PDA

View Full Version : Missourians: NRA Firearms Museum in Springfield

johnh
09-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Local folks,

If you have not seen the NRA Firearms Museum in Springfield, it is well worth a visit. I ran by with my boy yesterday. There are interesting guns for all tastes on exhibit. They have a nice selection of American military firearms up through WWI. Fewer examples after that, but some nice ones none-the-less. Fans of the Wild West era will be more than happy with the numerous displays of firearms from that era. In particular, a lot of revolvers from various manufacturers, including a display of just English models. The display of personal firearms of Texas Rangers shows some interesting tastes between the various gentlemen. Then there is the room devoted to Teddy Roosevelt. His nightstand gun from the White House is included. I personally enjoyed seeing the various .45 caliber pistols submitted to the US Army trials that resulted in the adoption of the 1911. I cannot help but to wonder how the shape of auto-loaders since would have been influenced had the Savage won, or perhaps the Pedersen had been selected by the Navy.

All-in-all, well worth the price of admission--free!

John

ripley16
09-01-2013, 11:09 AM
If the Springfield museum is anywhere near the quality of the spectacular NRA museum in Fairfax, Virginia, then it is most certainly worth a visit.

muggsy
09-02-2013, 07:44 AM
Local folks,

If you have not seen the NRA Firearms Museum in Springfield, it is well worth a visit. I ran by with my boy yesterday. There are interesting guns for all tastes on exhibit. They have a nice selection of American military firearms up through WWI. Fewer examples after that, but some nice ones none-the-less. Fans of the Wild West era will be more than happy with the numerous displays of firearms from that era. In particular, a lot of revolvers from various manufacturers, including a display of just English models. The display of personal firearms of Texas Rangers shows some interesting tastes between the various gentlemen. Then there is the room devoted to Teddy Roosevelt. His nightstand gun from the White House is included. I personally enjoyed seeing the various .45 caliber pistols submitted to the US Army trials that resulted in the adoption of the 1911. I cannot help but to wonder how the shape of auto-loaders since would have been influenced had the Savage won, or perhaps the Pedersen had been selected by the Navy.

All-in-all, well worth the price of admission--free!

John

And cheap at twice that price, John.