PDA

View Full Version : Womans rifle for zoot shooting

Race Bannon
05-06-2010, 05:48 PM
My Thompson 1927A1 is way too heavy for my wife. Even an aluminum receiver rifle is too big and heavy. However, she really likes lever action rifles (like her model 94) so I was thinking that a Rossi 92 would be perfect. However will it's magazine capacity be a detriment? I don't want to buy a non compeditive rifle (even though we're planning to do this for fun and not to win) What do other women use? Any suggestions?:confused:

Bawanna
05-06-2010, 05:59 PM
My Thompson 1927A1 is way too heavy for my wife. Even an aluminum receiver rifle is too big and heavy. However, she really likes lever action rifles (like her model 94) so I was thinking that a Rossi 92 would be perfect. However will it's magazine capacity be a detriment? I don't want to buy a non compeditive rifle (even though we're planning to do this for fun and not to win) What do other women use? Any suggestions?:confused:

I'm not familiar with what would be competitive in Zoot shooting but I have a Puma 92 in 45 Colt that I really like alot. I got the short carbine model, case hardened frame and octagon barrel, might save a bit of weight for her going round. They make a kit to slick up and short the lever throw to speed things up. I have not done that yet but might do it someday. Works fine for me as is.

jlottmc
05-06-2010, 06:25 PM
A pistol caliber lever action carbine or even a 30-30 lever gun was very common then. I can't see how that Rossi wouldn't be a competitive rifle. Is it as fast as a Tommy, or a BAR? No, but they were quite common in the period, and no one felt under armed with them. (Iknow many who lived through those times) If you got the Rossi in 357 you could load light 38's for competition. A Henry Big Boy would be appropriate, or if you could find a Winchester in 32 S&W special, would be a good choice (if you could find ammo, or reloading dies) Just my thoughts...

Story
05-07-2010, 05:32 AM
I'd vote for the Rossi 92 in .38 Special, particularly if she had a wheelgun in .38

Race Bannon
05-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Great replies, her revolver will be a .38 Special so the Rossi in 357/38 makes sense. She really likes pump action guns like her Taurus .22, but I've read on some SASS boards that the centerfire Colt lighting clones don't run that well. I need something simple for her to operate in a match.

jlottmc
05-08-2010, 10:06 AM
A pump gun from Beretta or Taurus would be a good choice and the other thing I would have suggested. The Rossi should serve her well though.

Bawanna
05-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Great replies, her revolver will be a .38 Special so the Rossi in 357/38 makes sense. She really likes pump action guns like her Taurus .22, but I've read on some SASS boards that the centerfire Colt lighting clones don't run that well. I need something simple for her to operate in a match.

used Interarms/Rossi 92 Carbine .357 for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $379.00 (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/654_775/products_id/411540068)

Here's used Rossi 92 I stumbled accross at Buds.

G Man
08-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Race,

The First Precinct is also a Cowboy Action club and we have several shooters shooting lever action rifles with great success. Don’t forget you can "New York Reload" a rifle too by staging a second loaded lever action somewhere down range where you think ya might need it. Our shooters do it all the time.

G Man