PDA

View Full Version : Range Report

rjmcw9
05-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Well, I finally got to shoot my K9 Elite today, and everything worked as advertised. Only shot 100 rounds of FMJ, will try some HP's next time out. I did use the clean out hole in the slide to blow out striker channel and got quite a lot of crud flowing out. Kept squirting cleaner till the liquid flowing out was clear and debris free. Neat trick. The debris coming out did look like brass from ammo but not really sure if that is what it was. Kind of a boring report, but had no problems and the pistol shoots better than I can.

jocko
05-07-2010, 09:37 PM
nice report and oh my what a fine gun you have there a damn K9 elite, u just don't see them around alot. Probalby the best shoote rin kahrs line up IMO. Glad that clean out hole worked as it should. I think that crude is not shaving from brass but just maching crude that just never got cleaned right. Once u get that striker channel cleaned like you hav enow, it will tend to stay that way, for ever time you clean the gun, just give that little hole a shot for about 10 seconds and all will stay well.

I love my K9 but would really love a K9 elite, no doubt about it..

Inspiribomb
05-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Nice gun! I have detail-stripped the slide on all my Kahrs to clean them out good. The first time was tricky, but it's pretty easy after you do it once or twice.

wyntrout
05-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Jocko, I think the brass comes from cartridges. It keeps appearing and those cases take quite a beating chambering and ejecting. If you look at ejected, fired brass, you'll see lots of nicks... mostly the base and rim, but as far as I know there is not brass in the Kahr pistols. I polish the bottom of the slide... the stripper and behind it, to make that slide more easily over the cartridges in the magazines.
I find that brass debris in the frame as well, and some of that winds up in the striker assembly/channel. There's a lot of action going on and I was glad to see Bawanna' had some pix from the right side. It's unbelievable the flash and blast that comes from every opening on these pistols... then there's that occasional love tap aimed at the forehead!:D
I need to try some video from the right side at the range. There was no ledge or anything on the right side, so maybe I can take my light tripod. I take video at high definition 720P/30 fps and when I freeze frame and save that as a still, I get a still photo in 640 by 480 resolution which is where non-HD cameras start with resolution, so their freeze-frame pix are lower resolution than that.
The camera I bought for my daughter's wedding last October is smaller than a deck of cards and I carry it in my shirt pocket with a lanyard at the range, unless I'm shooting video. The video can be a good tool for observing your grip and how you use the trigger and how much control you have, or don't have as the pistol fires.
The blast/flash/recoil, etc. recorded are sometimes spectacular and entertaining, too. Sometimes it's hard to believe the places gases and blast escape from the pistol. It really shows why you should wear eye-protection!
Wynn:D

Hey, how much arm-twisting is it going to take to get you to join the PM45 S.E.Grin Club??:D

Bawanna
05-17-2010, 09:09 AM
I agree the pictures can really help show you stuff. I'm glad my son figured out how to do it and hope we can do some more in the future. I'm not sure I agree with cartridge brass getting into the striker channel though, just doesn't seem any possible way for it to get there. I didn't try flushing mine out yet and I may just take it apart again since I shot so many rounds at one sitting. Would be a good way to see how much crud actually gets in there if any.
I did have a moment of panic yesterday, my son was shooting and stopped I think it was empty but he had a puzzled look on his face, of course I thought here it comes bad news. Looking at the ejector, not to be confused with the extractor we saw a little ring, like one coil off the striker spring. It was around the ejector. We're like wtf is that? How did it get there and where did it come from? I wiggle the gun a bit and it kind of tipped off, was able to get a fingernail on it and flip it off and caught it in my hand. It was just a perfect little ring of grease or varnish or something, just smeared under my finger pressure. I had thoroughly cleaned before so no idea what or how it got there and it didn't hurt a thing cept a moment of shear terror.
Wynn, I trust your alive and well and recouped from your endeavors with the generator yesterday?

wyntrout
05-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Yes, but I was really beat... like I had been forced at gunpoint to run a marathon, only it was a gauntlet and I was beat to sh*t! I took a shower and used the massage setting and hot water... not much help. I got my old chair with heat and massage... still hurting... center of back between shoulder blades the most. After Wifey got in I tried one of her 800mg motrin tabs and after about an hour I felt a lot better. I'm still expecting big repercussions from heavy use of my drill... from my carpal tunnel... not so bad this morning.
It's a good thing I carried on and got the generator back into place and the shed reassembled around it. We've had an inch of rain so far... the first in weeks. I hadn't noticed the weather forecast.
I was really trying to wait and see how you did at the range and, though I was in pain and almost delirious, I had to see your report and pix... and comment.
Sometimes I overdo it, but this was an exceptional overexertion! All is well, though and the generator is ready for service. The tractor will be a lot easier, plus it's self-propelled. I hope the valve adjustments stop the oil consumption and the crud in the cylinders. I put platinum plugs in that and bought more for the tractor and the generator... only $2 each at Wally World!! I got some in 2007 and they were $5.21 each!
The side of the house where I have storage, the well pump, the generator, the A/C, and tractor shed, is between the house and a retaining wall up the hill. There's only about 6 feet from the house to the wall and a shovel/rake shed is just outside the back door. I have a 3' by 8' 3/4' plywood "table' top framed by two by fours around the bottom edge and across the middle. I was using that as a ramp to get the generator from the shed to the back door with a 3'by3' "porch". The generator has two wheels and there's a rubber foot on the end where the handles are. That thing high-sides or whatever and the wheels are useless. I got off the ramp and was jerking and manhandling the close to 500 lb. generator with only 5 gallons of gas. I thought I would never get it into place. I certainly wrenched my back pretty good.
Well, enough about me... and off topic at that, but I wanted to share... and you asked.:D
Now, let's get to work on Jocko. I don't know how he can NOT get a PM45 now.

Bawanna
05-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Yes, but I was really beat... like I had been forced at gunpoint to run a marathon, only it was a gauntlet and I was beat to sh*t! I took a shower and used the massage setting and hot water... not much help. I got my old chair with heat and massage... still hurting... center of back between shoulder blades the most. After Wifey got in I tried one of her 800mg motrin tabs and after about an hour I felt a lot better. I'm still expecting big repercussions from heavy use of my drill... from my carpal tunnel... not so bad this morning.
It's a good thing I carried on and got the generator back into place and the shed reassembled around it. We've had an inch of rain so far... the first in weeks. I hadn't noticed the weather forecast.
I was really trying to wait and see how you did at the range and, though I was in pain and almost delirious, I had to see your report and pix... and comment.
Sometimes I overdo it, but this was an exceptional overexertion! All is well, though and the generator is ready for service. The tractor will be a lot easier, plus it's self-propelled. I hope the valve adjustments stop the oil consumption and the crud in the cylinders. I put platinum plugs in that and bought more for the tractor and the generator... only $2 each at Wally World!! I got some in 2007 and they were $5.21 each!
The side of the house where I have storage, the well pump, the generator, the A/C, and tractor shed, is between the house and a retaining wall up the hill. There's only about 6 feet from the house to the wall and a shovel/rake shed is just outside the back door. I have a 3' by 8' 3/4' plywood "table' top framed by two by fours around the bottom edge and across the middle. I was using that as a ramp to get the generator from the shed to the back door with a 3'by3' "porch". The generator has two wheels and there's a rubber foot on the end where the handles are. That thing high-sides or whatever and the wheels are useless. I got off the ramp and was jerking and manhandling the close to 500 lb. generator with only 5 gallons of gas. I thought I would never get it into place. I certainly wrenched my back pretty good.
Well, enough about me... and off topic at that, but I wanted to share... and you asked.:D
Now, let's get to work on Jocko. I don't know how he can NOT get a PM45 now.

If you get a couple 4ft or so pieces of like 1 1/2" pipe or even closet rod and run the thru the handle on that generator it will give you a lot more leverage and allow you to stay further away from the rubber feet. Just for wheeling it around. No good of course in a close tight environment. Its like they invented the setup to ruin peoples backs and theres significant weight right on those handles. Also like a fulcrum, pick it up too much and it flips over and not enough your just manhandling. Lifes simple pleasures.

lpc1836
06-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Went to the range Saturday with my new K9 elite. 350 rounds of FMJ in the sweltering heat. It performed FLAWLESSLY. Not one burp or hiccup. It got so hot toward the end of the session that I almost had trouble holding the damn thing. Very sweet shooting pistol. This is my first Kahr, and probably won't be my last. Superb!

GOOFA
06-22-2010, 02:58 AM
Congrats lpc1836...

My opinion is that there is nothing better in the Kahr lineup than the K9 Elite. Well, except for maybe this one;)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2722/4348986711_73c444a9f0_d.jpg

wyntrout
06-22-2010, 04:38 AM
lpc1836, 350 rounds on the first visit! Wow! Congratulations, you got one of the good ones that slipped by QC.:D

And, GOOFA, nice gun! How do you like the ported barrel? I don't carry or shoot my K9 much, but I have thought about that ported barrel. I wish that they offered those for all of the Kahrs. I would get one for the PM45, at least. I'm thinking about getting mine Mag-Na-Ported, but I'm asking Kahr Customer Service about my crummy looking slide... the so-lightly-roll-engraved that you have to hold the gun just right to catch enough light to see if there's anything there. I was on the verge of sending the slide and barrel off, but decided to email CS and see if I was really stuck with a should-have-been-scrapped slide like that.
I haven't heard from them, yet.
Wynn:(

GOOFA
06-23-2010, 01:52 AM
wynn...
the ported barrel on my K9 Elite was well worth it, that is if you want the increase in accuracy and the almost non existent recoil. The standard barrel is no slouch but I was very surprised by the amount of improvement that I've yet to go back to the original barrel.