PDA

View Full Version : Garand me!

JohnR
10-22-2013, 03:31 PM
I've agreed to do some subcontract design work on a CMP range, and for compensation I said, "Can they get me a Garand?" The contractor said he thought it would be do-able, that he could get it. Haven't heard back yet, but I'm kind of stoked. I requested a "special" grade in 30.06.
:Amflag2:

muggsy
10-22-2013, 03:35 PM
That would be like owning a piece of history. I'll cross my fingers for you John.

Bawanna
10-22-2013, 03:37 PM
I've not heard of Special grade, I know there is a select which really doesn't pertain to condition but more rarity.

Mine I believe was a Select, it was one of the early ones that they modified to launch rifle grenades. The back of the receiver is black where it was dipped in molten lead to apparently temper it as they had a tendency to crack.

It's also in pretty good condition, I felt very lucky and blessed to get it. I got it from a guy that got it from CMP, didn't go direct.

Bought it sight unseen and couldn't be happier.

Hope they come through for you and you get something very "Special".

JohnR
10-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Special grade says, "M1 Garand Springfield Armory receiver. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are
refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture."

Not a museum piece, but with history in its heart.

Bawanna
10-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Also pretty good assurance that its in grade A operating condition.

I'd never heard of that before, thinking it might be something new since they seem to be drying up. With the plans to stop surplus imports it'll only get worse.

Hoping for some pictures when you get it.

TucsonMTB
10-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Congratulations, sir! http://home.mindspring.com/~justsomeguy/thumbsup.gif

http://thecmp.org/Sales/images/RifleHeader.jpg

As I understand it, a "Special Grade M1 Garand" is about the only way to get a .308 directly from The CMP these days. At one time, they had some Navy rifles in 7.62x51 but, those have been gone for quite a while.

You might need some patience. A little more than a year ago when I bought my 30-06 Garand from a local seller here in Tucson, the CMP delivery time was already many months. That was before the last "crazy season". According to the newsletter, they have yet to recover from that onslaught of orders and their inventory is down.

Here's hoping your contact can come through for you. They are a hoot to shoot! http://home.mindspring.com/~justsomeguy/icon_lol.gif

JohnR
10-22-2013, 05:24 PM
The CMP website says 120-180 days, but my contact thought it could be expedited. Probably wishful thinking, but he does know people.

b4uqzme
10-22-2013, 08:16 PM
Thanks for igniting that fire again JohnR. I live within a reasonable drive of Camp Perry and picking out a CMP Garand is on the bucket list. I'm just not ready to spend the $$$ yet. That special grade sounds like it will be a great shooter. Good luck.

DeaconKC
11-13-2013, 07:51 PM
Good luck, I asked for a shooter when I got my Garand from CMP and it is. Also Dec 1944 build that went to the USMC at Parris Island in January of 1945.

JohnR
12-17-2013, 10:00 AM
:amflag: It's supposed to be in! Waiting to see when I can pick it up!!!

:Amflag2:

downtownv
12-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Woo Hoo!
and a Merry Christmas to YOU!

Bawanna
12-17-2013, 04:20 PM
I ain't woo hooing until I see photo evidence, I don't want to build the lads hopes up ya know.

Bill K
12-17-2013, 04:21 PM
That's really cool!

The M1 Garand holds a special place in my heart as it was the piece I was issued for Marine Corps Basic Infantry Training.

JohnR
12-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Let's hear a woo hoo, Colonel.

Bawanna
12-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Let's hear a woo hoo, Colonel.

Major woo hoo to you JohnR. That's a gosh darn beauty right there. You got the better trigger guard too, the machined one, not the stamped one. Always liked those.

More photo's as you bond and get to know each other. That's sweet.

TucsonMTB
12-20-2013, 08:21 PM
http://www.kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9683&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1387571729

Nice looking Garand, sir! I have always been partial to WW2 milled trigger guards like yours.

Here's hoping it shoots as well as its good looks lead me expect. :)

Congratulations!

DeaconKC
12-21-2013, 03:26 PM
I'll add a WOOHOO to that too! Very nice!

ParabellumJ
12-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Awesome rifle. Congratulations.

JohnR
12-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Picked up a box of Winchester .30-'06 for about $20 while last minute Christmas shopping at Wal Mart today. Probably won't get a chance to use it till January though.

TucsonMTB
12-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Picked up a box of Winchester .30-'06 for about $20 while last minute Christmas shopping at Wal Mart today. Probably won't get a chance to use it till January though.
Danger, Will Robinson!

Does your rifle have an Adjustable Gas Plug similar to this one from Midway?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/777146/schuster-dcm-adjustable-gas-plug-with-wrench-m1-garand-steel-parkerized

If not, you run the risk of damaging your rifle by firing modern hunting ammo. The most common damage is a bent, $175 (if you can find it) recoil rod. Edited to add: the proper term is Operating Rod, sorry! :o

Google it, if you like. But, I believe you have only a couple of choices for safe shooting of this marvelous old rifle. An adjustable plug like that in the link above or finding some surplus ammo. Greek HXP is often available from the CMP, but more quickly available on GunBroker.com. If you were close enough to Tucson, AZ, I would share some of mine.

Oh, and of course, you can hand load with the proper powders and projectiles. Most of us "Garand guys" do. Google that too.

JohnR
12-23-2013, 02:46 PM
I'll have to check on that.

The manual has a stern warning about using reloads, namely that you really have to know what you're doing and be sure every parameter is within spec if you reload for it.

TucsonMTB
12-23-2013, 03:17 PM
The manual has a stern warning about using reloads, namely that you really have to know what you're doing and be sure every parameter is within spec if you reload for it.
Yep! They have a whole forum devoted to the hand loading process: http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=94

Mostly, you need to use the right powders to achieve reasonable velocities without experiencing high impulse pressures in the recoil system. Oh, and the "recoil rod" I mentioned is properly called an Operating Rod. I was trying to hurry with that post . . . :o

I mostly use IMR 4895, as do many other Garand enthusiasts who reload. I bought a lot of HXP when I first purchased my rifle and that works at least as well as my reloads in mine. But, in theory, you can achieve the best accuracy by tailoring your load to your rifle. You can read all about it on the CMP forum that the link above will take you to.

RRP
12-23-2013, 03:58 PM
At the risk of hijacking JohnR's thread, may I ask you, TucsonMTB, if the same is true for Garands chambered in 308?

Bawanna
12-23-2013, 04:11 PM
At the risk of hijacking JohnR's thread, may I ask you, TucsonMTB, if the same is true for Garands chambered in 308?

Apparently so RRP. The link Tucson referred to specifically mentions it being even more important for the 308 version if you want to shoot heavier 06 bullets etc.

I have a small stash of surplus which I use sparingly. I'll need to study up and do some reloading when it's gone.

I've thought about getting that adjustable gas plug too. Probably a good idea anyhow. Most of our local ranges only allow one round at a time anyhow so I could just open it up and not have it cycle at all. They kick a bit more when the action don't soak up no recoil but that's probably manly?

TucsonMTB
12-23-2013, 04:12 PM
No worries about hijacking, we are all friends here. And, yeah, the Op Rod is the same in the Garand chambered for .308 or 7.62x51, so to be safe, your loads need fast powder to prevent excessive gas system impulse spikes. Or, at least that is my understanding from exposure to the CMP forum and others. I do not have a .308 myself. Most people who do use an adjustable gas plug, which allows you prevent over pressure and bent Op Rods by venting some of pressure. As a plus, you can tune the plug with the ammo you have available to achieve good accuracy.

You really need to go to the source for this wisdom http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=73934

Edited to add: Oh, and I just saw Bawanna's post. As usual, he understands the issue well. 168 grain Sierra Match Kings are the bullet of choice for most 30-06 and .308 competitors.

RRP
12-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Thank you, Bawanna and TucsonMTB. I appreciate the good information.

We now return to your regularly scheduled program.

Bawanna
12-23-2013, 04:18 PM
No thanks necessary, it was a good reminder and learning experience for me too. I think we'd both benefit from getting the plug myself.

JohnR
12-23-2013, 05:13 PM
So, anyone have some milspec 30-06 they wanna trade for deer ammo?

BEARDOG
12-23-2013, 05:22 PM
I was looking at getting one of these for my Garand. My dad gave me a bunch of old 06 hunting ammo he accumulated over the years, and my stash of real M2 ball I have like Bawanna, I use sparingly. Anybody have any experience with it?

http://www.garandgear.com/m1garand/detail/33-springs-and-things/flypage/75-ported-gas-plug?sef=hcfp

Sounds good, no adjusting needed like the Shuster plug.

JohnR
12-24-2013, 01:08 PM
The M1's manual says commercial ammo 180 grain or lighter is fine and won't damage the op. rod. What I bought is 165 grain so there should be no problems.

TucsonMTB
12-24-2013, 01:35 PM
The M1's manual says commercial ammo 180 grain or lighter is fine and won't damage the op. rod. What I bought is 165 grain so there should be no problems.
Cool! Sorry about the false alarm.

As you probably noticed from perusing the CMP forum, most Garand shooters are leery of commercial stuff, except for ammunition specifically loaded to be safe in a Garand. Several manufacturers offer Garand specific products.

Have fun, sir. I will be looking forward to seeing some pictures of your targets! :)

wyntrout
12-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Congrats on your piece of history... and I guess you're having a nice start on a Merry Christmas, too!

Wynn:)

DeaconKC
12-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Tucson, it is far better to err on the side of caution! Oh and some of the Greek ammo from CMP is corrosive primed and some isn't. So treat it all as corrosive, but it shoots really well!

TheTman
12-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Congrats JohnR, that is a really nice rifle. I've wanted one for a long time, but was never able to pick one up. Thanks to Tuscon about the warning about ammo and the gas rod, it's better to be safe then sorry, especially on a nice rifle like John got.

TucsonMTB
12-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Tucson, it is far better to err on the side of caution! Oh and some of the Greek ammo from CMP is corrosive primed and some isn't. So treat it all as corrosive, but it shoots really well!
Thank you for the kinds words, sir! :)

Actually, very little corrosive ammo is on the market these days. Nothing that the CMP currently offers is corrosive. The table below lists the dates that various facilities started making NON-corrosive ammunition. As you can see, just about anything produced after the early 1950's is safe.

http://www.survivalblog.com/img/noncorrosivedata.gif

JohnR
12-24-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm glad you guys made me do the research. There's nothing like trading knowledge to get a newbie up to speed.

TucsonMTB
12-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Congrats JohnR, that is a really nice rifle. I've wanted one for a long time, but was never able to pick one up. Thanks to Tuscon about the warning about ammo and the gas rod, it's better to be safe then sorry, especially on a nice rifle like John got.
+1 . . . And, thank you for the kind words, sir. :)

I'm glad you guys made me do the research. There's nothing like trading knowledge to get a newbie up to speed.
That is kind of you to say, sir! My Garand is not quite as old as I am, but it has still earned the right to a little extra care.

Here's hoping you continue to enjoy your venerable, old rifle too. ;)

Now, it is time for this old f@rt to fade back into the woodwork. http://home.mindspring.com/~justsomeguy/icon_lol.gif

DeaconKC
12-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Tucson, thanks for that chart!