PDA

View Full Version : Grip screw replacement?

mity2
05-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Where can I find Stainless grip screw replacement?
Mine is rusting(WTF?!)...
With carbon steel slide, I was very careful to keep slide oiled, but grip screw slipped out of my mind...

Bawanna
05-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Where can I find Stainless grip screw replacement?
Mine is rusting(WTF?!)...
With carbon steel slide, I was very careful to keep slide oiled, but grip screw slipped out of my mind...

Brownells, Midway, sometimes even like Cheaper Than Dirt. Kahr direct. I've heard that Kahr grip screws are the same as 1911, the length may be off depending on model. I've never tried them but I will first chance I get.
I often times just repolish the old grip screw and do a quick cold blue touch up, they even have a pen like a felt marker that sometimes works just fine.
Stainless would no doubt be a better option unless you want the dark color but even stainless will rust sometimes.

jlottmc
05-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Brownells, Midway, sometimes even like Cheaper Than Dirt. Kahr direct. I've heard that Kahr grip screws are the same as 1911, the length may be off depending on model. I've never tried them but I will first chance I get.
I often times just repolish the old grip screw and do a quick cold blue touch up, they even have a pen like a felt marker that sometimes works just fine.
Stainless would no doubt be a better option unless you want the dark color but even stainless will rust sometimes.

What he said. I am pretty sure that there are more parts for Kahr's that a 1911, or officer's model will yield than one would think. I'm also guessing that screw was the one with the body side in the holster. Stainless steel WILL rust, just not as easily. I use Birchwood-Casey's Super Gun Blue and a Q-tip for my touch ups. Follow the directions and you'll be fine. Last thing, as long as it's not too pitted you can scrub that rust right off or even sand it as well.

mity2
05-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Heck, I have two 1911's. let me check and see if threads are the same...

Bawanna
05-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Heck, I have two 1911's. let me check and see if threads are the same...

Gosh, another DW Cbob owner too! You people make me sooooo jealous. That's another one of the I will own some day guns. I love those things.
I'm still kicking myself, I didn't have the coin to get a very very nice used one at the gun show 2 months ago. It was a gift at like 1100. The guy let me hold it a long long time. We were meant to be together but alas I had to leave her behind.

jlottmc
05-02-2010, 02:40 PM
I hate when that happens. Bawanna if you tread down the road of what might have been, you'll make yourself crazy. Ok, crazier.

mity2
05-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Gosh, another DW Cbob owner too! You people make me sooooo jealous. That's another one of the I will own some day guns. I love those things.
I'm still kicking myself, I didn't have the coin to get a very very nice used one at the gun show 2 months ago. It was a gift at like 1100. The guy let me hold it a long long time. We were meant to be together but alas I had to leave her behind.

Ahhh the CBOB...

I have bought many guns over the years. Traded many too.
But CBOB is staying with me until the day I go meet the maker!
It was between Colt XSE commander and CBOB, and in the end, overall quality of Colt was no match to CBOB.

Thing of it is that I bought my CBOB - New in sept of 08 for(ready for this?!) $850.
Yep. Because shop had it on their shelf for almost year - Noone wanted it - If you can imagine that.
So I offered $850, and they said yep.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2zqugls.jpg

Its plenty accurate too...

http://i44.tinypic.com/15qbznr.jpg

When they say that its "a match-accurate, 100% reliable combat pistol at an affordable price", They weren't kidding!

Anyhow, back to the topic - Yes, 1911 grip screw has same thread then kahr grip screw. It is too long tho - Magazine will not fit.
I need to get 1911 grip screw for thinner profile grip pannel or just hit the screw with dremel...

Bawanna
05-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Ahhh the CBOB...

I have bought many guns over the years. Traded many too.
But CBOB is staying with me until the day I go meet the maker!
It was between Colt XSE commander and CBOB, and in the end, overall quality of Colt was no match to CBOB.

Thing of it is that I bought my CBOB - New in sept of 08 for(ready for this?!) $850.
Yep. Because shop had it on their shelf for almost year - Noone wanted it - If you can imagine that.
So I offered $850, and they said yep.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2zqugls.jpg

Its plenty accurate too...

http://i44.tinypic.com/15qbznr.jpg

When they say that its "a match-accurate, 100% reliable combat pistol at an affordable price", They weren't kidding!

Anyhow, back to the topic - Yes, 1911 grip screw has same thread then kahr grip screw. It is too long tho - Magazine will not fit.
I need to get 1911 grip screw for thinner profile grip pannel or just hit the screw with dremel...

Yup, bingo on the screws or just order from Kahr and you should be good to go.
On the Cbob, well MX5fan started the fever and your picture didn't help one little bit. As usual the minute I decided that I wanted one they discontinued the Cbob so the price went up a couple hundred over night, now they have replaced it with the Vbob which is near identical, except I've seen some that didn't have the quite so nice trigger, other wise the same only 3-400 more bucks. I'm still not sure I'm ready to go back to single action for daily carry although I did it for many many years, but I know I'm ready to have a Cbob, I'll make it work.

quikduk
05-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Yes the screws are the same threads but if you are using the 1911 "thinline" grip screws for the factory Kahr plastic grips, you will need to shorten them approx. 1 to 1-1/2 mm so that when tightened, they don't protrude past the last thread of the frame and into the magwell.

If you are using the wood grips, you should probably get the standard length 1911 grip screws and shorten them as needed.

BTW, the threads are .150-50 (I think).

I bought mine from here:

Screws & Bushings 1911 pistol grip steel hex head (http://www.woodgrips.com/screws_&_bushings.htm)

BTW (2), nice CBOB. That is one of my ultimate must haves (some day).

jlottmc
05-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Wish I could afford to play with the big boys there, I want one. How does the bobbed mainspring housing feel when you shoot it? I would CAREFULLY use a hacksaw and file to shorten those screws. That is my preferred method, as I tend to be a might heavy handed with power tools.

Bawanna
05-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Wish I could afford to play with the big boys there, I want one. How does the bobbed mainspring housing feel when you shoot it? I would CAREFULLY use a hacksaw and file to shorten those screws. That is my preferred method, as I tend to be a might heavy handed with power tools.

The little cut off wheel for dremel tools work pretty well also especially if your just cutting off a tiny amount.
I can't speak for the Dan Wesson but I did my own bobtail on my Para and it feels great. An added bonus is it knocks off that back corner that prints the most under a shirt etc. I got no regrets except the gray hairs and worried stomach taking a hack saw and drill to my favorite Para. I'd like to bobtail my officer model size Para but the don't make the backstrap for that and supposedly on those you'd have to give up a round which I'd be fine with.

jlottmc
05-03-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm like you even with the frame locked into a jig, I'd find a way to screw up my beloved 1911. I just cant bring myself to do it to the old girl. Like I said before, though I tend to be heavy handed with the power tools. Besides, I learned early respect the hand tools and then you can learn the power tools. My problem when I use the Dremel to cut threads always comes at the end I tend to have to re thread my work. I never have a problem with the hack saw. Oh well, if power tools fork for you then by all means.

Bawanna
05-03-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm like you even with the frame locked into a jig, I'd find a way to screw up my beloved 1911. I just cant bring myself to do it to the old girl. Like I said before, though I tend to be heavy handed with the power tools. Besides, I learned early respect the hand tools and then you can learn the power tools. My problem when I use the Dremel to cut threads always comes at the end I tend to have to re thread my work. I never have a problem with the hack saw. Oh well, if power tools fork for you then by all means.

The hacksaw is usually my first go to tool also. Usually I'll spend way too much time using the hand file when a cut and then minor filing would be quick. I'm talking about when you need less than the thickness of the hacksaw blade in which case the file would also do the job if you got the time. Believe it or not my drill press and jig setup was not cooperating so I ended up using my trustee 25' Stanley tape measure and smallest drill bit to locate the hold location then gradually worked up with small files to stay in the right place. After that cutting the corner off with the hacksaw was a piece of cake. Just had to get that hole in the exact right spot. Guess that's why I was a carpenter instead of an engineer in a previous life.

jlottmc
05-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Bawanna I grew up in a machine shop, I know all about tools not co-operating. I still think I'm a bit yellow for not making that attempt. Of course these days I have nothing to work with and no where to do it, and time whats that?

quikduk
05-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Re: the screws, I used the hex key (Allen wrench) placed in the screw head and then clamped a pair of hemostats on the screw below the head. By holding both at the same time, I could easily secure the screw from flying off into the dark abyss of the garage while I hit it with an air angle sander and a medium grit disc. I finished up with a smooth file to dress the end (shiny) and taper the end of the threads for easy fitting/starting.

Re: bobbing "my own tail"...uh...gun I mean, I might attempt that but I would prefer to use my brother-in-law's Bridgeport mill as I could mic everything and get it spot on...plus he is a 1911 guy and would have fun too.

jlottmc
05-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Quikduk, that sounds like the best way to do one (the bobbing of the frame).