PDA

View Full Version : Kahr pm9 side panel removal??

Cappy
09-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Written by Trex021 on GlockTalk
The panel is for releasing gases during a catastrophic casing failure and is not meant to be removed. Here is a picture of the panel removed I stole from a post by someone who had a Kb.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/statusicon/wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2 and weights %3.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e46/trex021/kahrgun.jpg (http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e46/trex021/kahrgun.jpg)

ripley16
09-14-2009, 06:24 AM
I'm not sure Trex021 is the definitive word on the side panel. Some have a torx screw holding the panel on and Kahr sells a tool meant for removal of the panel. It seems to me it exists for the purpose of making assembly easier, (or possible). I wonder what Kahr says on the matter.

jocko
09-15-2009, 05:27 AM
I'm not sure Trex021 is the definitive word on the side panel. Some have a torx screw holding the panel on and Kahr sells a tool meant for removal of the panel. It seems to me it exists for the purpose of making assembly easier, (or possible). I wonder what Kahr says on the matter.

Kahr just went to the torx screw (size 5) this past year or so, before it had a pin through it, like shown in the photo. One really should not be taking that cover off, for
#1. there is no reason to take it off to clean etc. one can spray clean it from the inside fo the mag well.
#2. that torx screw actually screws right into the polymer itself, so the more you take it off the more you are gonna ruin the threads and then it willnot stay in place. the pin, I liked because it went all the way through the gun . anyways dont take it off unless u absolutely have to. If the side panelmoves out of position due to play ih the screw area, it will effect the propler working of the trigger bar. The Side panel also serves to hold that trigger bar in the correct position. I guess I can't say it enough either. LEAVE IT ALONE. clean from the inside of the mag well.

#3 is it there because kahr had to design the gun that way in order to get that trigger bar in place also, not really as a blow out "safety" feature, although, that panel will blown out with some KB's. With most k-booms the entire lower section is also shot to hell, so if u call it a safety feature so be it. It wolud not be there if that trigger bar could be serviced some other way along with the cocking cam and actually the ejector also. are all serviced through this cut out. Nothing wrong with the design IMO. looks neat but just don't mess with it..

Cappy
10-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Kahr just went to the torx screw (size 5) this past year or so, before it had a pin through it, like shown in the photo. One really should not be taking that cover off, for
#1. there is no reason to take it off to clean etc. one can spray clean it from the inside fo the mag well.
#2. that torx screw actually screws right into the polymer itself, so the more you take it off the more you are gonna ruin the threads and then it willnot stay in place. the pin, I liked because it went all the way through the gun . anyways dont take it off unless u absolutely have to. If the side panelmoves out of position due to play ih the screw area, it will effect the propler working of the trigger bar. The Side panel also serves to hold that trigger bar in the correct position. I guess I can't say it enough either. LEAVE IT ALONE. clean from the inside of the mag well.

#3 is it there because kahr had to design the gun that way in order to get that trigger bar in place also, not really as a blow out "safety" feature, although, that panel will blown out with some KB's. With most k-booms the entire lower section is also shot to hell, so if u call it a safety feature so be it. It wolud not be there if that trigger bar could be serviced some other way along with the cocking cam and actually the ejector also. are all serviced through this cut out. Nothing wrong with the design IMO. looks neat but just don't mess with it..

Jocko -- some real valid points made here!! ;)

500KV
10-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Did he happen to say what caused the KB ?
Is that a 9mm or 40 cal ?
Wonder whether it was a factory round or homemade.

jocko
10-18-2009, 11:25 AM
did he happen to say what caused the kb ?
Is that a 9mm or 40 cal ?
Wonder whether it was a factory round or homemade.

homemade:33:

muggsy
10-28-2014, 08:22 PM
I'm not one to disagree with Jocko, but the cover is removable so that the lower can be disassembled and reassembled. Without being able to remove the panel you wouldn't be able to remove the trigger bar. This, of course, is not a job for the feint of heart and complete disassemble of the frame could void your warranty.