PDA

View Full Version : Slide stop spring tip

xaircav
04-25-2010, 07:40 AM
The washer under the torx screw that holds the slide stop spring is countersunk in one direction to allow the screw to lay flat. You old timers knew this already but maybe this can help another neophyte.

jocko
04-25-2010, 08:42 AM
The washer under the torx screw that holds the slide stop spring is countersunk in one direction to allow the screw to lay flat. You old timers knew this already but maybe this can help another neophyte.

even to us ol timers, but IMO the best tip is. NEVER MESS WITH THAT SLIDE STOP SPRING SCREW. It threads right into the polymer frame and is very easy to strip out, very easy. then you have ruined your lower section.

If you take care inserting that slide stop lever, YOU WILL NEVER WEAR THAT SPRING OUT If you improperly replace the slide stop lever and bend that spring tip out of whack, just take a pair of small needle nose plies and bend the tip back to where the slide stop is making that snap noise when inserted properly. If one looks at that slide stop, he can see where that spring MUST go on top of that little protrusion, and if you look real close you will see a small groove cut into that protrusiion also. That is where the springy should end up, if properly installed and you will hear that "snap" to. I put a dab of grease on that area, as I feel it helps that spring ride up over that nub easier.

I do think this could be considered a weak spot if any on kahrs but again I have read of only two lowers ever haivng this issue and I think from reading those posts they left the factory that way.So if left alone it will not ever give one issue. I have over 25,900 rounds thorugh my pM9 and proabalby had it apart well over 200 times, same spring still in place, never touched that little screw either and I don't intend to....

xaircav
04-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Sound advice. I only snugged the torx scew and will never mess with it again.

jocko
04-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Sound advice. I only snugged the torx scew and will never mess with it again.

about allu can go, over snugged and it is ruined.

Andyo5
05-02-2010, 09:08 AM
My guess is that even if you stripped the threaded hole in the frame, it could be repaired with some epoxy. You could then re-drill and re-tap the hole and be back in business.
Or even use a longer screw and a small washer/nut combination on the other side of the plastic. I'd look into these before throwing away the frame.

(EDIT: Whoops. Forget the washer/nut idea. The barrel would be in the way.)