds.

Decapping should not be a problem however.

Ikeo74
06-30-2013, 11:05 PM
I have had the same problem on some cases and have narrowed the problem down to this: The first pull actually pushes the primer out, but some of these new primers bend out where the pen contacts the primer. The primer is pushed out of the case but, the anvil inside the primer bends down and the anvil then grips the pin tight enough that it won't fall off and rides the pin back up and part way back into the primer cup. As I continue to raise the de-capping die up the primer then release from the pin but stays in the cup. Then the second stroke finishes pushing it out. I never had that problem in previous years. It is something that has started recently and I put the blame on softer primer cups from new manufactured primers. It's probably limited to certain brands, it is hard to tell yet. It is a strange occurance. I have changed the decapping pin up and down, it makes no difference, it still happens. Sometimes it takes 3 strokes to shake it off.

CJB
07-01-2013, 06:33 AM
Sometimes it
takes 3 strokes to shake it
off.

More than that and you are just playin with it...

OldLincoln
07-01-2013, 10:58 AM
9mm brass tends to grow in diameter at the case head, when reloaded over and over.... and over.

Is this what the Lee Factory Crimp Die resolves? Seems I read it shapes the case from one end to the other.

JustinN
07-01-2013, 03:32 PM
I think my pin is as low as it gets, I think its just doing exactly what Ikeo is describing. I won't worry about the brass then.