PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a load

JustinN
07-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Where is a good place to find a load, if it isn't in the reloading manual? I would think normally you just wouldn't do it, but because of components being scarce right now, I was hoping I could figure out a way to make this work. I have 87 Grain Hornady V-Max 6mm (.243) bullets, and Hodgdon Superformance powder - in neither the Hornady 9th edition manual, nor Hodgdon's website, do they list loading an 87 grain with the Superformance powder. In fact, Hodgdon's site doesn't even show an 87 grain 243 bullet.....

So, can I load from a 90 gr load, but less and work up, or just wait until I can find the "right" powder for that bullet and the "right" bullet for the Superformance powder?

Edit to add: this is for .243 Winchester

Ikeo74
07-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Evidently they don't recommend Superformance with that heavy of a bullet in 243 Win loads. What other powders do you have if any. The manufactures usually have good reason to not list a load. It might be a pressure issue or a velosity issue. If it were me I would not work up a load with that combination until either Hornady or Hodgdon print one in there data. You need either a lighter bullet or a different powder. I used 243 Winchester to check the data.

JustinN
07-09-2013, 06:40 PM
My hornady book lists Superformance with an 80 and 95-100 grain bullet, and the bottle of powder lists a load with a 75 grain bullet.

I do not have any other rifle powder currently, but I'm sure I can look around and eventually find some.

Also, Hodgdon's site doesn't even list an 87 grain bullet, just 85 and 90.

Ikeo74
07-09-2013, 07:00 PM
My hornady book lists Superformance with an 80 and 95-100 grain bullet, and the bottle of powder lists a load with a 75 grain bullet.

I do not have any other rifle powder currently, but I'm sure I can look around and eventually find some.

Also, Hodgdon's site doesn't even list an 87 grain bullet, just 85 and 90.
If 95-100 gr load data is listed in your book, you can use that data for the 87 gr bullet. Load in the mid to near top loads and it will be safe for 87 gr.

You can use heavier bullet load data, but not lighter bullet load data.
If the data is safe for 95-100 gr load it will be safe for the 87 gr. The velosity of the 87 gr will be higher than what it shows for 95-100. Load up 5 and go shoot them for accuracy.

You can also use the Hodgdon data for 90 gr bullets if it is superformance powder data.

JustinN
07-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Ok excellent, thank you!

Ikeo74
07-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Ok excellent, thank you!
I added an edit line to my last post about using the Hodgdon data for 90 gr bullets is ok if it is for Superformance powder. That will be somewhat closer to the 87 gr. Compare both loads they should be almost the same.

JustinN
07-09-2013, 07:18 PM
The Hodgdon site doesn't list Superformance as a powder in the loading data. I don't know if it's more limited or just newer than the data on their site.

I'll use the 90 grain Superformance load data from the book.

Ikeo74
07-09-2013, 07:58 PM
The Hodgdon site doesn't list Superformance as a powder in the loading data. I don't know if it's more limited or just newer than the data on their site.

I'll use the 90 grain Superformance load data from the book.

They do have Superformance on their site, but they abbreviated it to "Superform" It's hidden, and not in all loads but they do show some.

JustinN
07-09-2013, 08:51 PM
They do have Superformance on their site, but they abbreviated it to "Superform" It's hidden, and not in all loads but they do show some.

You are correct. I just missed it earlier when I looked. I'm just wanting to build a round to turn a coyote inside out, that doesn't seem like too much to ask IMO, lol.

Ikeo, thanks again for the guidance and answers. I'm still brand new at this whole reloading game, so I like to ask questions. A lot of questions. I'm definitely a measure three, or four, or maybe five times before I cut, and reloading is no different. My guns are too nice to risk messing them up because I guessed at something....and my face is way too pretty....

MikeyKahr
07-09-2013, 09:57 PM
:rolleyes: have fun with the coyote JustinN.

AIRret
07-10-2013, 06:58 AM
Hey folks,
As a fairly new reloader I love these threads, I'm always learning.
Thanks